Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2013, 15:37   #106

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Re: Please turn your AIS off when docked/moored/anchored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Well, not many cruisers have their own wikipedia page based on their cruising experience. Evans Starzinger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Drop down to the second paragraph to read how many prestigious cruising awards have been given to Evans.

Q. How many?
A. Just about all of them.

Gee, is it hard to get on Wikipedia?
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 15:45   #107
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post

Gee, is it hard to get on Wikipedia?
No, but when I patrol new pages, it's hard to stay on

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 15:57   #108

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

Yes, you can't trust that government. Next thing you know, they will be tracking your movements and taxing you for every mile travelled! Here's a suggestion - Buy an AIS transmitter, but leave it at the dock, powered on. That way the government can't find you.

The other side of this; Many folks blog on the Internet describing their entire trip. Where they are, what they are doing, who is with them, etc. I published a cruise I took but only after I got home so people wouldn't know I was away from home.

BTW: If you carry a cell phone you already have a locator beacon on your person.
If you like having your whereabouts broadcasted and recorded on the Internet then enjoy. Some of us prefer a little privacy.
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 15:57   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post

I love this about CF. Famed cruiser Evans Starzinger starts a thread about a legitimate topic he experienced while actually cruising and five posts later an average joe schools him on how to be a real seaman.

Frank
If nothing more useful than to disrespect others, please look at yourself first......oh and please do everybody a favour and don't take yourself so seriously!
DJBrookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 16:00   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post

Yes, everyone has a voice, some more than others even!

My point was it is a little presumptuous to assume that Evans a) doesn't know how to operate his equipment, and b) doesn't keep a proper watch.

Frank
Sorry point is, please everybody stop preaching and presuming a superior intellect, live and let live. Life's way too short for squabbles.
DJBrookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 16:09   #111

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Evans, I don't agree with you that AIS being on while docked is equivalent to "pissing on the commons" or being a bad apple and having low moral standards. That label, and your definition of what is "the commons" and what is "moral" is your personal one and, to your obvious frustration, not shared by all here. Many of us are full-time cruisers like you. Frankly, your attitude on this reminds me of certain powers that be in FL ...

Some have black box AIS's that are wired to the common nav instruments that may be in use at the time (just taking on fuel, planning on a chartplotter, fixing or testing something, etc). So turning them off involves rewiring to a separate switch and remembering to turn it back on. And not all of us sail in areas where a lack of AIS targets would remind us that our units were off.

Many, of course, are simply leaving their electronics powered because that is just what they do. I often experience situations where public internet access is slowed because people leave their routers on all the time, even when not in use creating IP bottlenecks and hidden node problems. Same issue regarding commons, although admittedly not a navigation one. But that is life, and I have changed both my gear and my tactics for this situation and have refrained from pedantic tilting against windmills.

Unless you were using your AIS to move around the docks, the CPA/TCPA filters, properly adjusted, should have taken care of everything.

On our display system, we have the ability to turn off the alarms for slow moving boats outside a reasonable alarm zone, while allowing alarms from faster boats. We also can have different color icons for those boats - slow/anchored are gray, moving above a selected speed but not a potential danger are green and those that set off our alarm criteria are red.

So we don't need our head buried in a screen, we simply need a quick glance to see and understand the situation.

We can easily sail (and have many times) through Newport harbor and have no issues understanding the situational environment wrt AIS.

You really do need to either understand your current unit's filtering capabilities better, get a unit with better filtering capabilities, or adjust your tactics in using the unit.

This "problem" is here and only going to increase. There are valid reasons to have the AIS on, and I agree there are also times of no reason to have it on. But leaving it on for any reason isn't reprehensible or a moral failure of seamanship. Not learning how, or not willing, to adjust to this newer navigational environment does bring some questions to mind.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 16:11   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I wonder how folks coped before AIS?
Newport really didn't have much going on sailing-wise until AIS came on the scene...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 16-05-2013, 16:14   #113
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Well, not many cruisers have their own wikipedia page based on their cruising experience. Evans Starzinger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So does Groucho Marx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but I ain't taking advice on AIS from him either..........

....even though likely funnier. and more useful.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 16:14   #114

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I suggest we stop the ad hominem attacks and responses.

For me, I am most interested in the quality of an argument and not the credentials of the proponent. As long as a position is supported by reasonable logic/observations/facts then it is something to consider while forming my own view.

As for the idea of adjusting the alarm settings, I think there is still room for improving the situation over a general "coastal" setting. If it were me I would turn on the "smart" alarm that used CPA/TCPA and turn off the "dumb" guard zone alarm. This would eliminate alarms from stationary vessels, unless the operator is heading for one, but still alarm on potential collisions.

My 2¢.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 16:14   #115

Boat: Outremer 5X

I really don't see the point of the alarm - surely it means you weren't maintaining a proper watch if you're not watching all the targets closely? Relying on AIS alone didn't work out so well in the Vendee this year. I can see the point if you are sailing solo, but doing that means you are accepting that you aren't maintaining a proper watch in general when you are sleeping.

I just turn all the audible stuff off and have the colors change on MaxSea and watch the targets closely.

We do just turn ours and our instruments off when we are at anchor, but we also turn it on way before we ever leave as part of a departure process. I don't buy that this is a pissing on the common thing - that's just angry rhetoric.
dan360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 16:19   #116

Quote:

Drop down to the second paragraph to read how many prestigious cruising awards have been given to Evans.

Q. How many?
Evans and Beth, by all accounts, are accomplished and knowledgable cruisers. There are many others also. Because they worked hard to share their experiences and knowledge, they gained publicity and notoriety (the good kind). Others haven't chosen to work in this way. We all appreciate and acknowledge the work and experiences of Evans and Beth. I personally have supported them by buying their books and paying to see them talk (well, Beth at least - sorry Evans). And I have learned from them.

However, blind acceptance and defense based on "fame" only is disturbing.

Can you really not imagine any situation related to boating that you may know more about than a "famous" person? Do you really expect "famous" people to know absolutely and summarily everything about everything? Is a "famous" person's ideal of morality better than yours regardless of how it aligns?

Is it possible that Evan's issues could be solved by a little better understanding of his equipment or a slight change in his tactics in using it?

If I write this in a Wiki, would you listen more?

Mark

Old 16-05-2013, 16:46   #117

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:

Q. How many?
That's fine, but in this case, he's coming off like nothing more than a grouchy old man. People will do what people will do and awards won't change that.
Old 16-05-2013, 16:53   #118
cruiser

Speaking as an Old Man, (note the caps) he's not that old.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 18:25   #119

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
That's fine, but in this case, he's coming off like nothing more than a grouchy old man. People will do what people will do and awards won't change that.
This is almost a word for word quote of what my wife says about me!
Except for the "awards" part.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 19:23   #120

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

There's definitely more than one grouchy dude in this thread. I'll buy a round for all of you. Sounds like Evans opinion on idle AIS targets was to some like a threat against God, Guns or Manson supreme

In a perfect world, AIS targets would be meaningful, and boats not underway, or not in navigable channels would stop broadcasting. And people would not leave gates open on my farm, or let trash blow out of the back of their pickup. Ya right.

Fine I get the uses in the anchorage. So everyone knows who you are, and can call you without dinking over to say hi, or can see you drag anchor -as if they would see that on AIS first. OK, maybe that's useful, but kind of a stretch with my anemic imagination. MAybe not, might have been done for all I know. Of course in a storm, when many have their engines idling, and full nav/comms, then it makes sense.

Nonetheless, you're free to do as you please, but lying at anchor in a crowded anchorage, broadcasting AIS in broad daylight doesn't really reflect the main purpose of the technology, just a way for us to justify our expensive toys and fully depreciate them. Maybe it's the facebook of the anchorage now....
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais