Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2013, 03:20   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Plastic or Bronze Transducer Housings?

I am inclined to use bronze transducer housings, although they are much more expensive. It seems to me that in case of grounding, or a misplaced lifting strap, a bronze-housed transducer will be much less to crack and leak or flood the boat.

Am I being paranoid here, or what do you guys think?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 03:30   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Plastic or Bronze Transducer Housings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I am inclined to use bronze transducer housings, although they are much more expensive. It seems to me that in case of grounding, or a misplaced lifting strap, a bronze-housed transducer will be much less to crack and leak or flood the boat.

Well, I think you are being a bit paranoid. The bronze housing is designed for wooden (carvel) hulls to withstand the pressures of the timber expanding.

Think of the ten of thousands (prolly 100's of 1,000's) of plastic housings take haven't caused a problem.

But I am also paranoid about strength at times so I can understand why you might go bronze
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 03:42   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Hmm, well I don't want to go overboard with it. I'm not near the boat and can't remember whether the original transducer housings are bronze or plastic. If they're plastic then I don't think I will bother with bronze, which is special order and hundreds of dollars extra. But I have to order them tomorrow, so I won't have a chance to check
Old 17-02-2013, 05:16   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

transducers will work through a fiberglass hull without the need of a through hull fitting.
some epoxy putty and a tube for the sender unit mounted on the inside of the hull is all you need.

http://www.tomneale.com/tips13.html

http://www.dngoodchild.com/7752.htm
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 05:24   #5

Boat: Moody 376

Our ancient Stowe depth sounder has a plastic fitting... I reckon they're fine as long as they're fitted well... you can glass over the locking nut to be super safe.
sharpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 05:44   #6

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Chances are that you have an AIRMAR. They make transducers for everyone. They make them with impegnated fiberglass like the Maralon valves.

A lifing strap right on the senser will sometime just break to spin wheel, which has happend to me, but thats all.

Its important to mark your boat for the lift straps.

Plastic would be the way to go, so you have no bonding issues.

DST800 —Thru-Hull, Smart™ Sensor - Airmar Marine Transducers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airmar1.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	55022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airmar2.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	55023  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 06:00   #7

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32

The outside of the hull, no problem with plastic. It's a violent shift of cargo shearing off the inside that bothers me. Not likely, but being a good boy scout... My choice is bronze.
westsailwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 03:25   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsailwill View Post
The outside of the hull, no problem with plastic. It's a violent shift of cargo shearing off the inside that bothers me. Not likely, but being a good boy scout... My choice is bronze.
Not really any chance of that on my boat -- the transducers are under the sole in a separate mini-cofferdam, with no cargo around.

Hrm, sounding like plastic is ok. It will save me quite a bit of money.
Old 19-02-2013, 00:50   #9

Boat: Joubert Koala 24

I have plastic, and I have a spare. Both of them together cost less than a bronze one.
Tomm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 01:45   #10

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsailwill View Post
I think this is a myth, I have never heard of one of these breaking from shifting cargo or anything else.

On my last boat I replaced the Raymarine sounder and knot meter, when I upgraded the electronics....

I had to beat the old ones out with a 2 lbs hammer, since they were bedded with 5200.

They were still in one piece when they came out...

The are much stronger than you will imagine.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 11:38   #11

Boat: Creekmore 34

I am in the process of a refit and plan on upgrading the thru hull transducer.
Definitely want a depth, but can't decide whether to get the Tri Data with Depth, Speed and water Temp/
In this day of age of GPS and back up GPS is a speedo really worth the hassles of cleaning the impeller etc.???
Any thougthts?
Thanks
riggear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 15:49   #12

Boat: Corbin 39

I'm in the plastic camp, but just to get the paranoia going. When watching the last around the world race on TV, I recall a transducer blew out on a 70 footer. They were coming off a wave, and it blew it right up into the boat. I think it must have been the threaded ring holding the paddle wheel in place that failed. I bet you get that same plastic ring with a bronze through-hull triducer.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 15:55   #13

Boat: Tartan 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post

I think this is a myth, I have never heard of one of these breaking from shifting cargo or anything else.
Actually, friends of ours had their boat sink underway in a pitching sea when a spare danforth anchor broke free in the bow locker and sheared off a plastic thru hull. But haven't heard of such an occurrence since and that was 25 years ago.
malbert73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 16:06   #14

I would forego the impeller for speed. With GPS, backup GPS and GPS built into everything from your radio to your depthfinder... who wants an impellor that's always stuck anyway?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 16:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Well, I think you are being a bit paranoid. The bronze housing is designed for wooden (carvel) hulls to withstand the pressures of the timber expanding.

Think of the ten of thousands (prolly 100's of 1,000's) of plastic housings take haven't caused a problem.

But I am also paranoid about strength at times so I can understand why you might go bronze
So you approve of plastic thru hulls too? Just sayin'... it's the same thing really... transducer probably less stout... Not sayin' I dont approve of plastic transducers... just that most everyone disses plastic seavalves,, but this is no different....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote