Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2023, 08:41   #1

Boat: Dufour 29
Question about external GSP antenna on Garmin

My boat has an old depth finder that reads out on the traditional dial over the companionway hatch that is hard to read at night. I installed a second transducer to read through the hull for attachment to my older Garmin because it is easier to see at night. It turned out that I needed to get a different power cord/wiring harness for the Garmin that had a socket to plug in the transducer. I discovered that the present harness instead has a socket that fits a plug that runs to an external GPS antenna in a puck on the rail. In other words, I have two harnesses, one that plugs into the antenna and the other that plugs into the transducer, and in both cases there are also some extra color-coded wires left hanging loose. I would be able to either hard wire those or attach them to my own connecting plugs. Garmin support was not entirely helpful. My questions are these:

1) The GPS seems to work fine with the external antenna disconnected -- is there any advantage to keeping it?
2) Am I right in assuming that I could use the loose wires on either harness to connect the device that doesn't have a matching plug, that is, either the external antenna or the transducer?
3) Is it likely that the color coding on the Garmin harness is matched by the color coding on either the antenna or the transducer?
Thanks
Brioche is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, garmin