Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2020, 12:44   #1

Boat: 2010 Leopard 46
Radar: 18 vs 24 inch? B&G vs Garmin?

I will be replacing most of my electronics on my 2010 Leopard 46 cat. We will be in the Sea of Cortez next winter and heading to the South Pacific spring 2021. We are live-aboard cruisers and will be doing frequent multi-night passages.

I and am trying to decide on B&G vs Garmin for the overall system and the radar. I like some of B&Gs 'SailSteer' features but we are not racers. I like Garmin's ease of use.
1. How important is it to get the radar from the same vendor as the rest of the system?
2. How important is the increased resolution of a 24 inch radar over a 18 inch?
3. What else should I be considering in the radar choice?

thanks!
Looking4Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 20:51   #2

Re: Radar: 18 vs 24 inch? B&G vs Garmin?

the radar must be same brand as screen. pick what screen you like. then buy their radar.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 21:08   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

The horizontal resolution is far better on the 24in vs the 18, for usually little added cost.
Old 09-02-2020, 21:25   #4

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Yes, choose your system first. The radome is just the bit you buy on top, very little difference really from one to the next with similar specs.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 00:35   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

You won't need high resolution or big range in Mexico or South Pacific--very little fog.

Best radar is Furuno. You will be better off without an integrated electronics package where a single failure can result in loss of all electronics. The most critical system is probably the depth sounder.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:17   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’ve had both and why many extoll the virtues of the B&G 4G Radar, I’ve not noticed it to be that much better than the Garmin I had, it will work well up very, very close to the boat where it seemed the Garmin had a longer min range, by close I mean 50 feet or less. It can see the bow for instance.
I’ve never had need of that, but it shows a technical edge I guess.
My B&G needed an expensive heading sensor for the Radar overlay on the chart to function, my Garmin did not.
There are several boxes to install on my B&G, where the Garmin was one simple box and one wire, well three counting power, Radar and sounder xducer.

Good luck interpreting the B&G manual, the Garmin I don’t think in all honesty that I read the manual after the install, darn thing is like an IPad, it’s so intuitive you just know what to do.

However after having it for a very short time the screen starting blanking out, thing would just go dead, called Garmin and found out it was a “legacy” unit they they no longer supported it, but I was lucky there were a a few exchange units left, so if I hurried I could get it replaced, but it was no longer supported.

With a Garmin, you have better like Garmin charts, cause that is your only option, luckily for me the ones for the area I was in anyway were excellent.

The B&G I can select from several chart sources, currently using Cmap in the Bahamas as they are Explorer based, and use Navionics in the US as it has the satellite photos and other “gimmicks” that look cool.

My take was that the Garmin was much easier to install and use, much easier, but only had once chart source, and what really makes me dislike them is about the time you need to get it repaired, you may find your only option is to replace, and likely the whole thing as the old Radar dome may not play with the new plotter etc.

The B&G luckily so far I haven’t had to have it repaired, but hope they don’t orphan products as fast as Garmin does, and the B&G is probably a more “professional” piece of equipment, but isn’t nearly as user friendly, four years or so down the road I still discover features if you will and honestly do not use it to near its actual potential.
If Garmin wasn’t so quick to obsolete their equipment, and especially if they allowed outsourced charts, then there would be no comparison in my opinion, but the planned obsolescence thing will keep me away
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:40   #7

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
You won't need high resolution or big range in Mexico or South Pacific--very little fog.

Best radar is Furuno. You will be better off without an integrated electronics package where a single failure can result in loss of all electronics.
I agree, I replaced all my electronics after a lightening strike, I went with Raymarine, MFD at the chart table and MFD in the cockpit. At night, coasting or in fog I run the radar continuously, if I split the screen things just get too small. I ended up using Raymarine's 'Rayview' on an Android tablet in the cockpit for the chart from the lwr MFD and the radar on the upper MFD. Although handy, it is just not convenient to have a tablet floating around the cockpit.

I have used just about every brand of radar made, and Furuno is always solid, easy to learn to read, you can pick out targets with FTC way up. And it is reliable and stable.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:53   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post

Best radar is Furuno. You will be better off without an integrated electronics package where a single failure can result in loss of all electronics. The most critical system is probably the depth sounder.
eg. the screen takes a sh==t and you have lost everything.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:58   #9

Boat: Riva 48

Furuno used to have the best radar, today the field is more even. I would say that Raymarine has the edge today (the CG went from Furuno to Raymarine for their ten year cycle) but from your point of view all radars are the same, the differences are small. I suggest you focus on the chartplotter interface you like the best, then add the corresponding radar.

The difference between 18" and 24" radome is 5 degrees horizontal resolution vs. 4 degrees horizontal resolution. This is only significant if you have two boats very close to one another and you want to see them as two targets instead of one at a distance. It is not worth it. If you could go to a 6' radar, that would be a big difference.

Radar works much better with an expensive heading sensor. This will also make your autopilot work better. It is definitely worth investing in one if you are upgrading today. One of the best new (last 20 years) features of radar is reliable MARPA, which in turn depends on the heading sensor and the software, Raymarine and Furuno are the best here) which allows you to track and measure the speed of nearby boats. I use it a lot.

So, if you want my recommendations, first decide if you are replacing the autopilot or not. This is the most expensive equipment to replace. Then decide on the chartplotter, then add the radar. I am a Raymarine fan and I also like Garmin. Furuno I find too expensive for what it is and navico I dislike because I do not like their MARPA implementation .

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:29   #10

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Neptune View Post
I will be replacing most of my electronics on my 2010 Leopard 46 cat. We will be in the Sea of Cortez next winter and heading to the South Pacific spring 2021. We are live-aboard cruisers and will be doing frequent multi-night passages.

I and am trying to decide on B&G vs Garmin for the overall system and the radar. I like some of B&Gs 'SailSteer' features but we are not racers. I like Garmin's ease of use.
1. How important is it to get the radar from the same vendor as the rest of the system?
2. How important is the increased resolution of a 24 inch radar over a 18 inch?
3. What else should I be considering in the radar choice?

thanks!
If you're set on a complete change out, then check out NTE, a French company with a stellar reputation among those in the know. They offer a navigation package, complete with N2K trunk, for about $7,000.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:01   #11

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

It is a constantly evolving market but a few points pop out.

Solid state radar is better for close-in maneuvering than traditional radar. The latest Doppler solid state radars offer a modest improvement again. Pretty much any radar will do the necessary job but when buying new why not go with the latest tech? Furuno, RM, and the Navionics stable (B&G, Simrad, Lowrance) all offer Doppler solid state radar; it appears that Garmin is using a non-solid state digital radar, a decade-old technology.

It is much more important to get a chartplotter that you are happy with than parsing the tiny differences in radar scanners. In this regard I find Furuno head and shoulders above the rest; Raymarine comes in second. I would actually avoid B&G and Garmin. Furuno and Raymarine have owned the commercial fishing market for years, and for good reason. I could write down a long list of advantages for Furuno, such as their broad choice of charts and their long support life (my 10-year old MFD8 is still serviced, new free NOAA chart updates come out annually, new Navionics and C-map charts can be bought) but I encourage the OP to download the manuals of the various chartplotters under consideration and read through them. You will find that Furuno has the most features and flexibility, followed by Raymarine. The rest have pretty simplistic (unhelpful) manuals and a real lack of flexibility. A recent thread here was trying to resolve a problem with a GPS output not being seen by the chartplotter; there was no user-accessible ability to see the N2K PGNs received, nor the explicit selection of location data source - i.e. nearly impossible to troubleshoot. What a pain... Please read the manuals and think about the differences in capabilities.

ARPA is a CG standard which defines radar features that presents target and collision information in a similar manner as AIS. For it to work a 10Hz electronic compass and knotmeter are required. Furuno has ARPA; Raymarine and others have MARPA (mini-ARPA) which is similar but does not meet the official specs. ARPA is helpful, and one of the several good reasons for having a proper N2K e-compass.

Personally I consider the choice of autopilot a separate issue: while it is convenient to control from the chartplotter I don't find that feature very compelling, nor do I want to have the chartplotter operating to control the AP. Make the AP independent.. YMMV.

On any new install the system should be NMEA 2000 (N2K) based. Using Airmar smart speed and depth transducers and an N2K backbone is absolutely the way to go. Use the officially-recommended DeviceNet cabling, not the proprietary connectors many vendors offer. Simrad cabling and connectors are simply junk - avoid. Since all of the major vendors use re-labelled Airmar sensors just buy the Airmar brand. Maretron is a great source of high quality DeviceNet cabling; I particularly like their Multi-port box, which is far tidier than using multiple tee connectors (I use three of the boxes).

I realize that Furuno costs a lot more than the others - a premium which I reluctantly paid - but the difference over the years has more than justified that cost. Otherwise buy RayMarine.

Greg

[Edit: For reliability there should always be an alternative means of displaying data, in addition to the chartplotter.]
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:21   #12

Boat: Sea Sport Voyager 30'

Two comments. The first is to go with what is easiest for you to operate. Everyone has their preference. Mine happens to be Garmin.

Two, the old adage of “Go big or go home” is certainly true. I’ll let you ponder that one for a while.

Good luck.
GWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 13:04   #13

One more point, following Greg’s excellent summary. Do not underestimate the cost of sensor replacement if you need to do it. One way to go is to stick with analog sensors that you convert to N2K with an itc box ($250) that you typically install near the mast, it takes speed, depth, wind and temp and puts them on the network. The other way, to replace all the sensors with N2K, could easily blow away your budget and require a haul out.
Old 10-02-2020, 16:43   #14

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
Furuno used to have the best radar, today the field is more even. I would say that Raymarine has the edge today (the CG went from Furuno to Raymarine for their ten year cycle) but from your point of view all radars are the same, the differences are small. I suggest you focus on the chartplotter interface you like the best, then add the corresponding radar.

The difference between 18" and 24" radome is 5 degrees horizontal resolution vs. 4 degrees horizontal resolution. This is only significant if you have two boats very close to one another and you want to see them as two targets instead of one at a distance. It is not worth it. If you could go to a 6' radar, that would be a big difference.

Radar works much better with an expensive heading sensor. This will also make your autopilot work better. It is definitely worth investing in one if you are upgrading today. One of the best new (last 20 years) features of radar is reliable MARPA, which in turn depends on the heading sensor and the software, Raymarine and Furuno are the best here) which allows you to track and measure the speed of nearby boats. I use it a lot.

So, if you want my recommendations, first decide if you are replacing the autopilot or not. This is the most expensive equipment to replace. Then decide on the chartplotter, then add the radar. I am a Raymarine fan and I also like Garmin. Furuno I find too expensive for what it is and navico I dislike because I do not like their MARPA implementation .

SV Pizzazz
A Furuno 19in radar had a horizontal resolution of 5.2*. A 24in dome is 3.9*. In a 360* circle that is more than 30% higher resolution. The higher res will help in a number of situations, like distinguishing a tug with a tow from a single blob, small boat or mooring float from sea scatter, etc. The additional cost is about usd $400. To me it is definitely worth it when you are spending that much on a new electronics setup.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 17:10   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
A Furuno 19in radar had a horizontal resolution of 5.2*. A 24in dome is 3.9*. In a 360* circle that is more than 30% higher resolution. The higher res will help in a number of situations, like distinguishing a tug with a tow from a single blob, small boat or mooring float from sea scatter, etc. The additional cost is about usd $400. To me it is definitely worth it when you are spending that much on a new electronics setup.

It is a fair point. But let’s put this number in perspective. Say there is a tug towing a barge 1 nm away from you. If the distance between the two is 500 ft or more both radars will show two blobs. If the distance is less than 400 ft, both radars will show one blob. If the distance is between 400 and 500 ft, only the larger radar will show two blobs. It is an improvement but not that significant. It is much better to spend the extra money on the 4G signal processing vs the larger radar.

Tags
garmin, radar