Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2018, 02:18   #1

Location: South Africa curent saling to the Bahamas from Annapolis
Boat: Knysna 500SE
Quick Windlass wired Remote - 12v or 24v

I am trying to establish if the wired remote control for a Quick windlass can be used on both their 12volt and 24 volt windlass systems. It is not clear on their website and the local supplier cannot give me a definitive answer.
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:41   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Quick Windlass wired Remote - 12v or 24v

Yes, the Quick HRC wired remotes will work with a 12 or a 24 v windlass.

They appear to be well made and one of the better marine wired windlass remotes.

However, the industrial crane switches are, I think, a much better choice. The large copper contacts of these industrial switches and tough casings mean they typically last much longer, but are also a fraction of the price. This means a spare can be carried and the original can be thrown away if they become intermittent.

The Quick remote does have the advantage over the industrial controllers of a nifty LED light (on most models), but long term reliability is the most important quality.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Yes, the Quick HRC wired remotes will work with a 12 or a 24 v windlass.

They appear to be well made and one of the better marine wired windlass remotes.

However, the industrial crane switches are, I think, a much better choice. The large copper contacts of these industrial switches and tough casings mean they typically last much longer, but are also a fraction of the price. This means a spare can be carried and the original can be thrown away if they become intermittent.

The Quick remote does have the advantage over the industrial controllers of a nifty LED light (on most models), but long term reliability is the most important quality.
Thanks for the information ....... I am busy with a new build and have specified a 24 volt system on the yacht and have the opportunity to buy brand new spare wired Quick windlass remotes on a clearance sale at literally an 80% discount so it makes sense to buy a spare (or two!) ........ the boats these were being used on were fitted with a 12v house bank.

My understanding (limited) is that the remote is basically a switch and therefore the voltage through it whether 12V or 24V should not matter. However if it has an LED function and the buttons light up for night time use it could then be an issue? .......... I have also emailed Quick but have not heard back from them.

Thanks once again for your input.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:09   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambretta View Post
I have also emailed Quick but have not heard back from them.

Thanks once again for your input.
The specifications list the input voltage as 6-30v.
KM have fitted one to my new boat with a 24v 4000 Maxwell windlass and it is working fine so I would grab the 80% discount .
Old 03-06-2018, 19:25   #5

It is important to remember that like most handheld remotes, the Quick unit is NOT designed for switching the windlass directly--they are only rated for 4 amps. They are designed to switch the coil side of a solenoid. If you try to switch the motor directly they will die in short order, possibly in spectacular fashion!

As for the voltage, 12 or 24 they do not care, and like most properly desgined LED circuits, the lamp is good for both voltages as well.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 00:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
The specifications list the input voltage as 6-30v.
KM have fitted one to my new boat with a 24v 4000 Maxwell windlass and it is working fine so I would grab the 80% discount .
Many Thanks and noted ......... I will call them shortly to secure my remotes

Who or what is KM? ............ excuse my ignorance
Old 04-06-2018, 00:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
It is important to remember that like most handheld remotes, the Quick unit is NOT designed for switching the windlass directly--they are only rated for 4 amps. They are designed to switch the coil side of a solenoid. If you try to switch the motor directly they will die in short order, possibly in spectacular fashion!

As for the voltage, 12 or 24 they do not care, and like most properly desgined LED circuits, the lamp is good for both voltages as well.
I really appreciate your input and insight (and that of Nolex too)

Good to know how the unit actually does work.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:11   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambretta View Post
Who or what is KM? ............ excuse my ignorance
Sorry for the abbreviation. KM is a yacht builder in the Netherlands. They have just finished our new yacht.

I did not specify the type of anchor winch remote,so this was selected by the builder. On our 24v system they have fitted one of the Quick HRC remotes.

It looks a well made remote and the LED light is surprisingly useful, but when anchoring almost every night and using a large windlass, the anchor winch remote has a hard life. I have yet to find a commercial marine wired remote that can last more than a few years with this type of treatment.

Maybe I have been unlucky, and perhaps the Quick unit will be more reliable, but if/when it fails I will probably change to one of the industrial crane controls.

I have also sourced a very nice industrial crane wireless remote that I will be fitting in the future, but I will report more when I have seen how well it works.

There is a thread on my new boat build here for anyone that is interested:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...st-147499.html

Tags
remote, wind, windlass