Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2019, 21:41   #226
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: pactor banned from the usa?

That’s all true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
So how do you feel about the misleading, them vs us, "pactor banned from the usa?" that kicked off this thread?

It's no secret that some boaters get into amateur HF simply for a lower-cost alternative to marine HF and paid-for services. Doesn't really make them hams... but if they passed the test, then all good, I say, and maybe they will in time get more into the ham part.

Fortunately, while we're all bickering at each other about minutae (it's encoded! no it's not!) and shouting stfu at each other, some of the few adults left in charge are trying to move forward towards a reasonable solution.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 22:07   #227

Boat: Rafiki 37

This seems like a good time to ask - I've been using Winlink to pull in weather info and send emails to friends/family - is Sailmail better at connecting?

I'm on a budget so I don't want to spend the 360 CAD (!) annually unless it's a big improvement on Winlink
Old 27-10-2019, 23:10   #228

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
This seems like a good time to ask - I've been using Winlink to pull in weather info and send emails to friends/family - is Sailmail better at connecting?

I'm on a budget so I don't want to spend the 360 CAD (!) annually unless it's a big improvement on Winlink
It will depend a lot on where you are. I gave up on Winlink stations a long time ago, so don't have current comparison. Sailmail is a good service and as long as you are willing to figure out the good time of day for a connection, you'll almost always get through. The good time of day requires more than just looking at the propogation tables.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pactor