Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2012, 06:43   #1

Boat: ODAY 28
Nmea ports on Raymarine SL 70

I am hooking up a Standard Horrizon VHF, I need the NMEA out + and NMEA common from my Raymarine chartploter to go to the VHF, I found a port on the back of the chartploter with NMEA ports but these do not work for the VHF. Yes I have my NMEA ports turned on on the chartploter. chartploter is 10+ years old vhf is new GX2100
thanks for any help, I have called Raymarine , but unable to help.
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 07:51   #2

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah
Re: Nmea ports on Raymarine SL 70

Boeing1,
The VHF owner's manual shd tell you what NMEA version and which sentence(s) the radio is looking for. Usually it is the CGA and/or RMC. Then check the your chartplotter and see if it is generating the required sentence.
If your chartplotter does not generate the required sentence then you may need a different NMEA source for the VHF. An NMEA multiplexor can solve the problem. Raymarine makes one as do several other companies, e.g., Brookhouse.
The problem could also be the NMEA version generated by your charplotter. I don't know what if any changes may have been implemented in the various versions, but many of the listening devices, such as DSC radios, are very picky about validating the sentences. If any field is missing or doesn't conform to the latest standard the sentence is rejected.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 11:13   #3

John
Thanks,
The VHF manual only refered to NMEA OUT and NMEA COMMON, for GPS data to the radio. I will check with Standard Horzion on Monday,
Old 18-02-2012, 11:55   #4

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Boeing1,
I checked the GX2100 manual and it states the NMEA version is 2.0 at 4800 Baud, and it is looking for the GLL, GGA, GNS and RMC sentences, with the RMC preferred.
Version 2.0 came out in the mid-90s, so your chart plotter shd conform.

Most likely culprits (other than incorrect wiring) are the chart plotter output turned off or the baud rate set to something other than 4800.

Also, some products view a few of the fields in the sentences as optional and leave them blank in their output stream. This is not uncommon with older products such as your chart plotter. Other products that listen for this sentence reject the sentence if any field is omitted. I know this is true from my experience with the ICOM M402 VHF (Upgraded Electronics).

John

Good luck,
John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 14:11   #5

John
I have checked the setup and everthing is turned on,
have hooked up the NMEA out from the chartploter to the VHF as they suggested all no help,
will talk to Raymarine Tech on Tues. see if they have any more ideas,
will keep you posted.
Old 05-05-2012, 19:08   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

I too am interested in how this turns out...I just purchased the SH GX2150 and I was wondering about the wiring myself. I too have the RL70C. Any advice/lessons learned on the wiring would be greatly appreciated.
opwan2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:05   #7

opwan2002
I have wired 2 boats That had Raymarine R70 with SH 2150 both worked when brown and blue wire from VHF to Nmea out of the chart plotter and the green wire from VHF to grd of chartplotter.
I used spade connectors to hookup the wires to the chartplotter Nmea connectors due to both boats did not have a Nema harness.
I talked to SH tech. Devan, and told how I got it to work, he could not explain why the brown wire had to be hooked up but said he would put it in his notes.
SH tech 714-827-7600 his ex. 1220
hope this helps, let me know how you make out or if you have any other questions.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:39   #8

Boat: Catalina 470
Talking Re: Nmea ports on Raymarine SL 70

thanks all for your help. This forum is awesome and an invaluable network for boaters. Thanks again. OP
opwan2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nmea, raymarine