Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 10:06   #1

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45
Non-Marine rated Electronics on board

OK. Non- Marine rated, i.e. radios, pc's, clocks, microwave, etc.
On board, out of the weather, out of chances of spray, good ventilation, staying out of 95+ weather, out of 50 - weather. I.E. good 60 - 90 degree weather.
My Nav station and Galley is well below in a very well ventilated and dry area.

What is the general concensus of the electronic / circuit board survivability? 50% more? Less?
I.E. If a system is suppsoed to last 10 years, shouls I get 5 years from it? Should I figure it is disposable anyway and just say to heck with it? Should a, Could a, Would a, you know...
I am talking about going with a Kenwood TS-2000 instead of a IC-802. 1/3 the price, when getting the same capabilities per say.
lookoutnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I've had good luck on the past two boats with car stereo decks. This latest one also is a DVD player too. I use the front and rear speaker outputs to drive the saloon and cockpit speakers. There is also an input for my MP3 player too. Car stereos are almost as tough as some of the better marine units. They claim the marine electronics have a coating on the PC boards to inhibit corrosion. I think many items don't fail because of that reason yet I'm sure some do.

One exception would be car VHF radios suck and you can get cheap marine VHF's if you want a really cheap radio.

I think you judge it like you do everything else you buy. If you use your boat a great deal then spending to get a little bit of quality or more compact and feature friendly is worth it just like you do when you buy stuff for your shore residence.

Buying standard AC appliances to be run off an inverter is something you have to pick and choose. Making AC power isn't the most efficient use of your batteries but for small items it can be great.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:55   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
(Repeat post) I had an HP Pavillion laptop which survived 5 years in a very wet boat and still worked fine. Generally, I think that the "marine" electronics are a rip off. Some products seal their PCB's in lacquer or some other element.

"Marine Electronics" is an oxymoron.
"Marine Electronics" means twice the price and half the warranty.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:45   #4

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
There is also spray-on conformal-coating that is easy to apply (careful with exposed contacts, pots, and non-sealed switches, of course); does wonders on printed circuit boards. I have used it to encapsulate constant-current drivers for homebrew high-brightness LED navlights, and they have survived salt spray.

When I have boards that are exposed to ambient air (not in gasketed enclosures), I give them a layer of that. One can also use VCI (Vapor-phase corrosion inhibitors) which are like adhesive-backed sponges, when protecting boards inside a well-sealed enclosure.

As to "marine electronics" in general, quality can range all over the map. I had a marine VHF a few years ago that was mounted in one of the early Microships. It took a bath in dumping surf, and even though the radio enclosure itself did surprisingly well, the cheap power wire and open nylon inline fuse-holder wicked salt water all the way back to the circuit board!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 10-01-2009, 11:45   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
My on board stereo is a car deck with multiple CD accessory. TV is an AC Flatscreen with a small Sony DVD player plugged into it. Microwave is a $39 special from a discount store. All have and are working well. I did go with marine cockpit speakers since they are exposed to the weather but for below decks I've not seen the need for the extra expense.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:00   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A Kenwood TS-2000 is 1/3 the price of an Icom 802 ?

Marine electronics - Discount marine electronics

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 18:50   #7

IC-802 w AT, Pactor III,$3300 vs Ts-2000 - $1400 Not exactly 1/3 but...
Old 10-01-2009, 18:52   #8

I can get the IC-802 for a couple hundred less than that price of $1823
Old 11-01-2009, 08:40   #9

The Icom M-802 consists of the transceiver unit and remote head. The transceiver unit is not weatherproof at all. It has venting slots in the cover for cooling, there is no gasketing of the cover and no coating on the circuit boards. The remote head is somewhat weatherproof due to the rubber membrane keypad and buttons but the channel knobs are not gasketed nor is the cover.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:57   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Icom 735 on board Insatiable for 14 years, still working fine. Icom 746 on Insatiable II for 7 years, still working fine. I-one was not a very dry boat, I-two is.

Don't worry, be happy with your ham rig.

Jim and Ann s/vInsatiable II lying Gladstone Qld Oz
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Icom 735 on board Insatiable for 14 years, still working fine. Icom 746 on Insatiable II for 7 years, still working fine. I-one was not a very dry boat, I-two is.

Don't worry, be happy with your ham rig.

Jim and Ann s/vInsatiable II lying Gladstone Qld Oz

Thanks, That is just what I was looking for. The Seattle boat show is at teh end of hte month. I figured to go and look at one up close and personal. You gave me good ammo for my quest.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:45   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
The Icom M-802 consists of the transceiver unit and remote head. The transceiver unit is not weatherproof at all. It has venting slots in the cover for cooling, there is no gasketing of the cover and no coating on the circuit boards. The remote head is somewhat weatherproof due to the rubber membrane keypad and buttons but the channel knobs are not gasketed nor is the cover.

Eric

Interesting. Only the front panel is 'weather resistant'. A lot of money for?...