1) I am trying to connect the Garmin to the SmartPilot.
2) The Garmin's ports are set to NMEA Standard, which is 4800 bps.
3) Port 1 on the Garmin uses Blue (output) and Brown (input) wires.
4) Port 2 on the Garmin uses Grey (output) and Violet (input) wires.
5) There is no ground wire on the Garmin. It uses the common power ground.
6) On the RayMarine the ports are clearly labeled with in and out and ground. I'm not confusing these.
7) I can connect the brown and violet wires to the output of the RayMarine and receive good NMEA sentences
8) I've tried connecting Blue to Brown, Grey to Violet, and cross connecting the two ports to see what the output of the Garmin is (with no other equipment
connected) and I see no output from the Garmin
9) The Garmin is programmed to send a bunch of sentences, including GPS
position/satellite data, which should output constantly. It excludes Garmin specific sentences.
I'm a computer science/hardware major and built my first computer from chips in 1973. I'm very hardware
literate. I just don't understand why I'm not seeing output from the Garmin.