Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2015, 01:04   #31

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat
Re: Opinion/Suggestion on Navigation Equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Furuno doesn't make charts - they license their format to Mapmedia, which makes the charts for them, as well as the decisions on regions and prices.

The NN3D will use CMap and Navionics charts, so if you like Navionics, you can use them on your Furuno.

The current software for the NN3D allows the use of larger SD cards. Ours is a 2011 model and I use a 16GB card in it regularly.

Mark
Cool, Mark. So, seems like I have to refresh my software. Lst time I was able to load the charts only 7GB card to PC-than one by one to 2GB card and than to NavPod. And, clear some memory slots for storage.
I'd like to share experience, if somebody tried to download Navionics onto Furuno.
Vladimir
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 04:04   #32

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARGESOL View Post
Cool, Mark. So, seems like I have to refresh my software. Lst time I was able to load the charts only 7GB card to PC-than one by one to 2GB card and than to NavPod. And, clear some memory slots for storage.
I'd like to share experience, if somebody tried to download Navionics onto Furuno.
Vladimir
I have the slightly older NN3D version that still wants 2 Gb cards, and I've not tried to download either Navionics or C-Map charts (but we use C-Map on the two back-up tablets)...

But I'd expect downloads are pretty much the same as with the NOAA raster and vector charts (for here in the US) that we routinely update. Download on a decent broadband connection, unzip, insert into MFD, answer yes, done. Helps to have several SD cards, of course.

Given our limited and planned navigation areas, we've not even used all the available memory slots in the MFD.

-Chris
Old 17-08-2015, 04:27   #33

You didn't mention what radio you had aboard, but in terms of equipment, that would be high on my list to upgrade. Since it appears your AIS transponder is factory programmed, I would look at upgrading the radio to one that included at least an AIS receiver. Many new radios have a built in GPS receiver so they don't need to be networked to your other nav systems, but provide some redundancy as well as being able to provide your exact position for both DSC and AIS purposes. If there is one thing I that has changed in the last ten years, it the emergence of DSC and AIS. I would connect that to at least a laptop or tablet to provide AIS and DSC information. I realize that this is not exactly a navigation issue, but to me, is a huge safety issue which I prioritize over the other systems. AIS transponders are still stupidly expensive, but the receive only systems have gotten relatively inexpensive and all the major radio manufacturers include AIS least receive only for not much money via N2K or 183.. My next question would be whether your chart plotter can display the AIS information. If not, that would probably drive me to replace that eventually. The other thing to keep in mind is that although N2K promises universal connectivity, I think that is more of a wish, so long term, I would pick a manufacturer and start putting the pieces together as time and money allow.
dwoodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 05:17   #34

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I have the slightly older NN3D version that still wants 2 Gb cards
I don't think this is a hardware issue - I'm pretty sure it was solved with software. v2.07, I think, which is two versions out of date, so you should update your software if you are that far behind.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 12:19   #35

Quote:
I don't think this is a hardware issue - I'm pretty sure it was solved with software. v2.07, I think, which is two versions out of date, so you should update your software if you are that far behind.

Mark

Ah. Thanks. I'm running 2.11 I think, at least two, maybe three updates from the original installation. Didn't notice any changes to the original instructions... so maybe it's evolved and I just haven't known it.

-Chris
Old 17-08-2015, 16:19   #36

Quote:
Ah. Thanks. I'm running 2.11 I think, at least two, maybe three updates from the original installation. Didn't notice any changes to the original instructions... so maybe it's evolved and I just haven't known it.

-Chris
Yep, I looked it up. v2.07 gave all NN3D units the ability to use up to 32GB SD cards. So you are good to go.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 18-08-2015, 05:28   #37

Quote:
Yep, I looked it up. v2.07 gave all NN3D units the ability to use up to 32GB SD cards. So you are good to go.

Mark
Thanks again, Mark, useful to know!

-Chris
Old 18-08-2015, 06:46   #38

For a few hundred dollars you can add a NMEA 0183 multiplexing and wifi device and broadcast GPS and AIS data to an iPad. With iNavX, SEAiq, SeaNav and possibly others, you can display AIS targets, GPS and wind data on the iPad. Recently I discovered the Pebble Smartwatch. Using SeaNav (also iRegatta) you can display the NMEA data on the watch.

Both the iPad and Pebble free you from the boat's instruments.

Rather than replace my 15 year old Raymarine gear, I added the wifi device, iPad and Pebble. As long as the boat instruments works, it doesn't really matter what chartplotter's at the helm! I think reliable gear, iPad and now the Pebble complete the puzzle.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 12:06   #39

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

I would avoid InavX its a scam. They force you to pay to download FREE NOAA charts! you have to have a X-Transervse account an purchase the free NOAA charts!!!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 05:46   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
I would avoid InavX its a scam. They force you to pay to download FREE NOAA charts! you have to have a X-Transervse account an purchase the free NOAA charts!!!

