Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2021, 15:12   #1

Boat: Beneteau 381
Older B&G Masthead Wind Sensor to Zeus 3

Purchased a new old sailboat in January. Old B&G "Network" instruments were installed - namely Network Wind & Quad. The wind instrument worked when attached to the Quad device. In the documentation, it says the B&G Network Wind is NMEA 0183.

I subsequently installed a new Zeus 3 chartplotter, new depth transducer, autopilot etc. I figured since the Wind device worked, no need to replace it yet. Getting it to talk to the chartplotter is the challenge.

It's my understanding that a single NMEA 0183 device can be attached to a Zeus 3 chartplotter via the Video port. The cable that was attached to the Network Wind device doesn't fit into that port. I was thinking I could wire a new cable and have tried that, but no dice.

When I look at the cable that runs down the mast, it goes into a wiring box as pictured below. Does anyone know what I need to get this device wired properly?

Thanks in advance,

Todd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3418.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	441.8 KB
ID:	243164  
toddward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 16:07   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Older B&G Masthead Wind Sensor to Zeus 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddward View Post
Purchased a new old sailboat in January. Old B&G "Network" instruments were installed - namely Network Wind & Quad. The wind instrument worked when attached to the Quad device. In the documentation, it says the B&G Network Wind is NMEA 0183.

I subsequently installed a new Zeus 3 chartplotter, new depth transducer, autopilot etc. I figured since the Wind device worked, no need to replace it yet. Getting it to talk to the chartplotter is the challenge.

It's my understanding that a single NMEA 0183 device can be attached to a Zeus 3 chartplotter via the Video port. The cable that was attached to the Network Wind device doesn't fit into that port. I was thinking I could wire a new cable and have tried that, but no dice.

When I look at the cable that runs down the mast, it goes into a wiring box as pictured below. Does anyone know what I need to get this device wired properly?

Thanks in advance,

Todd
Toddward, It appears that the wiring box is just a terminal strip to join two seven wire conductors to each other.

As far as I know NMEA is just a two conductor pair with text sentences sent along to a receiver. I guess that the Quad deals with the seven conductor data and translates it to NMEA for display on network devices.

Your unit, like some other B&G masthead units, may have cable and data streams which are proprietary and are not NMEA. Some of the wires send impulses for windspeed, others are for wind direction. To use this in your Zeus3, if it is possible, you will need wiring diagram which shows where in the Zues3 these conductors can be connected. Another possibility is to keep the quad to parse out the seven conductor data and feed NMEA from that to the Zues3. For this to work you will need to inform the Zues3 what data is coming in on the NMEA. You can connect the NMEA to computer with a serial to USB adaptor and use some application, such as Hyperterminal, to read the NMEA sentences and see what is on it. I see a problem in that the NMEA may be too slow to be useful for wind information.

Frankly, I am doubtful that it will work.

A&T Instruments in Lymington England specializes in legacy B&G issues, you can contact them at Email: info@AandTinstruments.com-Website: www.AandTinstruments.com. They should probably be able to sort out what you can do and what you cannot do.

You may need to be able to identify exactly what type of MHU (mast head unit) you have, a good photograph might be enough along with the model designation of the wind speed unit you have.

Good luck
Old 02-08-2021, 17:12   #3

I think you'll find that wires from the mast to the quad display via the junction box you have photographed are the analogue signals.

They are documented at the following link:

https://www.simrad-yachting.com/en-g...uideId=001-277

The NMEA 183 out would come from the back of your B&G Network Wind display.

The following link which is more about the Network Autopilot, may at least help you understand how the system is connected and may assist in identifying the the cable part numbers (if they're still available) or at least the colour of the cables carrying the NMEA 183 signals.

https://manuals.bandg.com/discontinu...PLC_Wiring.pdf

Once you've identified the NMEA 183 outputs, they'll need to be connected to the orange & green cables on the video cable connected to your Zeus display.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 05:48   #4

Boat: C&C38-3 WK

Do you have a picture of your masthead unit? It is probably a 213MHU with analog output for wind direction and pulse for wind speed. No easy and unexpensive way to convert that to any NMEA signal. I would say keep the Network Wind Display to convert the MHU signal to NMEA0183 to feed the Zeus3
PeterSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 17:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddward View Post

Thanks in advance,

Todd
Hello,

Very easy. You buy the B&G video cable. It has the NMEA 0183 wires in it for you to splice to.
Solarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 17:33   #6

I have the same system and am successfully using the 0183 wind speed and depth data in OpenCPN.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-new-post.html
This thread will be useful to you.

The cable from B&G is no longer available, out of production for years, but you can probably make one.

The wind output is VWR. Make sure the Zeus accepts that, as it is an outdated sentence. I had to translate it to MWV to make it useful, can be done in OpenCPN or other devices. The velocity is a direct translation, the angle is not so easy.

The overall pain in the butt factor is relatively high, but worth it for me to keep the old instruments which I love.
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 17:49   #7

WoW!

I bought that cable 2 years ago and they had 6 on the shelf. It’s very easy if you can find one. I don’t have the part number but maybe I can look it up in my invoice history. But I’d like to know if this was solved first.

Thank You ����
Old 26-06-2023, 17:54   #8

Where did you buy from? I got my info from "Wheelhouse Marketing" which is an odd name for the business, but they seem to be the B&G experts of the USA, for this vintage. Told me it was out of production for 10 years, and that cost to make a custom one would be $175. I passed.
Old 26-06-2023, 17:57   #9

WestMarine. I buy all my B&G stuff from them. New Halo 20+ last year. It all feeds my Zeus 3s 12 MFD. then I can see that on my iPhone or iPad from anywhere on the boat.
Old 26-06-2023, 18:02   #10

https://www.westmarine.com/simrad-ns...IaAqhqEALw_wcB

Shows here.
Old 26-06-2023, 18:07   #11

Ah, we are talking about different things. That is not a cable for B&G "Network" which is 1990s equipment. I am guessing what you posted is for something newer and won't help O.P.-
edit: that or you are describing what to do on the Zeus side?
Old 26-06-2023, 18:09   #12

Ready to ship in stock
Hmmmmm can’t find a way to put a photo here.
Old 26-06-2023, 18:18   #13

This cable works great for NMEA 0183. Any device that needs that older network. Even from the 1990’s if it’s NMEA 0183.
Old 26-06-2023, 18:50   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000

I think that’s what you’re trying to figure out and not knowing it.
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 18:53   #15

No

I have a 2000 network and a 0183 network. They connect with total different cables on different network ports. But both talk to the MFD. I have Simnet also. So 3 networks. 2000 is powered and works two way.

Tags
head, mast, wind