Good Day, I am an electronics
expert (Almost Engineer) looking into creating an open source ~4in marine
display. For me this comes from wanting to make a better display for my battery
pack to display voltages, current
rates, and such. But I thought this could be made into a bigger project
The idea being that I would create the hardware
and a set of templates so the end user can configure the display using a simple programming language like Arduino or even developing a dedicated GUI programmer. You can have ANY information from ANY system displayed on this. It would also be useful as a remote
control for CAN based switches. So long as you can get the right decode information.
I want to use this thread as a brain storming session.
What features would you like to see in a marine
instrument display? Just starting off the bat these are things I would include:
- 4in sunlight readable display
- 3 big buttons
- Ambient light Sensor
- Full weather IP66 protection
- 5-60V protected power input
- 2x protected analog inputs (0-12V maybe?)
- 2x protected outputs 1A
- 1x isolated CANBUS port with support for NMEA 2000 and as many other CAN systems I can find
- Optional GPS module to be used as a system backup or standalone
- RGB indicator LEDS?
- Battery Backup?
- Price target around 200USD.
This isnt going to replace most systems out there but for DIY
guys that are doing custom power systems or just want to add a fixed GPS monitor
into an old boat