Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2018, 18:44   #1

Radar Data Access

I’m looking to purchase marine radar that will allow me to access raw (doppler) radar data.

I’m planning on relaying this data via 3G to my servers for processing.

Any particular brand/model you would recommend that will allow me access to this data? I’m partial to Furuno but I doubt that their data format/protocols are open.

I’m an engineer and open to doing a bit of hardware and/or software hacking to make this work.
einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 19:38   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49
Re: Radar Data Access

The Furuno DRS4DNXT and the Raymarine Quantum 2 both use doppler technology but the signals are processed before the output. You would likely have to do some serious hardware hacking to get the raw doppler data. Next time I have one in the shop I'll give it a better look to see what it's packing. That being said the data you need may be passed over the network. It wouldn't take much for someone with some programming skills to throw together some software to parse the network data of one or both of these radars. They both use ethernet.
KeelMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 22:42   #3

Gotcha. If you’re selling the Furuno DRS4DNXT (or Raymarine, but particularly the Furuno), together with their corresponding displays, let me know!
Old 11-04-2018, 02:22   #4

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein View Post
Gotcha. If you’re selling the Furuno DRS4DNXT (or Raymarine, but particularly the Furuno), together with their corresponding displays, let me know!
I don't think the Quantum 2's have quite shipped yet. Quantum 1 has been around for a while.
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 17:10   #5

Anyone know whether the DRS4D-NXT can be used with an Android tablet or is the NavNet TZtouch display required?
Old 12-04-2018, 18:47   #6

You can connect to the DRS4D-NXT with the latest version of TimeZero Pro on a pc but they don't have an Android app. They do have an iPad app that will work with the DRS4W but that radar isn't doppler. Maybe in a year or two.
Old 12-04-2018, 19:08   #7

The DRS4D-NXT product description on the Furuno website says: When the “Rain mode” is on, rain echoes are shown in blue. This mode is particularly useful as it has the capability to detect targets masked by rain clutters.

Do you know if TimeZero Pro will show these rain echoes?

Also, any idea how much the TimeZero Pro software for PC costs, roughly?
Old 12-04-2018, 19:21   #8

I'm not certain TimeZero Pro will show that but I am willing to bet it will. Integration between TimeZero and Furuno gear is top notch.

The TimeZero Pro software and Radar module will set you back close to $1500. Compared to a TZ Touch that's nothing.

I might have to talk the boss into setting up a TimeZero Pro system in our lab for me to play with.
Old 12-04-2018, 19:25   #9

Thanks a lot. I'll confirm that TimeZero Pro does indeed display rain echoes.
Old 13-04-2018, 09:25   #10

In preparation to talk my boss into setting up a TimeZero system I was refreshing my TimeZero knowledge. I found out the latest version of TimeZero Pro does not require the radar module; dropping the price to about $1250.
Old 14-04-2018, 08:52   #11

Ah, that is great. I'm wondering if the DRS4D-NXT actually sees up (azimuth) i.e do you know whether it can detect clouds?
Old 15-04-2018, 07:52   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Anyone tried yet to decipher Raymarine HSB protocol?

My old Raymarine Pathfinder RADAR has an option to transmit RADAR data on the HSB port, but of course its a proprietary protocol
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 19:12   #13

Boat: Riva 48

You are better off using the Raymarine Raytech software to connect to the radar. You will still need an adapter from HSB to a PCMCIA card to a SUB cable. You can find these on eBay sometimes. If you still have energy you can try to intercept the data traffic with an app like Wireshark and eventually reverse engineer the protocol. It is not worth it in my opinion.

You should upgrade at least to an E80 display which converts the analog data to Ethernet and the Ethernet protocol is already reverse engineered.

The Pathfinder series, while great equipment at the time, is just too old to spend time on in 2018. It does not do AIS overlay and that is a problem.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 19:22   #14

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
You are better off using the Raymarine Raytech software to connect to the radar. You will still need an adapter from HSB to a PCMCIA card to a SUB cable. You can find these on eBay sometimes. If you still have energy you can try to intercept the data traffic with an app like Wireshark and eventually reverse engineer the protocol. It is not worth it in my opinion.

You should upgrade at least to an E80 display which converts the analog data to Ethernet and the Ethernet protocol is already reverse engineered.

The Pathfinder series, while great equipment at the time, is just too old to spend time on in 2018. It does not do AIS overlay and that is a problem.

SV Pizzazz
Maybe when it dies, but it just keeps plugging along meets my needs.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 19:53   #15

Boat: Pan Oceanic 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelMe View Post
In preparation to talk my boss into setting up a TimeZero system I was refreshing my TimeZero knowledge. I found out the latest version of TimeZero Pro does not require the radar module; dropping the price to about $1250.
Ah good- I too am looking for radar and interested in this- does this mean that i can run the DRS4DNXT directly to a laptop without shelling out for a separate Furuno MFD? I really like that option if possible. If that is the case, can I then mirror the radar outlay to an ipad at the helm? I want to be able to work on the radar down in the cabin without the distractions of being at the helm, but don't want yet another single-purpose display unit cluttering things up the chart table...
po46camelot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar