Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 13:54   #61

Boat: Novara 16.4m catamaran
Re: NMEA via ethernet/wifi

Currently I implemented TCP connections. I can add UDP very easily if needed. Same for special data formats.

As far as charts go, 'commercial' isnt really the issue. All commercial charts are based on charts created by the various countries/navies for a region. Many countries (like USA and NZ here) have made the original charts available free of charge. So while I dont use 'commercial' charts here, I do use the same source charts that I need to pay for, if I were to use my Raymarine chartplotter.

But you are right, if the charts you need are locked up tight in proprietary formats, you cant easily access them.

However the chartplotter part of FreeBoard is not the main focus. FreeBoard is there to provide marine instruments and networked, shared access to nav data using low cost commodity components. Just like laptops vs chartplotters, you can actually afford to carry spares, can easily change and upgrade without throwing out your whole system, etc.

As such you can still use FreeBoard to deliver the data (NMEA) to your chartplotter.
motu42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 14:05   #62

Boat: Novara 16.4m catamaran

The autopilot functionality is currently limited to outputting a rudder offset, eg degrees to turn the rudder. Follows wind or compass, and seems to work, but will no doubt need tuning.

I need to buy a motor driver board (about $75), and program the interface (not hard). Then I can drive almost any suitable electric motor servo. I have a suitable servo, but the installation etc is a fair bit of work too.

Ive been laggardly on this because my old WP5000 still works, and we are shore-based for a few years. So I dont have that fear of helming for 5 days to drive me:-)
motu42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:43   #63

All very high teck for me. Question for you experts, hope you will kindly answer.
Will install new Simrad System NMEA 2000, AP28 and NSE12 mfd etc
Also bought Furuno Radar 1835 ( NMEA 0183 INPUTS ) Would like to have my new Simrad System be able ( if possible ) to give ( NMEA 2000 ) INPUTS TO THE RADAR. For GPS, DEPTH and AIS.
Read here that the AT10, Simrad is not a good buy. Can you give your simple answer what I need to buy to do this ( assuming it is somehow possible )
Thank you
Jeff Millar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nmea