Geez, that's maybe a bit harsh. A guess: just because NOAA charts are free doesn't mean they are in a format the software can use...

-Chris
Old 24-08-2015, 12:19   #41

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Geez, that's maybe a bit harsh. A guess: just because NOAA charts are free doesn't mean they are in a format the software can use...

-Chris
Its an open format. That means the developers deliberately designed their software for a proprietary format. They counted on charging for those charts from the beginning.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 15:03   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Its an open format. That means the developers deliberately designed their software for a proprietary format. They counted on charging for those charts from the beginning.
That is an interesting point. Our Furuno chart plotter uses a proprietary format - however, they do not charge for the NOAA charts in that format. Maxsea on the computer is the same.

Navionics also charges for NOAA charts in their app, and I think Navico does too in their chart plotters. iSailor may be another app that charges.

So it is hit and miss - for those programs I have experience with: Furuno, Maxsea, OCPN, Coastal Explorer and SeaIQ do not charge for NOAA charts - while Navionics does.

It appears iNavX and Navico also charges for them. Possibly iSailor too.

Mark

Old 24-08-2015, 15:20   #43

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
That is an interesting point. Our Furuno chart plotter uses a proprietary format - however, they do not charge for the NOAA charts in that format. Maxsea on the computer is the same.

Navionics also charges for NOAA charts in their app, and I think Navico does too in their chart plotters. iSailor may be another app that charges.

So it is hit and miss - for those programs I have experience with: Furuno, Maxsea, OCPN, Coastal Explorer and SeaIQ do not charge for NOAA charts - while Navionics does.

It appears iNavX and Navico also charges for them. Possibly iSailor too.

Mark
Its different if the app is charging for NOAA charts that have extra information (i.e. integrated tides, satelite photos, extra navigation, ect). That makes total sense and that is what we call "Value Added" in the software industy. I beleive Navionics does this, but they don't allow use of the base charts.

However, I think all the apps should allow free use of the basic NOAA charts. The standard is open and easy to support. Frankly there is no excuse not to, except to make more money. I have no problem with companies making money, I just want them to make money by being innovative. Add usefull features, or extra information, ect.

I think it will be a whole different ball game WHEN the OpenCPN guys get a stable version on tablet devices. Based on the recent betas, I'm guessing 6 to 8 months or so!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 09:11   #44

Quote:

Development costs; how they recoup in this case doesn't seem (to me) overly-aggressive... especially since the user still gets a bit of choice in chart selection.

That said, I was more focusing on systems that may offer chart choices, where you get to pick from among NOAA, C-Map, Navionics, whatever (for example) and the development costs necessary to be able to use all those formats... and to make those compatible with all the various layers one might choose to offer on top of the charts.

Quote:
Its different if the app is charging for NOAA charts that have extra information (i.e. integrated tides, satelite photos, extra navigation, ect). That makes total sense and that is what we call "Value Added" in the software industy. I beleive Navionics does this, but they don't allow use of the base charts.

However, I think all the apps should allow free use of the basic NOAA charts. The standard is open and easy to support. Frankly there is no excuse not to, except to make more money. I have no problem with companies making money, I just want them to make money by being innovative. Add usefull features, or extra information, ect.

I think it will be a whole different ball game WHEN the OpenCPN guys get a stable version on tablet devices. Based on the recent betas, I'm guessing 6 to 8 months or so!

We must have different perspectives. Displaying a 4' x 6' paper chart on a small tablet has been innovative enough to attract a few of my dollars. Very few, in the grand scheme of things. Added layers, all good. Having something to add layers onto, obviously useful.

I've had stable nav software on desktops/laptops apps on tablets for several years, and stable apps on laptop for a couple years now; don't object much about (reasonable) costs, compared to waiting around for free stuff which may or may not ever materialize. And which may send me back toward my development days just to keep the thing running.

Not interested in going back to work, when a useful solution only costs a dollar and a half.

-Chris
Old 13-09-2015, 18:17   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
Are you sure? A little googling shows that the Nauticast B was based on the same SRT board as many of its competitors at the time. Reset of the MMSI won't be achievable with the "end user" version of the software which came with it but in the absence of other information I'd expect it to be resettable with the "dealer" version of the software (or judicious application of proprietary sentences which could be tracked down with a little sleuthing).

As others have said, don't ditch your electronics unless you have a reason to. I have 25 year old raymarine ST50 seatalk instruments which still do what tey're supposed to and by a circuitous interfacing route can provide my laptop with data over IPv6. By comparison my 4 year old Raymarine AIS 500 which according to one dealer I spoke to has a reputation for reliability just failed for no apparent reason with a "fixed repair cost" (aka Raymarine don't bother repairing them, just replacing the whole board) as high as many new units.,
It took a while to find, but I finally had contact with the manufacturer. They can reprogram the MMSI # for me, via an internet connection. Pretty cool, no need to send it to Austria!

Duane
carlylelk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equipment, men, navigation