Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 04:08   #1

Boat: Fiskars Finnsailer 38
Unhappy NMEA 2K Network Problems (Garmin GMI 10/Airmar DST800/GPS 19X (NMEA0183))

Hi everyone,

In the past couple of days I have been trying to install a simple NMEA 2K network consisting of a Garmin GMI 10 MFD, an Airmar 800DST Triducer, a Garmin GWS 10 Wind sensor and a Garmin GPS 19X HVS (NMEA0183 version). So far I have only dealt with the triducer, gps and the display, since weather has not allowed to install the wind sensor.

I have followed the installation instructions to a tee, but I have run into two problems that have me at my wits' end. The cabling is correct to my knowledge and a diagram of the installation is available in the location below but I cannot add the image to the post due to low post count.

h t t p://i.imgur.com/1Djt3On.png

Here are the problems:

1. No GPS data at all!! I have moved the antenna to a clear view of the sky but not even satellite view comes up on GMI10.
2. On a dry fit, all triducer data showed up correctly, but after installation of the triducer in the thru-hull and running the cable through the bilge, speed & temperature shows up from the triducer but depth shows up some times and sometimes it doesn't!!! Funny thing is that when depth showed up at some point it was only when the GPS19X was disconnected from GMI10, which does not make any sense, since they are not on the same data bus! (the gps is directly connected to GMI as a NMEA0183 device.

I tried different connections of the drop cables (power drop cable in the middle, left or right) to the backbone which consists only of 3 T-connectors, 3 drop cables, terminating resistors and no backbone cable.

The two things I haven't tried so far is to ground the power cable (the bare wire it contains was not shown to be needed to connect to the ship's ground in the instructions so I left it unconnected) and to use the limiting resistor for 1Hz operation of the GPS (instead of 10Hz, which I was under the impression that GMI10 supports)

If someone can help me sort out this mess, I would be grateful, since I spent an entire weekend passing cables through very tight spots only to have only half of the functionality...

Thank you in advance
atsakir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:45   #2

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: NMEA 2K Network Problems (Garmin GMI 10/Airmar DST800/GPS 19X (NMEA0183))

A quick look thru the GMI10 manual page 6:

Quote:
NOTE: When connecting a NMEA 0183 device with only one transmitting (TX) line or with only one receiving (RX) line, the NMEA 2000 bus and the NMEA 0183 device must be connected to a common ground.
Looking at your drawing, you want to connect the black with white/orange and/or white/red of the 19x together.

This might get GPS data on the GMI10.

Just guessing....
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 00:58   #3

Boat: Fiskars Finnsailer 38
Re: NMEA 2K Network Problems (Garmin GMI 10/Airmar DST800/GPS 19X (NMEA0183))

Thank you for your reply,

in my setup this is not the case. Both RX/TX lines are connected. The common ground thing might be the problem from some answers I got in another forum, but it refers to the shielding bare wire that covers the cables inside the power drop cable for the NMEA2000 network.

I will try this next and cross my fingers that it solves the problems
atsakir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin, nmea