Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2019, 21:41   #1
Jae

Questions on outfitting the Garmin product line

First post here so be easy on me please.

My boat is old and the depth finder is the only electronic gear that still functions. I have been saving and am almost ready to splurge to outfit it with some modern tech. Being a geek I am not wanting gear that is decades old. I have done some reading and am fond of the feature set that Garmin can provide (mainly due to the quality of the maps I have seen on their systems). I'm currently considering investing in the following equipment:
  • GPSMAP 942xs
  • Gmr18 Hd + Radar
  • VHF 215 AIS Marine Radio
  • gWind transducer

I would like to mount the chartplotter at the nav station inside and use an ipad mirrored at the helm while underway. I have a local wifi network setup already for this.

The goal is to have the chartplotter of course, plotter controlled autopilot, AIS linked with the radio, radar, wind speed & direction, sonar/depth and weather. My questions are pretty basic...
  1. What do I need to buy to add the sonar/depth?
  2. How can I get weather reports or wind forecasts into the system? Would the Sirius XM module do this? Are these reports decent?
  3. Will any NMEA compatible VHF radio work with the chartplotter, such as Icom VHF Marine radios?
  4. What autopilot system would be compatible with a 30' Catalina tiller sailboat and this chartplotter? For example, the Raymarine ST2000 seems to be well liked and has an NMEA 0183 input - Could that be compatible with this chartplotter? On the surface it seems super affordable.
  5. In addition to the hardware units listed above and lots of cable, are there any other interfaces required to link this all together such as network boxes or hubs of some sort?

Bonus Question
The plotter supports IP cameras so I am wondering if an underwater wired IP-camera exists that I could mount on the hull 15" back from the prop to keep an eye on entanglements that might ease my mind a bit?
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 00:04   #2

Boat: Bavaria 35E
Re: Questions on outfitting the Garmin product line

I can answer a few of your questions. I have the 942xs

#2. Yes the Sirius XM module can be added, but I don't have first-hand knowledge of its performance.

#3. Yes

#4. I have an older ST 4000 autopilot that uses NMEA 0183, but I haven't integrated it as it is a bit convoluted requiring a Seatalk converter. Personally, I'd rather stay focused on my bearing and not be too complacent.

#5. A Seatalk network hub that handles 0183 to 2000 conversion.

Bonus Question: I have no answer for this, but I'd be interested in learning how you'd do the attachment and transfer the picture data above deck.
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 00:07   #3

Boat: Shannon 43 Ketch

You will like the Garmin equipment. We really like it.
Underwater camera? How would you wire that and keep it clean? GoPro on a stick is an easier solution.

You can get a sonar depth sounder by Garmin, cool feature. And if your geeking out that much, go with forward looking sonar. We currently have only depth, speed and temp....

When it all works, it's a beautiful thing but it can be finicky getting it all talking correctly...for something silly like a ground wire on any one of the attached items....just saying....

Remember sailing is wind in your face looking at the water and land, not a computer screen. Nice to haves only.
'87 Shannon 43' Ketch
svMarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 00:57   #4

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

There is no need to buy a Garmin specific depth sounder. Any NMEA2000 one will work with the same functionality, and likely be cheaper.

Same goes for the wind tranducer.

Radar and MFD must be the same brand, and so too the autopilot if you want to completely control it from the MFD, and be able to update it too.

Having the MFD inside and a tablet outside seems backwards to me. The MFD is daylight readable and waterproof and wont overheat in the sun. The tablet on the other hand not so much. Perhaps a second (cheaper) garmin MFD would be better, if your budget stretches
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 05:27   #5

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
I would like to mount the chartplotter at the nav station inside and use an ipad mirrored at the helm while underway. I have a local wifi network setup already for this.

The goal is to have the chartplotter of course, plotter controlled autopilot, AIS linked with the radio, radar, wind speed & direction, sonar/depth and weather. My questions are pretty basic...
  1. What do I need to buy to add the sonar/depth?
  2. How can I get weather reports or wind forecasts into the system? Would the Sirius XM module do this? Are these reports decent?
  3. Will any NMEA compatible VHF radio work with the chartplotter, such as Icom VHF Marine radios?
  4. What autopilot system would be compatible with a 30' Catalina tiller sailboat and this chartplotter? For example, the Raymarine ST2000 seems to be well liked and has an NMEA 0183 input - Could that be compatible with this chartplotter? On the surface it seems super affordable.
  5. In addition to the hardware units listed above and lots of cable, are there any other interfaces required to link this all together such as network boxes or hubs of some sort?

Bonus Question
The plotter supports IP cameras so I am wondering if an underwater wired IP-camera exists that I could mount on the hull 15" back from the prop to keep an eye on entanglements that might ease my mind a bit?
  1. You can add nearly any depth sounder and integrate the data. You might even be able to use what you have. If you change the display head you'll have to replace the transducer. More below.
  2. Sirius XM will work with that chartplotter. It's expensive and short duration (1 day for coastal, 3 days for offshore). I suspect that for an old Catalina 30 you won't be venturing far offshore. How about just using cellular data for weather information?
  3. Yes - any NMEA compatible radio will work. More below.
  4. Similarly any autopilot. I would be more interested in getting data OUT than IN. I'm cranky about route following so constant heading or wind angle (which does require data in) serves me well. It would be nice to get HDG from the autopilot fluxgate compass onto the nav network.
  5. Maybe. Most VHF radios still require NMEA 0183 for position. Your existing depth sounder is probably either NMEA 0183 or SeaTalk 1. Many underdeck autopilot computers, even NMEA 2000 units, have NMEA 0183 interfaces. The autopilot can be a network bridge. In the absence of that, Actisense makes some really good converters. NGW-1 converts between NMEA 2000 and NMEA 0183. They make a converter for SeaTalk 1 also.

I'd go for line cutters rather than an IP camera for your propeller. If you want cameras I'd think about one or two in the engine room. It's nice to be able to see fuel lines and lube oil lines and belts in the camera field of view.

I would put the chartplotter on the cabin top under the dodger (do you have a dodger? recommended) and use a laptop with WiFi and cellular below (cellular could be a phone hotspot).

Stock up on small SD cards. Two or three is plenty. Check the manual for the chartplotter - it will tell you how big is too big. You won't be able to update charts if your SD card is too big.

The Catalina 30 is a stout boat. Join the owners group.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 07:02   #6
Jae

Awesome replies everyone, thank you so much.

The camera option I was considering was this one from Amazon.

I seen a video of a yacht a few days ago that had a "peek port" from the aft cabin that had a glass panel view of the prop and I though that seemed super nice, rather than diving below to find there is nothing tangled. I like the idea of engine room cameras, never considered that, thank you. That would be worth investing a little into engine room LED lighting, both from the electrical cost as well as the benefits of the shortcut and ease of access (without access).

I know that for just a few hundred dollars I could just purchase a external monitor and install a stand-alone camera monitor system. If the MFD didn't support the IP camera I wouldn't even consider a stand alone system, just trying to use all the available features so I can to justify the cost of the MFD.

I know the idea of the MFD being below deck seems backwards, I am only considering theft, a big shiny 9" or 12" MFD can be very tempting to some I would think, and since it supports remote screen sharing I figured it would be a safer option.

I don't yet have a dodger. A hard dodger and rear arch are 2 projects that I wanna tackle in a DIY manner since I am one of the few that actually enjoys working with fiberglass.

For the weather and wind reports I might just have to stick with the SSB Radio and computers. I just the thought the idea of using the chartplotter for all I can get out of it (for the built in features) seemed like I was getting my money's worth out of it. Destination plans are primarily western Caribbean.

Lastly, I am not hoping to build out a system to keep my face locked to a computer screen. Quite the opposite in fact. Respectfully, I think if I am plunking down piles of money I want the system to do as much as possible so that I need to only glance for a few moments because it is an efficient and powerful system. Also I feel like my boat is a prime candidate for such a massive upgrade since most of the components need an upgrade. I wouldn't consider it otherwise on a boat that is older than I am. Probably wouldn't hurt resale value when I am ready to upgrade. Thank you all for the tips and help.
Old 27-11-2019, 05:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
There is no need to buy a Garmin specific depth sounder. Any NMEA2000 one will work with the same functionality, and likely be cheaper.

Same goes for the wind tranducer.

Radar and MFD must be the same brand, and so too the autopilot if you want to completely control it from the MFD, and be able to update it too.

Having the MFD inside and a tablet outside seems backwards to me. The MFD is daylight readable and waterproof and wont overheat in the sun. The tablet on the other hand not so much. Perhaps a second (cheaper) garmin MFD would be better, if your budget stretches
That is correct and what we do. Tablet below deck.
Also Garmin relabels the standard depth sounder, can't think of the brand.
'87 Shannon 43' Ketch
Old 27-11-2019, 06:43   #8

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by svMarite View Post
That is correct and what we do. Tablet below deck.
Also Garmin relabels the standard depth sounder, can't think of the brand.
Airmar. They make probably 99% of the transducers you'll find on our cruising boats.

@JAE
As for IP cameras (above the water) it might be worth reading the recent Panbo post on generic IP cameras and compatibility. If the new Garmin unit plays nicely, it could save a lot of money.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 09:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Airmar. They make probably 99% of the transducers you'll find on our cruising boats.

@JAE

As for IP cameras (above the water) it might be worth reading the recent Panbo post on generic IP cameras and compatibility. If the new Garmin unit plays nicely, it could save a lot of money.
Airmar, that's it!

The camera idea is cool for navigating coral heads...put the camera below the steaming light looking down at a 45 deg.....
Thanks for that idea!
'87 Shannon 43' Ketch
Old 27-11-2019, 09:05   #10

Airmar, that's it.

Your mention of an IP camera gave me a great idea to put a camera under the steaming light for navigating coral heads and shallows...

Thanks
'87 Shannon 43' Ketch
Old 27-11-2019, 09:55   #11
Jae

Personally I thought forward facing sonar using the Panoptix Livescope system would be better in shallow areas than a camera when it comes to navigation. Clarity could be an issue with a camera. Reflection is an issue even when you have eyes on or in darker conditions.

The downside is I don't know anyone that uses Panoptix yet to get opinions on it's effectiveness as a navigational tool. Most reviews focus on it's abilities to find fish and structure fish use, but structure is structure right? Now I sound like I am an advocate for Garmin haha... I am fond of other brands, I think Raymarine has a very high build quality and longevity of service too. Again I am just looking toward Garmin because the quality of their maps.
Old 30-11-2019, 18:03   #12

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
Personally I thought forward facing sonar using the Panoptix Livescope system would be better in shallow areas than a camera when it comes to navigation. Clarity could be an issue with a camera. Reflection is an issue even when you have eyes on or in darker conditions.

The downside is I don't know anyone that uses Panoptix yet to get opinions on it's effectiveness as a navigational tool. Most reviews focus on it's abilities to find fish and structure fish use, but structure is structure right? Now I sound like I am an advocate for Garmin haha... I am fond of other brands, I think Raymarine has a very high build quality and longevity of service too. Again I am just looking toward Garmin because the quality of their maps.
I replaced all my electronics a year ago, except for my Horizon Standard GX2200 VHF. It has a built in AIS receiver and the ability to contact an AIS target directly with DSC. It’s a few years old but the same model is sold today.
I replaced my Raymarine C80 chartplotter with a Garmin 7610.
I replaced my Raymaine radar with a Garmin GMR Fantom Doppler unit.
I replaced my Raymarine ST60 Wind instrument with a Garmin gWind unit coupled with a GMI 20 display
I replaced my Raymarine ST60 Tridata with a new Raymarine i50 Tridata system
I replaced my through hull depth transducer with an identical Airmar unit
I added a Garmin AIS 800 Transceiver
I replaced my Raymarine SP X5 wheel autopilot with a Raymarine EV-100 wheel autopilot
I replaced my masthead VHF antenna and cable
Since I was going this far I also replaced all the cables and wires in my mast and added an LED masthead anchor light and a LED steaming light/deck light combo. My mast never came equipped with a wire conduit so I (full disclosure a buddy helped me with the design and install) installed a 1” PVC wire conduit from the masthead to the foot of the mast.
Every wire from my breaker panel to the instrument is a brand new replacement, nothing new touches anything old, so to speak.
I’m happy to say everything worked perfectly this season, including a singlehanded passage to Bermuda and return.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 19:44   #13

Boat: Bavaria 35E

For my Garmin 942 I have a bail mount that tilts and swivels and allows me to easily remove the unit from the helm and store below. It's mounted to the handrail that comes above the helm station. I tried tablet at the helm - it was terrible in terms of visibility in the sunshine. It now resides at the chart table below.
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:11   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post

Stock up on small SD cards. Two or three is plenty. Check the manual for the chartplotter - it will tell you how big is too big. You won't be able to update charts if your SD card is too big.

yep hard lesson for me - I started out with 64gigs and found out later after much fussing with it and studying and emails, Garmin equipment only take 32's! That's a ton of charts. I use one for transfers for software updates and one for charts. They're inexpensive.
'87 Shannon 43' Ketch
Old 02-12-2019, 11:48   #15

That plotter will be great and you'll like the iPad mirroring. But I think you'll be very disappointed with the iPad readability in the cockpit on sunny days. Even my new superbright iPhone 11pro is WAY dimmer than the Garmin.

For theft, get a Navpod case for the cockpit. Your average crook would take a while to figure out how to open it. Or not even know what it is. And add a sunbrella cover too to get it out of sight. Most determined crooks find it quicker and easier to just use a screwdriver to break the lock into the cabin.

Get the DST800 speed/depth/temp transducer. Great for sailboats. Very reliable. The paddle wheel needs to be cleaned every six months or so but it's easy to do from inside the boat. You want a water speed sensor so that the chart plotter can compare it to the GPS speed and display the speed and direction of current/drift. Important for a sailboat. If you are an avid fisherman, you might want a fancier transducer but almost no sailors use them.

The Sirus is expensive with a monthly charge and probably won't be around in a few years once Musk's satellites makes internet on your boat as cheap and fast as cable in your home. They go live next November in some areas. You won't want to leave your chart plotter on at anchor in the evening draining battery just to play music. You'll find you can get good internet music streaming within 10 miles of the coast without an amplifier. If going farther out, download some music before you lose reception.

Get an AIS transponder not just a receiver. If you are not transmitting AIS these days, you are a taking a big chance in crowded waters. Any boat over 65ft (the ones big enough to kill you) are using AIS as their primary anti collision system. On radar, 30ft fiberglass sailboats are hard to pick out from waves and birds. Transmitting AIS, you can't be missed. As your boat name is displayed on the ship's AIS, they can also hail you over VHF by name. Works a lot better than "Huge 1000ft tanker calling the little white sailboat on my port bow"

No advantage to a Garmin AIS. Look at the Vesper 8000. Connects perfectly to my Garmin chart plotter. Also displays via wifi on an iPad or phone - including most of your instrument data that's on the NMEA 2000.

With a transponder, you can save some money and get an VHF without AIS.

And if money is tight, the radar is the 1st thing I'd jettison. Radar used to be much more useful - but with a good chart plotter and AIS you'll find you hardly ever use it. I've probably only turned my on a dozen times in the last year - and that includes cruising in foggy Maine.

It will be difficult and expensive to mount that camera in a way that you get a good view of the whole propeller area. And the glass will grow barnacles ruining your view. I've never heard of a sailboat mounting a camera to watch the prop - I bet there's a reason. What does work OK is to mount a GoPro on a boathook.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin