Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2020, 09:51   #1

Boat: TP52
Ockam to N2K

I'm trying to add a NMEA 2000 backbone to our existing Ockam system without much luck

We recently got three new Garmin GNX 120 displays to put at the mast. Those and the AIS transponder (Em-trak B100) will be the only things on the backbone for now

I purchased a Quark-elec A032 AIS to act as a gateway. Seemed like a simple hook up to the Ockam 041 GPS module. The Ockam system should send out NMEA data as if it were sending it to a chart plotter. That doesn't seem to be working though. I've tried every wire configuration at every baud rate. Yesterday I borrowed an Actisense NGW-1 to try that and it made no difference

Any Ockam experts here?

Ockam 041 GPS Module:
http://www.ockam.com/OldSite/docs/041GPSinterface.pdf

Quark-elec A032:
https://www.quark-elec.com/product/q...-gateway-wifi/
RocketScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 16:17   #2

Boat: TP52
Re: Ockam to N2K

I just want to update this for anyone else who runs across this in the future

The Quark-elec A032 will not work with Ockam. I doubt anything else they make will connect either. Even though they state that the device is "Compatible with all NMEA 0183 versions without configuring" it will not

The problem is the lack of a checksum. Data coming out of the Ockams doesn't always have a checksum. The data passed through from the GPS does but data from other sensors does not. Without a valid checksum the Quark-elec A032 invalidates it and will not pass the sentence through. There is no way to change the firmware to make it possible either

What I did find to work is an Actisense NGW-1-ISO connected to the RS-232 module. Two wires: Red/Black on the NGW to RD(4)/GND(1) on the RS-232 module. Match baud rate and set the RS-232 module to output NMEA data only

I'm still adjusting things to see if a higher baud rate will allow me to connect to the PC and output both NMEA and Ockam data from the RS-232 module. Will check back when I get more info...
RocketScott is offline   Reply With Quote