Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2017, 12:44   #16

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Portable or Hand-held GPS / Plotter

I have a 2016 ipad 12 inch pro with a bunch of different charts from several different manufacturers. Its used as a second, third or fourth set of charts to double check my Navionics or C-Map charts on my Raymarine Axiom main MFD.

Supposedly the new 2017 ipad pro's have a 600 nit display, up from I think 510 nits from the 2016. Has anyone purchased or used a newer ipad with the brighter displays outside? Ideally a 1000 nit display would rock.

How bout a newer Toughbook type tablet as a recommendation? I would really like to get a brighter viewable display in a tablet like device.

I have done a search but didn't find much addressing these specifics. I usually spend gobs of time investigating and searching but Im still scratching my cabeza.

Cheers all
mr336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 06:27   #17

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Portable or Hand-held GPS / Plotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
For those who are using a tablet PC or iPad, what charts do you use, where do you get them from, and for that matter, I suppose Open CPN is the way most go?

MXMariner with NOAA raster charts (in-app downloads) and Plan2Nav with C-Map vector charts (in-app purchase) on two Android tablets and one Android smartphone. (Complementing the two installed marine GPS units.) Don't know if MXMariner has in the way of world charts; never checked.

Haven't tried OpenCPN; "free" isn't a sufficient virtue when I see all the issues surfaced in their forum section here. I stopped arguing with software 10 years ago... Have had no "fix-it required" issues with MXMariner or Plan2Nav.

Edit: Ah. I see a this is a semi-old thread...

-Chris

Tags
gps