Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2017, 01:05   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Pc programs to tablet

Hi all, ive always used plotters (raymarime) but more and more now i use pc and tablets. I don't want to debate what's better, I know which way I'm going.
Currently I have a Pc on the chart table with open cpn installed and Sas planet, I also use a tablet with navionics and now isalior.
Im not a IT man but really do appreciate this new technology.
My plotters are old and I'm not going to replace them. I intend to install a little ship computer (see dockheads post) for open cpn and sas planet.
My question is, can I somehow wifi sas planet to my tablet? I would like to have it at the helm. How?
I' like to be able to flick between the various programs on my tablet.

Cheers Dale.

Thanks in advance.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 03:57   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Pc programs to tablet

TightVNC Server (or similar) on the computer and Remote Ripple on an Android tablet will let you view and control the PC from the tablet over WiFi. It's very simple to set them both up and gives you full control of the PC from the tablet.
.Just for kicks, I've just fired them up and am now continuing this post in a browser on my PC by typing on my Android tablet.
OK, now I'm back on the laptop keyboard but looking at what I am typing on the tablet screen.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 04:14   #3
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Hi all, ive always used plotters (raymarime) but more and more now i use pc and tablets. I don't want to debate what's better, I know which way I'm going.
Currently I have a Pc on the chart table with open cpn installed and Sas planet, I also use a tablet with navionics and now isalior.
Im not a IT man but really do appreciate this new technology.
My plotters are old and I'm not going to replace them. I intend to install a little ship computer (see dockheads post) for open cpn and sas planet.
My question is, can I somehow wifi sas planet to my tablet? I would like to have it at the helm. How?
I' like to be able to flick between the various programs on my tablet.

Cheers Dale.

Thanks in advance.
If it's google earth satellite images you're after then you can create KAP chart files which opencpn can view, much more useful than sasplanet imho.

GE2KAP Help
https://www.venturefarther.com/
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 05:22   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

Thanks StM, I'll look into it, sounds like what I'm looking for.
Hi Conachair, I prefer sas planet as it gives me satellite options. Eg. Sometimes google earth imagery may be cloudy where bing or nokia isnt or vise versa. Also I can run then side by side.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 06:22   #5
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Thanks StM, I'll look into it, sounds like what I'm looking for.
Hi Conachair, I prefer sas planet as it gives me satellite options. Eg. Sometimes google earth imagery may be cloudy where bing or nokia isnt or vise versa. Also I can run then side by side.
Must admit I've never used sasplanet for any kind of nav - opencpn is just too good , though you can make KAP charts from any satellite source you want with ge2kap & sasplanet. I can run a raspberry pi over VNC but it's a bit clunky so much prefer opencpn running on the tablet using all the ais data coming from the pi.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 08:54   #6

Boat: Aquarius Pilot Cutter

The short answer is you can not transfer a program coded for a PC to a tablet since the operating systems are different. An exception to that is the Microsoft Surface Pro which is a large tablet/laptop computer hybrid so to speak. The Surface Pro runs a full version of Windows 10 just like your PC does.

I've been looking at these and the trend seems to be nav programs being designed for the Tablets, iPad in particular.
Hope this helps
Eric
Broadside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 09:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadside View Post
The short answer is you can not transfer a program coded for a PC to a tablet since the operating systems are different. An exception to that is the Microsoft Surface Pro which is a large tablet/laptop computer hybrid so to speak. The Surface Pro runs a full version of Windows 10 just like your PC does.

There are Windows tablets available that are smaller and cheaper than MS Surface ones. They run standard PC programmes. I have one and use it for navigation all the time running the PC version of OpenCpn.
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 09:25   #8

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AedanC View Post
There are Windows tablets available that are smaller and cheaper than MS Surface ones. They run standard PC programmes. I have one and use it for navigation all the time running the PC version of OpenCpn.
Yes, there is now a wide variety of MS-Windows tablets. I have a weakness for the Chuwi brand - they make decent units for great prices, from 8 to 12 inches screen size. I have several. Easily available on eBay.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 09:45   #9

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

This all very interesting glad you asked this question
Old 30-07-2017, 11:06   #10

Boat: Halmatic Nelson 40

Good responses and info....following this thread!
thebootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 13:54   #11

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

there is an open cpn app for android / once the app is loaded to your tablet connect the tablet to your pc by usb cord select as a storage device on your android then copy and paste cm93 charts to the open cpn folder
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 15:30   #12
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

This may be a dumb question, but having only a tablet at the helm, what if it's storming? Do you have it in some kind of waterproof casing?
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 17:10   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptsWife View Post
This may be a dumb question, but having only a tablet at the helm, what if it's storming? Do you have it in some kind of waterproof casing?
This works OK for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tablet.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	153088  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 17:32   #14
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
This works OK for us.
LOL. Wow. I'm glad that it works for you. I'd be scared sh!t!ess. I see you have cover. But is it enough? Well, hell. Don't answer that. Obviously it is for you! Still curious.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 17:46   #15

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

There are a number of programs out there that will clone your PC display to your tablet, and allow you to remotely control the PC from the tablet. Many are free. Alas, all the ones I have tried have been rather slow and clunky.

I have had good luck navigating with tablets and PCs, and often use a Microsoft Surface for navigation. I find it a good compromise between size, weight, convenience and power savings. But, no built-in GPS and NOT waterproof.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote