Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2017, 15:50   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Proximity Alarm on Ray E120 MFD

I need an assist on using an older Raymarine E120 MFD on a delivery.

The job will bring me by a several reefs, I would like to avoid . If it was a Garmin chartplotter, one could set a waypoint at the reef and add a proximity alarm. Then set waypoints for the route well clear of the hazard. But being belt and suspenders kind of guy, if something messed-up, having a proximity alarm for the reef, allows me to get some sleep while off watch. Looking at the Ray 120 instructions, I do not see the ability to set a proximity alarm for a waypoint not in the route.

Tools available on board are the Ray E120 and iNavx on my iPad, or a laptop with a GPS puck running OpenCpn.

Yes I know, I can set a waypoint an periodically check the angle to the WP and determine if the angle is less than the safety angle. But that is not fully goof-proof. And yes knowing location is part of proper watch-keeping. But having some digital back-up is just prudent.

Anyone still running one of those old displays? Any thoughts on how to add a layer of safety would be appreciated.

Thanks
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 04:50   #2

Boat: Adams 45
Re: Proximity Alarm on Ray E120 MFD

You can download the pdf manual from RayMarine, but the only navigation alarms they list are for arrival at a waypoint and off-track cross-track error. So the only option I see is setting the alarm for cross-track error to keep a safe distance from any reef.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 05:31   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Proximity Alarm on Ray E120 MFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjShap View Post
You can download the pdf manual from RayMarine, but the only navigation alarms they list are for arrival at a waypoint and off-track cross-track error. So the only option I see is setting the alarm for cross-track error to keep a safe distance from any reef.

Thanks. I had downloaded the manual, but did not think of using a cross-track error alarm.

Appreciate the assist. IOU 1 beer.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm