Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2010, 14:51   #1

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Problem with Icom Ram Mic - Considering Change

My ram mic needs replacing and I am considering changing the entire radio and replacing my navstation mounted Icom M402 with a Standard Horizon GX2100 with AIS with a remote ram. I currently have a helm mounted Icom Commandmic. Will I have to repull a new cable to my existing Icom H-127 ram mic or will the existing cable work with the Standard Horizon unit and fully display the AIS at the helm?

Can I also get this AIS signal to my Raynav 6 program on my laptop?
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 18:02   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
The cable isn't the issue - it's the plug on the ends which will require replacement and that is not as simple as it sounds. Long story short - save yourself the time and frustration and get a new compatible cable.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 06:09   #3

Thanks - Illusion

Thanks for the response. I assumed as much. I'll look into how hard this will be to pull in the new cable. I may wait and upgrade all my electronics in a year of two. I had a Raymarine full package installed in 2003 when I purchased the boat. Still works fine, but I like some of the new technology. that isn't available on my system.
Old 23-08-2010, 09:08   #4

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
.....Can I also get this AIS signal to my Raynav 6 program on my laptop?
I understand the Standard Horizon GX2100 has a built in AIS receiver with NMEA output. You would therefore just need to use USB-COM port adapter (assuming you don't have spare built-in COM port) to connect the AIS NMEA output to laptop using standard dSub 9pin COM port connector (pin2 signal +, pin5 signal -).

You would then need to configure input to RNS prog on laptop to receive & display AIS data. Choose Setup>Instruments>Manually Config Instruments. Select COM port that is receiving AIS data from those displayed, then select "AIS NMEA 38400" from drop-down menu & your done.

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 08:44   #5

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Have the 2100 - awesome radio. Also have the remote mic (not installed, but expect it to work well). I have the remote mic and SH radio in my other boat, the remote works great - clear, loud, large display. Just awesome!

I have the 2100 integrated into my system feeding my chartplotter AIS info, and the chartplotter feeds the AIS/VHF with lat/long/sog/etc as well.

SH has some diagrams on their site on how to integrate it.

The only significant issue is the 2100 has lower than standard power on the AIS NMEA output, it may not work on some chartplotters. It did not on mine (lowrance) initially. I had to put a pull up resistor in line to boost the power. If it doesnt work out of the box, you may need to do this.

If you have a few NMEA devices and want them to talk with each other, like in my setup (autopilot, tridata, GPS, AIS, fluxgate compass), you may need a multiplexer. I got the brookhouse AIS multiplexer (basically puts the NMEA, NMEA HS, Seatalk data into a stream that everything can read) After learning more than I wanted to about NMEA, it all worked out great! Everythnig talks with each other, including the AIS.

phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 19:04   #6

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to the boat tomorrow and will see how difficult the cable pull looks.
Old 26-08-2010, 05:14   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
You cant go wrong with Standards equip. Better radios then ICOM IMHO and ive owned a few of both

dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 05:34   #8

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Tried quite a few in the past. Keep coming back to Standard. large display, speakers you can actually hear , durable, good features, good price.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 05:46   #9

Boat: Cape Dory
ICOM

I bought that same ICOM radio and the same RAM Mic last year. I was disappointed in them too. The RAM is the worst part with the second rate plug system -- which broke in no time. The Standard Horizon plug is engineered to be much much stronger. I am also no fan of the ICOM cords which are too thick and stiff for my taste.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom