Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2020, 11:03   #1

Older Autopilot - can I use with plotted course

My autopilot system on my 1971 Grand Banks 36 (pulley steering top and bottom):

Raypilot 650 Autopilot (lower helm)
Raytheon ST600R Remote Autopilot Control Unit (upper helm)

Can I use a PC-based system to plot course and interface with this system? A seatalk to USB? Where do I start looking or what questions do i need to ask.

thanks
parobellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 11:10   #2

Boat: Admiral 31
Re: Older Autopilot - can I use with plotted course

ftp://62.38.192.171:222/FTP_Access/R...13/81013_4.pdf

And

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/31...ne-St600r.html

These might help
admiral 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 11:22   #3

Thanks that was great. So it looks like I could do a E22158 seatalk to seatalkng converter and then to an axiom MFD or something.
parobellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 01:33   #4

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Raymarine uses box for its official manual repository (on their web site under support go to "retired and legacy products" and navigate from there):
https://raymarine.app.box.com/s/nwf2...ile/3273037235

The ray pilot 650 like other early raymarine course computers looks like it will take an NMEA-0183 input and convert between sea talk and nmea-0183. See pages 69-73 of the manual. If your goal was using a PC navigation system and your PC has usb interface but no actual serial port, get a usb to serial converter. This from the OpenCPN site:https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...b_to_autopilot
Wire it to the NMEA-0183 input and output on the course computer and experiment.
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 09:38   #5

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

To start with you need a source of at least NMEA 0183 data such as Chartplotter, radio with GPS builtin, etc. and a PC with two serial connections. One IN from the Data Source and One Out for the Autopilot. A nine pin one is easiest but you can use a Serial to USB converters. If you have a nine pin connector make up a serial cord from your 0183 data source (3 wires needed usually) and connect to the PC. Make up a second one to connect to the Autopilot. The proper wires to use for Transmit and Receive can be found online.

When you set an active course or Route on the PC data will be sent to the Autopilot and when the "Track" or similar button is pressed it should follow the course on the PC.

I have a Raymarine ST70 and used it this way for many years with the ability to switch from a Garmin Chartplotter ot PC with Nav software at anytime.

Easiest to run your data wires to a small wiring buss and make the Serial connections to it. Here is an example of mine which lets me use any of several data sources and output to Autopilot.

OpenCPN can utilize the 0183 data directly. There are many ways to do this using Multiplexers (or not) or NMEA2000 with some converter or even usuing a NMEA 2000 network with Sealtalk connection to the backbone directly into autopilot.

But what I first listed as 0183 directly through 2 serial cables is the cheapest and needs the least amount of new hardware. You would not need all I have in the diagram such as Sonoserver, AIS stuff, multiplexer and only one data source not the three I show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nav Panel 2000 New2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	221525  
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 06:10   #6

Hi Squanderbucks, I like your post here very much as I have an ST4000 in a process to make up and controlling it with openCPN running either on Window10 or Android, is it possible to give more details design and share your circuitry like Berreizeta: 2017 as well I want to end up controlling directly the motor if ever the ST4000 fail and so on. It seems to me you are the one that give so far the electronics aspect of DIY design for auto pilot starting with components, of course I will end up to have more input with sonar, wind speed/direction and so on.
JonathanX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot