Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2015, 14:54   #16

Location: Wherever the boat lies, USA coasts, Keys, Bahamas & Islands
Boat: Island Spirit 40' Cat
Re: Opinion/Suggestion on Navigation Equipment

If you have a decent windows laptop, get yourself a Coastal Explorer program produced by Rose Point Navigation Systems (RPNS). Expensive, but well worth it. It's a great plotter and route planning. Runs on Win7/8/8.1/10.

You get free roster & vector (almost) worldwide charts with life time updates. I subscribe to east/west coast US and Northern Bahamas. Close to 7000 charts, all resolutions seamlessly quilted by the program. Chart updates come in at 100-200 weekly. Jeppesen's C-Maps also supported.

I use my laptop to chart/plan routes (close to 1500 so far) then transfer them to a 10" Win tablet I use for navigation set in front of my (still working) backup 2004 C80.

Embedded are tides/current/weather screens. Interactive Active Captain data included right on your chart and available offline. It gets AIS & GPS data through WiFi from my Vespermarine AIS transponder.

Discloser: I have no relation with the companies above, except as a delighted customer. Just trying to spread this as not many people know about it.
Old 11-08-2015, 15:44   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
so if a ten year old boat was in your sights--and clearly it was, why not ten year-old electronics?
What???

Just the advances in functionality should be enormous over the last 10 years.Way more powerful processors, more and faster memory, additional software functionality because of additional horsepower, better displays, better user interfaces.

Not to mention that the "bathtub curve" will eventually rear it's ugly head.

IMHO every single system on a boat should be considered for maintenance, and replaced when it makes sense.

"You bought a 10 year old boat so why would you want modern electronics" sounds pretty silly to me.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 16:40   #18

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to continue on with the Furuno gear.

Duane
carlylelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 22:52   #19

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlylelk View Post
I recently bought a 2005 sailboat. I believe it has the original navigation equipment from the builder. I'm loathe to replace it (the cost of course!) so I am wondering if I can get some advice. In a perfect world I'd like to get new up to date equipment that uses a graphical interface.

Is the equipment below top-of-the line and worth saving? I've been told that Furuno is "bulletproof". Or should I just bite the bullet and buy new? I find the 1833c very clunky and difficult to use and layout routes in. I had OpenCPN on my laptop and have done the route planning and navigating with it.

Furuno Ethernet Hub "HUB-101"
Furuno GPS Receiver
Furuno 1833C Radar/Plotter, 36 mile range, C-MapNT
Furuno GP-7000 Radar/Plotter display, C-MapNT
At the Helm Furuno 7" Radar/Plotter Repeater, C-MapNT (not working, still shows our position as our last port of call!)

The boat also has a "Nauticast B" AIS Transponder, which I understand is junk now since it cannot be reprogrammed for a new boat name/ownership.

I met a person who recommended I go with an I-Pad and Navionics for navigation and use the laptop and OpenCPN as a backup. The 1833c would still be needed for radar and AIS, and I would have to replace or repair the repeater at the helm (might be just connection issues).

And yes, I do carry paper charts and have as third backup a handheld battery operated Garmin GPS.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Unless you are sailing around the globe, all you need is a Navionics App on your cell phone. Leave the rest in peace- 10 years old equipment is considered brand new in several places of this world! And if one fails, it is not a real tragedy.

Remember few years ago, people were navigating the globe on a compass and a sextant, and honestly this is all you need to have the fun of navigation. Cheers!
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:39   #20

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat

I have Furuno NavPod+NavNet 3D (said installed in 2012 on my 2005 boat). Regarding "bulletproof" I may comment, that it may suddenly display "Eternal Error" and goes OFF. Than,it takes 5min to put it back ON. I think, that software must be refreshed constantly(it Windows based). Maybe this is the issue with the GP-7000? For AIS Furuno provide F-50 AIS sensor. So, if ACR Nauticast could not be fixed, this maybe a solution. But to change the boat name and MMSI Furuno require keyboard to be connected to USB port. Backspace RotoKey button brings you back to Main Menu...Tried 10 times, than called Furuno support line and, they advised a keyboard(backpannel must be unscrewed to access usb-port). No problem with radar. Last year delivering new Oceanis with B&G Zeus with a touch-screen was more handy, but with NavNet 3D "Aerial View" you may adjust the screen for a long convinient range . Make sure download (buy$$$ - Furuno dealers sells$300/region) proper maps and change Raster/Vector... On Bermuda (pre-installed map) I was finally navigating with I-Pad/Navionics and paper. On Azores Furuno sometimes displayed my boat 100m aground... Continental Portugal & Spain maps are OK. But paper port plans 1:20000 and pilot books (Imray etc) are essentual. And IPAD/Navionics (maps much less expensive!)
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:06   #21

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARGESOL View Post
I have Furuno NavPod+NavNet 3D (said installed in 2012 on my 2005 boat). Regarding "bulletproof" I may comment, that it may suddenly display "Eternal Error" and goes OFF. Than,it takes 5min to put it back ON. I think, that software must be refreshed constantly(it Windows based). Maybe this is the issue with the GP-7000? For AIS Furuno provide F-50 AIS sensor. So, if ACR Nauticast could not be fixed, this maybe a solution. But to change the boat name and MMSI Furuno require keyboard to be connected to USB port. Backspace RotoKey button brings you back to Main Menu...Tried 10 times, than called Furuno support line and, they advised a keyboard(backpannel must be unscrewed to access usb-port). No problem with radar. Last year delivering new Oceanis with B&G Zeus with a touch-screen was more handy, but with NavNet 3D "Aerial View" you may adjust the screen for a long convinient range . Make sure download (buy$$$ - Furuno dealers sells$300/region) proper maps and change Raster/Vector... On Bermuda (pre-installed map) I was finally navigating with I-Pad/Navionics and paper. On Azores Furuno sometimes displayed my boat 100m aground... Continental Portugal & Spain maps are OK. But paper port plans 1:20000 and pilot books (Imray etc) are essentual. And IPAD/Navionics (maps much less expensive!)

Just some additional comments, no critique intended:

There was a known error in NN3D, something about leaving the TIDES and/or CURRENTS overlay active all the time eating up memory IIRC... and one symptom I think was that occasional lock-up. Furuno guys told me the fix when it happened the first time -- turn off the TIDES or CURRENTS overlay when you don't need it -- no problems since then.

FWIW, I think I remember the keyboard requirement for changing some other things is clearly stated in the manual.

The NOAA vector and raster charts for NN3D are free, relatively easy download assuming a good broadband connection. "Branded" charts (e.g., C-Map, etc.) are extra $$ but equally easily bought, downloaded, and installed.

Not sure any of that applies to OPs equipment, though...

-Chris
Old 13-08-2015, 08:08   #22

Boat: Union cutter 33

We also have zuess 2 chartplotters and B&G 4g broadband radar luv it just a word of cation when installing be sure u have a knowledgable installer went threw 2 months of radar not working because improper install...these systems r not the same as ole school radar...use a certified radar tec...
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 15:58   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Just some additional comments, no critique intended:

There was a known error in NN3D, something about leaving the TIDES and/or CURRENTS overlay active all the time eating up memory IIRC... and one symptom I think was that occasional lock-up. Furuno guys told me the fix when it happened the first time -- turn off the TIDES or CURRENTS overlay when you don't need it -- no problems since then.

FWIW, I think I remember the keyboard requirement for changing some other things is clearly stated in the manual.

The NOAA vector and raster charts for NN3D are free, relatively easy download assuming a good broadband connection. "Branded" charts (e.g., C-Map, etc.) are extra $$ but equally easily bought, downloaded, and installed.

Not sure any of that applies to OPs equipment, though...

-Chris

That could be our trouble, I was going thru the manual and trying things before it locked up. I'm pretty sure I opened the tide/current menu during that period.

Duane
carlylelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 03:16   #24

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat

Ranger 42C -
"There was a known error in NN3D, something about leaving the TIDES and/or CURRENTS overlay active all the time eating up memory IIRC... and one symptom I think was that occasional lock-up. Furuno guys told me the fix when it happened the first time -- turn off the TIDES or CURRENTS overlay when you don't need it -- no problems since then."

Thanks for advise, Chris. I shall disconnect Tides and Currents on mine NN3D.
But, in regard of Free Nautical Charts - NOAA provide only US surrounding waters maps.They are already installed if equipment comes from Furunousa... Medeterranian (for example) Furuno split to for 4-5 regions and each cost about $300 (renewal 1/2).There is no problem with download.But,OLD equipment (mine 2012 - considered OLD!!) can't read largeSD cards. So, I went to Blue Water Books and Charts 3 times : 1-st to buy;2-nd to report the problem;3-d to exchange for 2Gb card...Than,after download,they sent you "Activation code" and you have to play with Roto-Key to punch the Code to activate...
IMHO , Navionics maps are better,cheaper,easier to load. But, since I have Furuno already, will stay with it(plus Navionics with IPAD). 3D is a great option for small screen,if 1/2 used for Radar,you still can adjust it for long run.
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 03:41   #25

Shiva is 30 yrs old and has an evolved set of nav instruments. All of the electronics (when if works) are a great assist for situational "awareness" - navigation.

The industry has evolved from stand alone with no connectivity to NMEA 0183 to the current n2k which is like an ethernet. The transponders are impoving.. color radar for example.. AIS and the software is more sophisticated in manipulating and presenting data... for YOUR use. You can also interface this data with APs (not always a good idea and sometimes a bad one).

The equipment is very spendy and there are issues when moving from standalone to NMEA 0183 to N2K.

My own experience with 30 years of using this gear that once we got GPS plotters it was a "sea change" but since then not much improvement... slightly better accuracy and reliability and more integration of data onto one "screen"... or multiple screens.

I find the older generation... using NMEA 0183 is fine. I recently added as a stand alone a B&G Zeus Touch 7 which is "portable" and mounts onto a rarely used under the dodger winch! Its location suits my way of sailing and gives me all the information I need at my fingertips. And the older NMEA cockpit displays and B&G repeaters still work fine reporting speed, and wind information. Radar is below decks on an aging Ray C80. When that goes... I will likely bite the bullet and put a new n2K MFD at the nav station (probably a B&G) and add N2K repeaters in the cockpit "dash". Along with that will be a radar and AIS which I can interface to the T7. This upgrade will be spendy and time consuming and only "necessary" when the existing equipment "dies"... as these companies don't support older products and essentially force us to upgrade at some point.

If it ain't broke.. don't fix it. All you'll get is a nice shiny new integrated system which will hardly present more information and cost you a pretty penny and a lot of work installing. Having sad that... I am a sucker for all these new things... so I am constantly being tempted.

(NB - Zeus as a stand alone is quite nice but no notable improvement of the C80 as a plotter aside from the self contained antenna which receives the new satellite suite. Of course it has capabilities to handle and interface scads of data including video.)

BTW my B&G wind instrument has been at the top of the mast for 30 years continuously and 3 hurricanes and works perfectly. Remarkable!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 06:36   #26

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARGESOL View Post
Medeterranian (for example) Furuno split to for 4-5 regions and each cost about $300 (renewal 1/2).There is no problem with download.But,OLD equipment (mine 2012 - considered OLD!!) can't read largeSD cards. So, I went to Blue Water Books and Charts 3 times : 1-st to buy;2-nd to report the problem;3-d to exchange for 2Gb card...Than,after download,they sent you "Activation code" and you have to play with Roto-Key to punch the Code to activate...
IMHO , Navionics maps are better,cheaper,easier to load. But, since I have Furuno already, will stay with it(plus Navionics with IPAD). 3D is a great option for small screen,if 1/2 used for Radar,you still can adjust it for long run.
Furuno doesn't make charts - they license their format to Mapmedia, which makes the charts for them, as well as the decisions on regions and prices.

The NN3D will use CMap and Navionics charts, so if you like Navionics, you can use them on your Furuno.

The current software for the NN3D allows the use of larger SD cards. Ours is a 2011 model and I use a 16GB card in it regularly.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 08:19   #27

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Furuno doesn't make charts - they license their format to Mapmedia, which makes the charts for them, as well as the decisions on regions and prices.

The NN3D will use CMap and Navionics charts, so if you like Navionics, you can use them on your Furuno.

The current software for the NN3D allows the use of larger SD cards. Ours is a 2011 model and I use a 16GB card in it regularly.

Mark
Did Raymarine ever offer a similar upgrade? We changed out for a new plotter in 2012 because the regional chips for the c70 added up to the cost of a new C95 and large area cards. Of course, we then had to upgrade radar and everything else

At the time, Garmins plotter pricing was about the same. But for the areas we wanted to sail, their charts ran $600 more. That cost, and the perceived superiority of Navionics charts, pushed us towards Raymarine.

Matt

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-08-2015, 16:38   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Did Raymarine ever offer a similar upgrade? We changed out for a new plotter in 2012 because the regional chips for the c70 added up to the cost of a new C95 and large area cards. Of course, we then had to upgrade radar and everything else

At the time, Garmins plotter pricing was about the same. But for the areas we wanted to sail, their charts ran $600 more. That cost, and the perceived superiority of Navionics charts, pushed us towards Raymarine.

Matt
Matt, did you mean that response to be to my quote? I was discussing Furuno, and your questions didn't seem to fit.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 14-08-2015, 16:59   #29

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Mark,

Your reference to Furunos updated software allowing a larger card made me think maybe other plotter's update offered the same benefit.

Matt
Old 15-08-2015, 05:14   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Mark,

Your reference to Furunos updated software allowing a larger card made me think maybe other plotter's update offered the same benefit.

Matt
Ah, I see. I think there is some confusion on "chips". The Furuno doesn't use chart chips like Raymarine and others. The SD cards in the Furuno are just to transfer charts, waypoints, routes, etc back and forth between a computer.

Nothing runs on them, and they aren't needed for operation once the charts have been transferred over.

Mark

Tags
equipment, men, navigation