Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2016, 03:59   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42
Outernet , possible alternative for Iridium or SSB weather ?

https://outernet.is/

discussion about weather / grib files receiving

https://discuss.outernet.is/t/wheres...p-gone/2142/10
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:25   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Outernet , possible alternative for Iridium or SSB weather ?

Website is unusable. They just use flowery words without telling you what they are selling... Even to the price page... $169 for what? It doesnt say!

So if you know maybe you could tell us, properly.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:58   #3

Boat: Lagoon 42

MArk
I dont know much either except what I gathered from the forum
Its a satellite receiver that receives files that are sent through the satellite
totally dependent on the supplier on what they send

What I understand is that for $169 you get a receiver + antenna so you can receive the files , which you can store on a HDD

thats all I know/see
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:03   #4

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Website is unusable. They just use flowery words without telling you what they are selling... Even to the price page... $169 for what? It doesnt say!

So if you know maybe you could tell us, properly.
I don't know for certain, and I have no connection to those folks, but it seems what they are doing is using 2kbps of L-band satellite data bandwidth to transmit arbitrary files. You can receive/demodulate/decode/store this data for free, or you can buy hardware from these folks and use open source software.

Exactly what data they intend to send is not clear. Based on the website, it would seem that users can submit moderate sized files for transmission. Based on the forum discussion, it would appear they are considering transmission of short-term GRIBs.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:13   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

Seems older Inmarsat hardware re-use. Some early version of Inamrsat broadband perhaps?

If, so, expect steep per GB charges.

Inmarsat would not sell to any business that could undercut their pricing.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:17   #6

Anyone has more info on claimed speeds/costs/etc. ?

I do not like the idea of buying the hardware from the same provider that later sells me the data. Been there done that, did not work for me.

b.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:24   #7

Boat: Liberty 458

L band transmission and curated review. Sounds low bandwidth with no fifo or guaranteed delivery capability. Their mention of grib and emergency or disaster support seems ambitious.

No mention of mesh networking or multiple hop capability. I couldn't see any explanation of how they procure satellite time. 20 Mb of content per day will not serve many people. I can't imagine immarsat will erode their own business for this service.

Good to see some innovation in remote area comms.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:35   #8

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

So it is basically a radio station, except they will transmit various data files beyond just audio.
Individual subscribers will have next to zero influence on what is broadcast.
It's a cool idea perhaps.. but does not seem to have much relevance to sailing and cruising.
With the low amount of data scheduled per day, and considering the widespread interest in celebrities and funny cat videos, I'd guess your chance of getting any GRIB file broadcast this way is going to be minimal...
Especially when you need it most.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:49   #9

Well. Someone has to make the first step though and I hope this company will get other smart heads thinking.

Data via one of the only two global players is still just too pricey. The problem is that the less expensive price/client base does not make any sense with the sat technology we have today.

Maybe when/if micro-satellites kick off things will change?

I have an idea that could work BTW. If anybody wants to fund an 'inexpensive' global data startup, PM me.

b.
Old 14-10-2016, 04:06   #10

Hello to all, I'm an electronics engeneer working exclusively with marine instruments, on youtube channel ElectronicMarine you'll find part of the instruments repair I'm doing and tips and tricks- just to present myself.
I'll try to make somme light on what's going on with Outernet:
Outernet is born as a solution to deliver part of the internet archives in remonte places of the world (like books, wikipedia ecc)and world wide news ecc, as someone mentioned it uses Inmarsat geostationary satellites on L band and transmits (for now) at aprox 90kb/sec (that's still faster than somme wheatherfax on ssb). This slow speed make the reception possible with inexpensive equipament (like a usb rtl-sdr dongle-born as a tv tunner) and Lband antennas like the ones Inmarsat uses for part of the services provided. The whole system funcion like this: you have to have a computer with the outernet software installed that always stay on and recive the data, this files get stored on an local drive and they are availeble either from a device conected wifi or directly on the computer. There are somme small computers like raspbery pi and chip (low power boards that work like a real computer) that can be used as main reciving system...
now from october 13-2016 they started to send the grib files and pictures Outernet Weather Updates Now Coming Down - rtl-sdr.com
Now let's talk about the service: THE SERVICE IS FREE FOREVER
From a sailor's point of view the only problem is reciving the signal with the boat in movement (on ground or with the boat stayng still there is no problem reciving with a patch antenna).
The costs of the reciving systems are: if you buy one of them boxes 100usd aprox, if you build a diy system around 50-60 usd.. not counting the antenna.
THE CHALLENGING PART is to make an antenna that can and will recieve the signal with the boat in movement, make the whole system in the way that is drawing power as low as possible, while recieving, and last but not liest make it waterproof and EASY INSTALL that way annyone can install it with no problems onboard.
The past days I'm gathering pieces and setup test ambients to make an omnidirectional antenna suitable for recieving outernet.
Since is working on relatively high frecvencyes i had to rent somme pieces of test equipament nedded for testing and building such antenna and still waiting for couple of bit and pieces for the antenna.
I'll keep you posted on how the tests are going and what results I've came with.
the goal is to make an antenna that cost under 150usd (one inmarsat L band antenna that could work is around 700usd) and an autonomus system under 300usd everything included.
Like outernet everythig is open source and who has the time and will to help is welcome, soon will be an online project site dedicated to this topic.
electronicmarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:24   #11

Boat: Robert 35 Centre Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicmarin View Post
Hello STALL that way annyone can install it with no problems onboard.
The past days I'm gathering pieces and setup test ambients to make an omnidirectional antenna suitable for recieving outernet.
Since is working on relatively high frecvencyes i had to rent somme pieces of test equipament nedded for testing and building such antenna and still waiting for couple of bit and pieces for the antenna.
I'll keep you posted on how the tests are going and what results I've came with.
Any luck with the Omnidirectional antenna?
yachtmanforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 23:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtmanforfun View Post
Any luck with the Omnidirectional antenna?
yes wee are working on it, on the first tryals wee managed to get an almost decent signal, now waiting for the high frecvency components to arrive to start building the circuit boards... it's not an easy job but I'm confident that can be donne, unfortunately seems that all the antennas must be tunned individualy for the best reception possible in the building stage...
electronicmarin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iridium, ssb, weather