Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2020, 09:29   #16

Boat: Rawson 30PH
Re: one fridge freezer or separate units

Engle has a good reputation, but I went for an off-brand from Costco that had the same installation thickness and same compressor... about 60% of the price but less warranty period.
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:35   #17

Boat: Nordic 44

I think the answer depends on how you use your boat and your energy budget. For a daysailor and occasional cruiser a single box would do. For long term cruising separate boxes make more sense. Keep in mind that the freezer will use a lot more power that the refer.

I have two boxes with two A/B cold machines. A 5 cu ft refer and 2-1/2 cu ft freezer. The freezer runs twice as much for half the space.

I agree, for cruising a freezer would be my first choice but then I would have to have warm drinks. Making ice takes too much energy.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:49   #18

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

My boat originally came with 2 separate compartments, 0ne compressor running a fridge plate and a freezer plate. System was R12 and died.

I bought a large drop in, 12 v fridge/freezer. Either compartment could be either a fridge or a freezer. Destroyed my original fridge/freezer box to install it. In the end, because of the latch mechanism I hated the system.

Rebuilt the original fridge/freezer box and installed 2 compressors with plates. Either box can be fridge or freezer and now I have redundancy as well. Very happy with this setup.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:56   #19

Boat: Rawson 30PH

Small batches of ice in ziplocks (no air), packed tightly last over a week for drinks.
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:06   #20

2 Engles. 2 independant units one as a freezer other for fridge.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:21   #21

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

We have a single refer/freezer combination.

We built the box, insulation, and liner and installed a box style evaporator. There is one compressor/condenser unit, which we also installed. The evaporator is on one side of the refer box. It has a insulation bottom and an insulation lid. This is the freezer section.

For us the power usage and space required dictated this solution. In the tropics our system uses from 40-100 amp hours per day depending on the air/water temperature. We know that in temperate climates the power usage would be less, but we sail in the tropics full time. We do not have a large solar array or genset and we usually sail (instead of motoring) so power is of primary importance. We have have 5" of good quality insulation around a smallish 3 cu ft refer. The freezer compartment can store meat enough for 15-20 days, plus ice for daily cocktails. The freezer is currently running at 20 deg F, and the refer area is about 36 deg F.

Many boats have much bigger refrigeration boxes and even separate refer and freezers. Others seem to have magic refers which use almost zero power; we were not so fortunate as to run across one of these. For us, the space required and the power cost made our choice the most practical.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:48   #22

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I inherited a system, which consisted of a 11 cu. ft. freezer and 4 cu. ft. freezer with holding plate's, and two compressor's, one engine driven [belt drive and one 12 volt/110 volt compressor, the system was 10 year's old and not working 100 %, as a refrigeration mechanic, i decided to remove a hundred pound's of equipment and install a 12 volt system with an evaporator, [BD50 compressor], changed the volume of the freezer and fridge, i.e., freezer became 4 cu. ft. and fridge 11 cu. ft., the system already had a spill over fan, so i used that, i keep the freezer at 10 deg. and fridge about 34 deg., use about 100 amp. hour's a day, going into the tropic's again, i am adding another compressor, for the fridge, as i want to hold the freezer colder and the fridge also colder, the system's are water cooled by the way, have a small diesel water cooled 12 volt generator for charging batts., and with Lithium batts coming up , will have quite short charging time. i like also the idea of having two separate system's incase one goes down.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:15   #23

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I opt for separate units. The freezer compartment on my small, dorm size refrigerator is to small for more than a frozen box or 2. I cannot see going without a refrigerator or at least an ice box, too many staples like fresh vegies, juice, leftovers, etc. Freezer is necessary if the fishing is good, the market has good deal on meat, occasional lazy packaged meals. I find the shelf life on frozen food is good if you plastic wrap before bagging.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:18   #24

Boat: LOA 71'
Send a message via Skype™ to C Paton-Gay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post
Having done a cross Atlantic- I agree with the others. If you only have one, it should be a freezer. You can always take things out to thaw as you need them.

I just redid my refrigeration and installed a custom separate fridge and freezer- holding plate system. Much more efficient than a single unit. Insulation is of primary importance as far as energy usage goes. I have, and prefer, a holding plate system. Especially for long distance cruising because the system does not have to run continuously and if there is a problem, it will probably hold the cold for almost 24 hours (with decent insulation), long enough for you to fix something if need be.

I agree. The keys are: holding plates, vertical access to both with proper basket separations and the very best insulation money can buy. One compressor and one backup in your parts locker.
C Paton-Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 13:04   #25

Boat: Bruce Roberts Mauritius 43'

Hi, we installed 2 units, they are identical and both can be either fridge or freezer. We looked at the redundancy aspect. Another suggestion have a look at Settlers foods.com.au they have dried veggies and mince to lower the load in your freezer
Just Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 14:45   #26

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagoo2 View Post
Hi all, seeking views and choices to advantages for installing one fridge freezer unit with separate compartments (75l portable type with top opening) or putting in two completely separate smaller units (2* 40L units)

Mainly seeking experienced views on possible power usage effect and efficiency. I can find the space for both options and cost wise is about the same.

I have a old oz fridge that is not working and damm regional Victoria (Warrnambool) not one fridge mechanic wants to look at it until al least 6 weeks and i cant buy my own gas to try to fix it. So new fridges it seem to be...
Have you tried the normal domestic or commercial air con guys? No need for a fridge repair company, anyone with a refrigeration license can buy the gas here. I find domestic appliance repair guys very busy and slow to respond, but there are a lot more qualified guys around in the air con market. I don't have any direct contacts in your area but Mr Google could help. Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 19:33   #27

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Hi all, seeking views and choices to advantages for installing one fridge freezer unit with separate compartments (75l portable type with top opening) or putting in two completely separate smaller units (2* 40L units)

Mainly seeking experienced views on possible power usage effect and efficiency. I can find the space for both options and cost wise is about the same.

I have a old oz fridge that is not working and damm regional Victoria (Warrnambool) not one fridge mechanic wants to look at it until al least 6 weeks and i cant buy my own gas to try to fix it. So new fridges it seem to be...
Have a look at the Dometic CD 030. A pair of them can be used either way so that gives you great flexibility.
Old 08-12-2020, 19:46   #28

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

we have a dedicated fridge only unit + a dedicated freezer only unit + a third that will function as either a fridge or a freezer depending where you set the thermostat.

all are built in. fridge is eye level, vertical. the others are chest type

works well for us...

cheers,

cheers,
Old 08-12-2020, 19:58   #29

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Thanks Chotu.

I expected as much. I assume running one compressor that does the job then cools both the fridge and freezer compartment at the same time with the compressed gas is more efficient but wasn't sure. The 75 liter it will be for me
tops much appreciation.
Keeping the compartments close to full will improve their efficiency also. For some reason empty air is a lot harder to cool. A couple of plastic milk cartons filled with water works well for filling up empty space.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 20:06   #30

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:

Hi, have you called ozefridge and spoken to Peter, I have found him to be very helpful and extremely knowledgeable, with a lot of experience. Just a thought, given that he designs and builds them.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer