Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 27-01-2016, 02:21   #286

Re: OpenPlotter project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidasailor View Post
You might also want to make a customizable refresh rate for each channel. Some channels like RPMs might need to be fast refresh, whereas things like tank sensors could probably suffice at a reading per minute or so.
Yes, good point. Take note.
Old 27-01-2016, 02:28   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinite View Post
S.
Most basic fuel senders simply present a variable resistance eg 0-190 Ohm. If you are taking OP down the MCP3008 ADC path then I will setup and monitor a simple voltage divider incorporating the fuel sender.
Regards
Yeahhh let's go hacking!

I think MCP3208 (12 bits) would be better due to the higher resolution if we want to cover many uses and cases. Anyway this shouldn't make a difference.

Old 27-01-2016, 04:57   #288

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
The only thing that OP could get from UDP, multiplex and send to TCP is NMEA 0183 and I assume you are talking about other kind of data, aren't you?
maybe try another aproach.. Could we set up the openplotter wifi to push UDP multicasts AT ONCE?? As I understand , the problem is that routers often buffer the packets..

.manitu
Old 27-01-2016, 10:43   #289

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitu View Post
maybe try another aproach.. Could we set up the openplotter wifi to push UDP multicasts AT ONCE?? As I understand , the problem is that routers often buffer the packets..
Do you mean the buffering that's done when a station associated with an access point is in power saving mode? Assuming that hostapd Does The Right Thing, you could make sure nothing on your network has power saving mode enabled. Won't do battery life much good though.
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 07:14   #290

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitu View Post
As I understand , the problem is that routers often buffer the packets..
Here's a bit of a discussion about why radar is problematic over wifi:
Water and Electrickery: RADAR over wifi: Not always a pretty picture
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 02:50   #291

Boat: Moody 44
Re: OpenPlotter Screensaver

Hi guys - Im being a bit lazy here but can anyone advise how to include a screen off/screensaver command into the startup?
I want my main console to blank/switch off after 10 minutes of activity but leave the cockpit repeater (on Remote Desktop/VNC) on

I thinks its a setting in kbd/config ?
Ive tried a couple of google suggestions but no luck so far.
BTW my vanilla Noobs boot of Raspbian seems to have this configured as standard
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 06:04   #292

Boat: Chantier duu Port Rézé les Nantes, Mopélia 2000
Question Re: OpenPlotter project

Hi,

Though I activated the remote desktop option in OP, I'am messing to use the function.

Actually I use remote desktop, from either a W7 or a Lubuntu station.
BUT, I have to first open a remote TTY on the RPi2 in order to launch "tigntvncserver" with a command line. Only after that I can connect with tight vncviewer (from W7, or vncviewer from Linux station).
In fact I am not using the OP option at all...

Where do I get wrong ?

Was it when I installed "tighvncserver" on OP, and should I remove it ?
Didier B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:55   #293

First of all: i LOVE this project, and i love this thread. It's helped me set up my own rpi and all.
Yesterday I started tinkering with the RTL SDR through the dvb-t dongle, but somehow, the 'take a look' screen comes up and disappears within a split second. Same goes for the fine tuning with GSM. When I try to calibrate, the screen does not output anything past the line 'Reading samples in async mode...'. Also, the options to enable AIS are greyed out since the last github update I did yesterday.
I haven't built an adequate antenna yet, can that be the issue?
Sorry to start with a question, but once I'm done and got this up and running, I can help with translations to Dutch and with a 'how to connect all the goodies together'-guide?
skyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:16   #294

Re: OpenPlotter Screensaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinite View Post
Hi guys - Im being a bit lazy here but can anyone advise how to include a screen off/screensaver command into the startup?
I want my main console to blank/switch off after 10 minutes of activity but leave the cockpit repeater (on Remote Desktop/VNC) on

I thinks its a setting in kbd/config ?
Ive tried a couple of google suggestions but no luck so far.
BTW my vanilla Noobs boot of Raspbian seems to have this configured as standard
I deactivate screensaver in openplotter by default so I am going to tell you the reverse way to activate:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/kbd/config
and edit (I think the unit is seconds):

BLANK_TIME=0
POWERDOWN_TIME=0

Code:
nano /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart
delete the last lines:

@xset s noblank
@xset s off
@xset -dpms

and that's all.

Are you sure you can keep your remote desktop alive and your "real" desktop blank? I think they are linked. Maybe RDP desktops can do this.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:29   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier B View Post
Hi,

Though I activated the remote desktop option in OP, I'am messing to use the function.

Actually I use remote desktop, from either a W7 or a Lubuntu station.
BUT, I have to first open a remote TTY on the RPi2 in order to launch "tigntvncserver" with a command line. Only after that I can connect with tight vncviewer (from W7, or vncviewer from Linux station).
In fact I am not using the OP option at all...

Where do I get wrong ?

Was it when I installed "tighvncserver" on OP, and should I remove it ?
Yes, you should

Just enable "remote desktop" option in "Startup" tab and connect from your VNC client to the IP:5900 of your openplotter.

I have implemented RDP desktops in the new release. Really faster, allows diferents rsolutions and can coexist with VNC without problems. You need a RDP client and just connect, nothing to do in openplotter.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:55   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhi View Post
First of all: i LOVE this project, and i love this thread. It's helped me set up my own rpi and all.
Yesterday I started tinkering with the RTL SDR through the dvb-t dongle, but somehow, the 'take a look' screen comes up and disappears within a split second. Same goes for the fine tuning with GSM. When I try to calibrate, the screen does not output anything past the line 'Reading samples in async mode...'. Also, the options to enable AIS are greyed out since the last github update I did yesterday.
I haven't built an adequate antenna yet, can that be the issue?
Sorry to start with a question, but once I'm done and got this up and running, I can help with translations to Dutch and with a 'how to connect all the goodies together'-guide?
Thanks for testing! Glad to help.

If options are greyed in the SDR AIS tab that means openplotter is not detecting the dongle. The system worked before updating? are you using v0.6.0beta3 updated with github repository? antenna is not the issue.

Dutch translation would be great!
Old 01-02-2016, 11:20   #297

Quote:
Thanks for testing! Glad to help.

If options are greyed in the SDR AIS tab that means openplotter is not detecting the dongle. The system worked before updating? are you using v0.6.0beta3 updated with github repository? antenna is not the issue.

Dutch translation would be great!
Ok, the dongle is visible again, I set the pi back to turbo-speed and now it detects the usb-hub with attached gps and dvb-t.
Issues from previous post remain: all the calibration windows close too quick to read them, and fine calibration says error..

Can you point me to the sections you want translated? Or can I work directly in a wiki somewhere?
Old 01-02-2016, 11:46   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhi View Post
Ok, the dongle is visible again, I set the pi back to turbo-speed and now it detects the usb-hub with attached gps and dvb-t.
Issues from previous post remain: all the calibration windows close too quick to read them, and fine calibration says error..

Can you point me to the sections you want translated? Or can I work directly in a wiki somewhere?
The system worked before updating? are you using v0.6.0beta3 updated with github repository?

Open a terminal and type:

Code:
python /home/pi/.config/openplotter/openplotter.py
this will open openplotter in debug mode, enable the SDR AIS reception and copy and paste here what the terminal says.

You can translate software or documentation if you want.

To translate software you need to translate this file:
https://github.com/sailoog/openplott...openplotter.po
There is a useful program to edit this kind of file: https://poedit.net

To translate documentation I should give you permission to edit this book:
https://www.gitbook.com/book/sailoog...tation/details
There is a really easy web editor. We have already translators for spanish and french. I am afraid this will be a lot of work because we want to write an accurate documentation but more people could help you with Dutch.

Let me know if you can do something and I will write you with more instructions. Thanks!!!
Old 01-02-2016, 13:54   #299

Hi sailoog, no, the system never worked, ais would not scan or display. Also, the gps doesn't show up, but it may be faulty hardware.
I'll post the debuglog tomorrow, Thanks so far!!

I'll get on poedit this week, no problem..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2016, 14:26   #300

Boat: Chantier duu Port Rézé les Nantes, Mopélia 2000

Quote:
Yes, you should

Just enable "remote desktop" option in "Startup" tab and connect from your VNC client to the IP:5900 of your openplotter.

I have implemented RDP desktops in the new release. Really faster, allows diferents rsolutions and can coexist with VNC without problems. You need a RDP client and just connect, nothing to do in openplotter.
OK, it is a breeze with VNC, and I start looking for 2 RDP clients (W7 + lubuntu)...
I just received my last order, and I'll start testing the RTL DSR as soon as the VHF antena will be completed (hopefully this week), which mean I will have solved the connection of the RG58 cable to an MCX male connector. ...
Where can I find some info on the way to connect properly the temperature sensors and the float switch to the GPIO connector ?

Thanks again for your support !
Didier B is offline   Reply With Quote