Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2021, 16:30   #1

Boat: Outremer 55L
Observations of an Iridium Go after first time use during a passage

We have used the Iridium satellite network for all of our offshore passage communications for weather - 6 passages using the Iridium 9505a phone that came with our boat and for our most recent passage an Iridium Go. We had installed a masthead external antenna that we've used successfully with both devices - definitely a more consistent 4-5 bar signal vs a variable 2-5 bar signal with the unit in the salon using the built-in antenna.

With the satellite phone we had a subscription with UUPlus for compressed email. It's one of a number of compression services such as Xgate and Mailasail. We also used prepaid vouchers for the airtime, with a new SIM for each passage. This system worked well, though a little clunky, to get gribs from SailDocs and passage plan updates from a router, as well as SMS and emails with suppliers, family and friends. We also did a few calls, but mostly just for the novelty factor. We counted on 10-15 minutes per day of data airtime - generally 3 connections per day to send email grib requests and position reports and to receive gribs and routing updates. We used both OpenCPN and PredictWind Offshore to view the gribs - PWO is certainly a prettier interface, but you have to upgrade to at least the Standard package for routing and PW weather with a satellite connection - of course you don't have to pay anything to PW to use PWO just as a viewer.

We decided to get an Iridium Go to take advantage of the cheaper airtime pricing and as a better fit with PW for weather and routing. We were able to sell the 9505a satellite phone for a decent price and it almost matched the cost of the Iridium Go. We also had to buy the external antenna adaptor. The alternative would have been to keep the 9505a and prepaid vouchers and to use OpenCPN routing, but quite frankly I was working full time and just couldn't be bothered with all the phaffing needed to get decent polars and weather routing to work (now that I'm stuck with 14 days of quarantine in a small hotel room one of my plans is to use this time to get it working, damn it).

For the first passage, unsure how much data we'd need, we bought the unlimited data plan.

It took a few hours to get the Iridium Go setup - the PW instructions and support are excellent, while the Iridium resources are pretty crap. To be integrated with PW means there are both Iridium settings and PW settings that have to be configured. We also set up both Iridium and PW tracking - this was the first time that our family/friends could follow our track in real time during a passage and we got lots of thanks for that (as well as a few razzing us for our 'wobbly' track as we gybed downwind and tacked upwind).

Once set up, it's dead easy to use and quite simple, though separate apps for calls/sms and email are a bit weird and you do have to remember to switch whatever device you're wanting to use with the Iridium Go to its WiFi network. (As an aside, is it possible to use the Iridium Go with a regular network router so that you don't have to swap WiFi networks to use it?). We made a bunch of voice calls and sent numerous texts as with the unlimited plan calls/sms are separate from data.

Unless you are super disciplined you will want the unlimited plan when you use the Iridium Go, as each data call via PW for weather and routing took 20-50 minutes and we did that twice a day after each forecast update. Of course, the difference in the data required is that you can choose multiple forecast models with PW, whereas with SailDocs in the South Pacific its pretty much just GFS. With the unlimited plan they don't track data minutes but I expect over the 8 day passage we used 500 minutes or so for data calls. The daily emails used up another 10 minutes of data calls, and we had 45 minutes of calling/sms just because it was there and available.

Overall, we're very happy with the Iridium Go and it worked well for us. Whether we really need 6 forecast models and weather routing done using high resolution models on the server, versus one forecast model and weather routing done on just that low resolution model is the big question.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 16:55   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Observations of an Iridium Go after first time use during a passage

I used the GO with Predict Wind Offshore on this month's delivery from Hawaii back to the mainland. We primarily sent sms and used the weather routing package using an external antenna. The signal was always good, but I was somewhat disappointed in the sms service--I used it on another boat 4 years ago with no problems, but it seemed that this time I had to break my messages down into many short bits if I wanted them to go through, and every other phone but mine got the replies. I always had to log off and log on if I wanted any SMS.

The routing package wasn't perfect, and it was hard for me to tell whether the routing was based on motoring or sailing unless I turned off the motoring option altogether. The user interface on my Samsung S21 was clunky; many times there was a delayed or no response to hitting the pause button.

Predict Wind offshore was still better than no routing package, and I think their idea of crunching the routing for each model in the cloud and sending you only the results is brilliant. I only downloaded the PWE and sometimes the PWG gribs, but having the optimum routes for all the models gave me a good idea of the reliability of forecasts and the sensitivity of my ETA to the model. Its not Expedition, but its a hell of a lot cheaper.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 17:05   #3

Speaking of routing and Garbage in/Garbage out, look at the GFS model vs the ECMWF model for Tropical Storm Dora, off the west coast of Mexico and currently at 55 knots. The National Hurricane Center shows this getting stronger and going up the Gulf of California at hurricane strength for the next 96 hours. So does the ECMWF model, but the GFS has it dissipating TOMORROW!
Old 27-08-2021, 17:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I used the GO with Predict Wind Offshore on this month's delivery from Hawaii back to the mainland. We primarily sent sms and used the weather routing package using an external antenna. The signal was always good, but I was somewhat disappointed in the sms service--I used it on another boat 4 years ago with no problems, but it seemed that this time I had to break my messages down into many short bits if I wanted them to go through, and every other phone but mine got the replies. I always had to log off and log on if I wanted any SMS.

The routing package wasn't perfect, and it was hard for me to tell whether the routing was based on motoring or sailing unless I turned off the motoring option altogether. The user interface on my Samsung S21 was clunky; many times there was a delayed or no response to hitting the pause button.

Predict Wind offshore was still better than no routing package, and I think their idea of crunching the routing for each model in the cloud and sending you only the results is brilliant. I only downloaded the PWE and sometimes the PWG gribs, but having the optimum routes for all the models gave me a good idea of the reliability of forecasts and the sensitivity of my ETA to the model. Its not Expedition, but its a hell of a lot cheaper.
I've got the offshore app on my iPhone and laptop and MUCH prefer using the laptop - the phone interface is just too clunky for my fingers. Regarding the motoring, I've turned it off as it sometimes showed routes with motoring straight into 15 knots of wind - nuts. I tried setting it to a really low number (like motor at 6 knots when boat speed below 2 knots) but it still had motoring straight upwind in good sailing breeze - I think it must mean speed to waypoint rather than speed through water - I will check that with PW. You can tell if the route boat is motoring by clicking on that route then playing the animation - an info box displays with the boat data including 'M' when it's motoring.

Regarding the SMS, we had some problems of them getting stuck on the Iridium server and taking hours to get to the mobile network, and a few just disappeared. But we sent at least 40 texts that went through and a few were long (the interface implies that they can be up to 1000 characters).

Connectivity between the Iridium Go using its WiFi and the various phones and computer was generally good, but we did power down and remove the battery twice from the Iridium Go to reset it after it froze in some state.
Old 27-08-2021, 18:20   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I have been using the Iridium GO with Predict Wind PRO on my deliveries for a few years. IMHO, it is the only way to go offshore.

It is handy to download the current GRIB before leaving as a reference tool and display it in Luck GRIB. Especially, “in he middle of no where” when a boat slows down 1/2 a knot, I can see that I found an eddy.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 19:29   #6

I do recall telling the crew that there was no way I was going to motor into 15 knots when I was 1000 miies from land. The info box was another casualty of the phone interface. The few times I got the box, it was for a different route.

My grandson discovered a menu on the GO box to reboot the wifi? interface, and it solved our few freezes without having to disconnect the battery.
Old 28-08-2021, 11:45   #7

Boat: St Francis 43

I'm glad to hear it went well.

I just bought an Iridium Go and subscribed to the Standard Predictwind plan, ready for an 8 day delivery trip on our new (to us) catamaran.

The boat has the aerial onboard, but not the adapter, so I've bought the adapter online but it hasn't arrived yet (we're in lockdown here in nz and some businesses aren't delivering).

As my flight out has been delayed its hopefully not an issue, but what are your thoughts on using it without the aerial?

It's been fun playing with the Predictwind functions. It's such a good system, I can't believe it's taken me this long to sign up. Their support guy Craig here in NZ has been fantastic too.
piebuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 11:53   #8

Boat: St Francis 43

Quote:
The routing package wasn't perfect, and it was hard for me to tell whether the routing was based on motoring or sailing unless I turned off the motoring option altogether.
I found in the tables for the routing, they have a little picture of a motorboat to the right of the period that it calculates you will be motoring.

I thought that was pretty clever, but if you were having trouble with your phone, it might not have shown?

I bought a small lenovo tablet to run it, and the bigger display is great.
piebuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 15:41   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Speaking of routing and Garbage in/Garbage out, look at the GFS model vs the ECMWF model for Tropical Storm Dora, off the west coast of Mexico and currently at 55 knots. The National Hurricane Center shows this getting stronger and going up the Gulf of California at hurricane strength for the next 96 hours. So does the ECMWF model, but the GFS has it dissipating TOMORROW!
And look at the ECMWF model today - it has it dissipating now. So they are either both wrong, or the GFS picked up the trend at least 24 hrs earlier than the euro model.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 16:44   #10
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Nice review and I can echo all the good complements for the Iridium Go. I've had two for two Atlantic crossings and they have worked great for a low cost.

The real reason to add my .02 here is that if anyone is looking to buy one, mine is for sale. Used two months, bought in March from Predictwind. $450 plus shipping. I think all you need to do is buy the $10 sim card from PW and subscribe to their service.
Old 28-08-2021, 18:36   #11

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Not Exactly Don,

We are sitting here in Banderas Bay and the eye of Nora just passed us about 50 miles outside of the bay.

I am watching predictions from Predict Wind. PWG (GFS modified by Predict Wind) and PWE (ECMWF modified by predict wind) are the models I use.

I am also watching the storm with realtime IR4 Satellite Imagery through a web site called SkyVector

The predictions vary quite a bit each time I refresh them but SkyVector has to be deemed the truth, it's a photograph.

At this moment (01:20 zulu) the actual position of Nora is more closely reflected by the GFS model. Two hours ago it was the PWE which was closer to reality.

The 48 hour predictions (in the image below) show just about the opposite of what you described. GFS based model has Nora reforming and moving up the Sea of Cortez while the ECMWF based model has it nowhere to be seen.

Personally I tend to trust the ECMWF a bit more, it seems to do a better job predicting local conditions. But sometimes the GFS one is better.

For the best, by far, weather modeling, the NOAA HRRR (High Resolution Rapid Refresh) is the best but it does not cover Banderas Bay, it is a USA only product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nora prediction 48hrs.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	435.7 KB
ID:	244404  
Old 28-08-2021, 21:19   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by piebuss View Post
I'm glad to hear it went well.

I just bought an Iridium Go and subscribed to the Standard Predictwind plan, ready for an 8 day delivery trip on our new (to us) catamaran.

The boat has the aerial onboard, but not the adapter, so I've bought the adapter online but it hasn't arrived yet (we're in lockdown here in nz and some businesses aren't delivering).

As my flight out has been delayed its hopefully not an issue, but what are your thoughts on using it without the aerial?

It's been fun playing with the Predictwind functions. It's such a good system, I can't believe it's taken me this long to sign up. Their support guy Craig here in NZ has been fantastic too.

You’ll be mostly just fine with the built-in antenna, though you may need to place the GO in a position where it can see the sky (windows are fine, as is canvas, foam core fibreglass so-so) that won’t be near a powerpoint for the relatively short power cord.

Have you also been playing with the GO, independently (for calls/sms/email) and together with PW (downloading weather and routing and uploading position in PWO) as well as trying out PW? If not, activate your SIM now and start doing that.

Where’s your delivery trip from/to? If heading back to NZ then I really recommend you consider using MetBob for routing. We used him on our recent passage from NZ to AUS and he differed several times quite significantly from the majority of the PW routes. Those last 300 miles towards Cape Reinga can be brutal if you don’t set up properly for potential SW or SE winds, or strong E or NE winds along the coast of Northland.
Old 28-08-2021, 22:30   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Not Exactly Don,

We are sitting here in Banderas Bay and the eye of Nora just passed us about 50 miles outside of the bay.

I am watching predictions from Predict Wind. PWG (GFS modified by Predict Wind) and PWE (ECMWF modified by predict wind) are the models I use.

I am also watching the storm with realtime IR4 Satellite Imagery through a web site called SkyVector

The predictions vary quite a bit each time I refresh them but SkyVector has to be deemed the truth, it's a photograph.

At this moment (01:20 zulu) the actual position of Nora is more closely reflected by the GFS model. Two hours ago it was the PWE which was closer to reality.

The 48 hour predictions (in the image below) show just about the opposite of what you described. GFS based model has Nora reforming and moving up the Sea of Cortez while the ECMWF based model has it nowhere to be seen.

Personally I tend to trust the ECMWF a bit more, it seems to do a better job predicting local conditions. But sometimes the GFS one is better.

For the best, by far, weather modeling, the NOAA HRRR (High Resolution Rapid Refresh) is the best but it does not cover Banderas Bay, it is a USA only product.

What a difference a day makes. From the NHC discussion page, the closest they will come to an apology; "The ever-so-slight rightward deviation from the forecast track that brought Nora inland, at least briefly, highlights the sensitivity of the system's future to its exact track. "

Which is why I don't put my boat in hurricane areas during hurricane season.
Old 28-08-2021, 22:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Nice review and I can echo all the good complements for the Iridium Go. I've had two for two Atlantic crossings and they have worked great for a low cost.

The real reason to add my .02 here is that if anyone is looking to buy one, mine is for sale. Used two months, bought in March from Predictwind. $450 plus shipping. I think all you need to do is buy the $10 sim card from PW and subscribe to their service.
If it comes with an external antenna, I'll take it. Its time I had my own as a backup.
Old 29-08-2021, 01:10   #15

Boat: Oyster Hp 49 Pilot House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post

How do you get it to France? I am interested
Huskybeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iridium, passage