Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2022, 20:00   #1

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Ocean Signal PLB1 battery replacement instructions

My PLB1 was stamped to replace the battery in January 2022 (when I opened it I learned the battery itself was labeled with a March 2023 expiration).
I researched replacement options online and found various services from $160 up. I called my preferred (local) dealer who I purchased it from, and he sounded like he didn’t want to be bothered, and told me it’s about the same as the cost to replace, around $330. (So much for buying local. We’ll have to see who gets my business in the future).
I found replacement batteries online for $40, but didn’t find installation instructions. So here they are:
There are 3 screws under the top label. That will allow you to remove the cap assembly that holds the antenna. Under that are 2 larger screws one on each side that will separate the top section and expose the battery/circuit board.
See images for more information, it should be self explanatory, if not you should not attempt it on your own.
When reassembling, make sure everything mates properly before tightening screws, and there is nothing interfering with the seal between the caps and body. (There’s a clear rubber gasket in the recessed edges where the cap mates with the body).
After reassembling, test with a full GPS self test.
PS - for those who wish to pontificate about “how much is your life worth?” or letting the “pros” do this, or voiding the warranty, keep in mind the warranty is long expired before the battery date.
The final full self test is proof of whether you can trust your own work. This is only my opinion, you must make your own decisions and use your judgment.
If you do send yours in I recommend you send it to an Ocean Signal “authorized” facility and when it comes back you should still perform the full self test with GPS functionality.
Disclaimer - if you DIY you’re on your own, and I am not recommending this. Ocean Signal says this is not user-serviceable. So this post is for information only. Send it to Ocean Signal if you want to be most confident, but I recommend to test the device afterwards, no matter what you decide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	340097D8-06D3-477C-A301-54C58BF4572E.jpeg
Views:	331
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	268700   Click image for larger version

Name:	F2384D58-A572-445F-B3CB-1B44F73CD535.jpeg
Views:	284
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	268701  

Name:	F8E427E0-6C7F-4218-A627-96348C139BF8.jpeg
Views:	385
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	268702   Click image for larger version

Name:	40F30BD8-EC7F-4585-BF87-FE8562E97F01.jpeg
Views:	399
Size:	387.8 KB
ID:	268703  

SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 04:08   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Ocean Signal PLB1 battery replacement instructions

Thanks for the post .

This type of shared experience from someone who has already tackled a project is always helpful.

Can you please share the battery specifications you used?
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 05:49   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Thanks for the post .

This type of shared experience from someone who has already tackled a project is always helpful.

Can you please share the battery specifications you used?
I used https://beaconbatteryreplacement.com/
This is not an endorsement, because my experience is very limited. The battery was delivered quickly and appears similar to the Ocean Signal OEM battery, but was in white shrink wrap (original was black shrink wrapped). The replacement was labeled with a future expiration date. It also came with a new expiration date label to apply to the outside of the case.

Here’s a picture showing the battery. I didn’t post it above because the wire is resting on the circuit board in a way that might be misleading. Note that the battery is NOT plugged into the board in this picture. The socket is the white plastic square close to the right edge of the board in the picture.

P.S. - slight correction to my first post above: Removing the 3 top screws only releases the top cover. The two larger screws below allow removing the antenna assembly/cap. This should be self evident in the images.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F90BC7AE-3AE6-41A5-A1EA-C7A05D89AE32.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	384.7 KB
ID:	268722  
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2023, 02:09   #4

Thank you for providing this information.

As you mentioned in your post, there is also a new expiration date label included to affix to the exterior of the top case. Could you clarify if this label is the sticker visible in the No 1 picture you provided in your first post? Alternatively, does it serve to cover the date displayed on the top cover only?
Kyle723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2023, 03:17   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

What you're paying for to have this done professionally is being damned sure that the gasket seals during the next 3 years or whatever of service life, which includes replacing the gasket with a new one and having the professional knowledge of how to fit it. Contrary to what is written in the OP, the self-test does not test the gasket.

Besides that, pro servicing gives us an OEM battery, but I suppose that the non-OEM battery is OK if it passes the unit's self test. This text from the OP's source is encouraging:

"We start with OEM or better battery cells (Panasonic CR123 and SAFT D cells). They are welded together using welding strips that are thicker and stronger than OEM. We use the same Molex connectors as factory and solder connector wires to welded soldering tabs on the battery. Next using tape/glue we set wires and shield any potential areas that may rub and expose a wire core. Then we shrink wrap the pack, if applicable. Finally, we run a voltage test and a self test on an actual beacon we have in the shop."

Sounds pretty serious, doesn't it?

In previous years when I was sailing far offshore in harsh latitudes where there was a significant risk that my life might depend on one of these things, I preferred to simply replace the PLB with a new one when the battery expired.

Nowadays I'm very busy with my work and am not doing as much really adventurous sailing so I might take my chances with doing it myself, albeit very carefully. I might do a higher latitude west to east Atlantic crossing next year but we'll have an EPIRB. It's about time for a new batt in my ResQLink.

Thanks to the OP for posting this.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2023, 06:59   #6

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

my thoughts (disclaimer: I have never done this battery replacement) - paying a pro to do this and remaining focused on the gasket doesn't ensure 100% success either. Assuming that no special tool is needed AND assuming that the battery is not a soldered on type, then all that is required is some guts, a parts source, and paying close attention to what you are doing. Verify and verify again that the gasket appears to be sealed properly.
Old 03-09-2023, 01:15   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
my thoughts (disclaimer: I have never done this battery replacement) - paying a pro to do this and remaining focused on the gasket doesn't ensure 100% success either. Assuming that no special tool is needed AND assuming that the battery is not a soldered on type, then all that is required is some guts, a parts source, and paying close attention to what you are doing. Verify and verify again that the gasket appears to be sealed properly.
True, and how many people who advertise themselves as "pros" are actually not? But then again how many jobs have you botched because you're not actually a pro either? I would prefer not to answer that question for myself (and maybe I can't even count that high; just sayin').

All this is some kind of an argument for replacing the PLB with a new one. It's very unlikely you will ever need your PLB, but when you do need, how much would that suck if it leaks seawater and dies in a few minutes? Ugh.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2024, 11:23   #8

Just wanted to say - thanks for the excellent, detailed post. I just finished replacing the battery with the one recommended in the post thread - and everything went GREAT. Very easy job - I opted to pay an extra U$D 1.00 for the grease, and sealed the case up very nicely - everything fit perfectly, (albeit after a little playing around!).

I would never have tried it without your post and detailed instructions with photos - Kudos!!!

Also, similar to another member’s experience - the exterior case dated the battery expiration at March 2023, the battery i removed had an expiration date of Dec 2024.

I appreciate how Ocean Signal downgrades the expiration date, so there’s a decent chance it will still work a bit longer than implied by the date on the case.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2811.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	288682   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2812.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	288683  

Name:	IMG_2818.jpg