Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2020, 15:35   #1

Boat: Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Powering a TV

I am just planning the electrical installation for my next boat (around 50 feet, 800Ah house bank and 1200Wp solar). Admiral and deckhands demand a large TV set (something bigger than 40 inch). I have spent a couple of hours to find TVs running on 12V, but this seems to be very difficult, all I could find was a 32" model with a serious price tag and questionable quality (Englaon). I understand, there are three possible solutions:

1. Use 12V and buy something expensive (maybe directly from China)

2. Use a small pure sine inverter just for the TV which runs on AC

3. Wire the TV (AC) to the large central inverter for appliances (more loss?)

Which one would be the most practicable solution (I understand that boats are always a compromise.....)?

Regards,

-Richard

P.S.: Same problem with the computer monitor for the nav-station.....
Old 08-01-2020, 15:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Powering a TV

We went with 3 initially and as you probably know to run a TV off of a 2800 W inverter is inefficient.
So I installed a high quality 120W I believe inverter that just runs the entertainment system, it’s high quality and efficient. I have it wired so that it’s powered by the CB that runs the entertainment system everything except the TV and the Dish receiver is DC.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went to circuit city or similar and looked at all the TV’s and to me a Samsung “smart” TV had the best picture and of course it can WiFi from the phone watch Netflix etc.
Get a good high quality TV. Another option is to find a TV with a power brick like a laptop charger often is, if you find one that is 12V. Then cut it off and wire the TV direct to the DC power supply. I did that last TV, but the Samsung is just a much, much better picture.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 16:02   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

I used to use exclusively TV/monitors that had 12V external power supplies. But more and more those are going to 19V, requiring a DC-DC converter. And in the size you're talking more difficult to find. And more limited in selection of which screen technology and quality.

So, we've done as A64, have the smallest Victron Phoenix inverter available. The no-load draw is about 3W (0.25A @ 12V), way less than the bigger 2kW unit we have for other uses. And, also as A64 said, it only gets turned on when we want to use it. The efficiency numbers aren't as good on paper with the small inverters because even that tiny no-load current pulls them down when total output is < 100W, but still way less total power usage than the big one for just running a monitor/TV.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 16:05   #4

Hi a64pilot,

I came along that idea with the "power-brick" for the computer monitor problem. Many of them run on 19V and would require a voltage converter. The biggest problem is, these models usually are thin design cases and do not come with a VESA mount.......

-Richard
Old 08-01-2020, 16:11   #5

If I would do that for the Nav-station monitor, is there likely any problem with RF-interference from the inverter?

-Richard
Old 08-01-2020, 16:15   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
If I would do that for the Nav-station monitor, is there likely any problem with RF-interference from the inverter?

-Richard
There is a risk, and it depends greatly on the inverter. We only have one 'display' on the boat, at the nav station. Haven't had any problems related to noise/interference (and have tried turning it off a couple times to evaluate the noise). Our big inverter does cause a fair amount of noise.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 17:08   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
I am just planning the electrical installation for my next boat (around 50 feet, 800Ah house bank and 1200Wp solar). Admiral and deckhands demand a large TV set (something bigger than 40 inch). I have spent a couple of hours to find TVs running on 12V, but this seems to be very difficult, all I could find was a 32" model with a serious price tag and questionable quality (Englaon). I understand, there are three possible solutions:

Which one would be the most practicable solution (I understand that boats are always a compromise.....)?

Regards,

-Richard

P.S.: Same problem with the computer monitor for the nav-station.....
I power mine via a 300w inverter that ibhave wired ti the DC TV breaker
Old 08-01-2020, 18:58   #8

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

We purchased a Dell computer monitor thats maybe 27 inch, and is powered with 110 volt plug that goes to a brick that comes out 12 volt to the monitor. So we replaced that plug with a 12 volt going to a cig lighter plug. We play DVD to it thru a Fusion player. Sound is thru the stereo speakers. We only watch movies at night, and while cruising we are so active during day that we usually dont make it thru the show before falling asleep!
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 19:01   #9

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Majestic also makes a line of televisions with international tuners that power off 12 volt
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 20:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Majestic also makes a line of televisions with international tuners that power off 12 volt

The biggest TV here is again 32" with a price tag of 700$

El Cheapo 50" LED-TV (JB HiFi) 400$ + 50$ Inverter.

-Richard
Old 08-01-2020, 20:10   #11

Jensen makes a 40" 12 volt tv. I have a 32in Jensen and like it very much
motion30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 20:14   #12

OK, thanks for your thoughts. Decision is made for a good quality small true sine inverter plus any decent TV set bought near the place where the refit will be done. In this case, I can send the crew to do the purchase in order to keep them happy and avoid mutiny......

-Richard

P.S.: The idea of buying a Dell monitor seems tempting - I just have big problems to find a current one with the "brick".......
I just tried to search for bricks and find the monitor belonging to them. Hmmmm (not smart enough) I found just discontinued models.
Old 08-01-2020, 20:23   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Jensen makes a 40" 12 volt tv. I have a 32in Jensen and like it very much

Nice. Just did a quick google: Maybe cheaper in the US but I really like the price tag and especially the shipping cost to Australia :

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JENSEN-B...oAAOSwotlceXOr

OK, it comes with a marine tag (I forgot the conversion factor, but seems to be 2x to 5x the price if there is a little sticker with "marine" on it).......

Also have a look at the little warning - stating that this product may be harmful......

-Richard
Old 09-01-2020, 04:33   #14

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

We do #3 and accept any loss as just a minor detail. Our inverter services all of our standard AC outlets, so at any given time that could include the main TV/stereo/entertainment system, a second TV, a combo microwave/convection oven, toaster, coffee maker, electric recliner chairs, laptop/tablet/phone chargers, etc. I preferred the flexibility, and never really notice any significant inverter loss...

-Chris
Old 09-01-2020, 05:05   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The most efficient and practical way as has been suggested is to find a model with a power brick and then use a DC to DC convertor to reproduce the required voltage. If the power brick output is the same as the house battery bank this is even better the DC to DC converter can be dispensed with, but this unlikely especially with a 12v system. There is some concern the variations in the house battery bank voltage may cause problems and the DC to DC converter avoids these issues.

The power savings come primarily from avoiding the double conversion. With an inverter powered appliance the house DC voltage needs to be transformed from 12v (or 24v) DC to 110v (or 240v) AC and then from 110v (or 240v) AC back down to 19v (typically) DC. The AC inverter also needs to have a tightly controlled output with a nice pure sinewave of the required frequency. As well as avoiding the double conversion the DC to DC converter will be powered only when the TV is switched on removing any parasitic draw associated with keeping an inverter powered when not in use.

However, you do need to careful and use an efficient DC to DC converter. If the components are chosen correctly savings in the order 20-30% are typical.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote