Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2021, 06:10   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: NMEA 2000 Engine Monitoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I see there are a bunch of these on eBay and Amazon.
Anyone ever use one? How customizable are they? They seem to be pre-programmed for specific inputs (two fuel tanks, two water tanks, two waste tanks, etc.) But I have four fuel tanks. Not sure how I'd set that up. I could toggle between the two pair of tanks I'm currently using and the pair I'm not.

I have one. There isn’t an obvious way to change the PGNs so the data reports are fixed , clearly if you display device offers some flexibility then you can “ relabel “ sources.

If you have four tanks you’d need two devices and source selection to ensure the display device can tell one from the other. Source selection used to be an issue early on in NMEA 2000. But later equipment largely has this solved.
Old 28-09-2021, 07:03   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

I'm curious about the CX5003. Some of the spec sheets say the input parameters are customizable, but no indication of how. I see they have a DIP switch for setting the tach scaling, and I also found mention of a jumper to set the tank level transmitter type (between 2 different resistance ranges), but also saw a picture of one with the cover off and it looked entirely potted except the DIP swtich. I contacted one of the ebay sellers asking for copy of the manual, but if anyone here has a manual for one I'd love to get a look at it.
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 07:10   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamster View Post
I'm curious about the CX5003. Some of the spec sheets say the input parameters are customizable, but no indication of how. I see they have a DIP switch for setting the tach scaling, and I also found mention of a jumper to set the tank level transmitter type (between 2 different resistance ranges), but also saw a picture of one with the cover off and it looked entirely potted except the DIP swtich. I contacted one of the ebay sellers asking for copy of the manual, but if anyone here has a manual for one I'd love to get a look at it.

I have one. There is no way to remap PGNs there are hardcoded according to the nmea spec

You can select US or European resistance etc buts that’s about it.

So fuel levels will be reported with PGNs for fuel , mapping would have to be done elsewhere if you wanted to repurpose the inputs.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:28   #19

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post
No problem with 1 Actisense supporting 2 yanmar 3ym30 on my cat
Is there more you can share with this?

Did you program it yourself?
Can you see coolant temperature?
How accurate is the RPM?
Oil pressure?

Chris
SV Cosmos
Old 02-02-2022, 08:52   #20

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Installed myself, you wouldn't find a trustworthy technician in the Philippines, I do not even trust myself, how come somebody else?

Installation is easy, just cut in behind the original yanmar panel.

If you can wait, I was not on board since 2019, but I'll be there in March. I could make some pictures

There are no additional sensors, it only displays what's in the original display, but you might ad some more. The manual will be more helpful than I

RPM, as said, data comes from original yanmar sensor, I never checked it's accuracy.
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:18   #21

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post
Installed myself, you wouldn't find a trustworthy technician in the Philippines, I do not even trust myself, how come somebody else?

Installation is easy, just cut in behind the original yanmar panel.

If you can wait, I was not on board since 2019, but I'll be there in March. I could make some pictures

There are no additional sensors, it only displays what's in the original display, but you might ad some more. The manual will be more helpful than I

RPM, as said, data comes from original yanmar sensor, I never checked it's accuracy.
I can wait. Thanks. Just to be clear our Yanmar panels only have tachometer and idiot lights. I’m trying to figure out if you’re getting coolant temperature and oil pressure readings or just an alarm for each.
Old 02-02-2022, 09:32   #22

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

I know, got the same yanmars. One of the reason for spending much money is the weak alarm, many times overheard, the old 3GM had the speaker in front, the 3YM has a tiny buzzer at the back. Actisense brings it to your ships alarm.

Temperature and oil pressure and much more can be shown, but you must install (automotive=cheap) sensors.
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:53   #23

Boat: Hylas 54

I ran the Noland RS11 on my old Yanmar. It worked, though the RPM reading was sometimes wonky (it read double or half the true rpm at times). Not sure if that issue was the fault of the RS11. Never bothered debugging it, just replaced the whole engine with a new CANbus enabled Yanny.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 20:03   #24

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
Here is a cheap option:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...erter&_sacat=0

Here's a more expensive one. 10 channels customizable and with alarms, so expand to cover tanks as well as exhaust temp, raw water temp maybe.

https://digitalmarinegauges.com/seag...basic-edition/

They also do lots of useful sensors.
I have the second, but not installed yet.

Thanks for the idea of piggy-backing off the gauges before I posi-tapped !
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2023, 14:45   #25

Boat: 2010 Leopard 46

Has anyone tried using an RPi (Raspberry Pi) system for this? I'm thinking about starting such a project and I see the RPi 4 has more than 20 GPIO pins. Can these be used to sense signals going to the engine gauges and meters?
Looking4Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2023, 15:09   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Neptune View Post
Has anyone tried using an RPi (Raspberry Pi) system for this? I'm thinking about starting such a project and I see the RPi 4 has more than 20 GPIO pins. Can these be used to sense signals going to the engine gauges and meters?
Temperature is easy with a Pi running openplotter/signalk, the ds18b20 thermometers cost little. Longest part is fitting the thermometers & running in some wires. Openplotter has menus to set up a database & viewing software to graph the data. Very useful & low cost, no need for a monitor, all webpage based.
barcoMeCasa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2023, 15:10   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Neptune View Post
This si the perfect place for a SignalK server. You can get data in easily, and there are multiple plug ins to take the SignalK data and move it to NMEA2000.

I'm not enough of a hardware nerd to tell you how to set that up, but i make this exact thing happen one my Victron Cerbo running the "large" version of their Venus OS. Data in the Venus OS gets sucked into the SignalK server, then push out as valid N2K data with whatever valid PGN you want to give it.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2023, 13:51   #28

Boat: Hunter 336

I have used the CX5003 (https://amzn.to/450a4gX) which works fine, and I have also made my own:
https://youtu.be/Zay2ALtgxzc

and installed it:
https://youtu.be/1wRZIEQAE_0

I did not need NMEA2000 but I made a NMEA2000 Battery monitor using similar components, just needs the extra $10 CAN board. It would be easy to make the one in my videos NMEA2000
SV-Apres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2023, 05:34   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV-Apres View Post
I have used the CX5003 (https://amzn.to/450a4gX) which works fine, and I have also made my own:
https://youtu.be/Zay2ALtgxzc

and installed it:
https://youtu.be/1wRZIEQAE_0

I did not need NMEA2000 but I made a NMEA2000 Battery monitor using similar components, just needs the extra $10 CAN board. It would be easy to make the one in my videos NMEA2000

I am just about to buy the CX5003 for a single engine, is everyone still content with it or is there some issues that make other options better.

I will use metric options.

I'm planning on taking the inputs off the back of the analog instrument panel for oil pressure, water temp, maybe revs, rudder angle from the raymarine auto pilot I hope.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2023, 05:53   #30

Boat: Hunter 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
I am just about to buy the CX5003 for a single engine, is everyone still content with it or is there some issues that make other options better.

I will use metric options.

I'm planning on taking the inputs off the back of the analog instrument panel for oil pressure, water temp, maybe revs, rudder angle from the raymarine auto pilot I hope.
Works great on my friends boat for 2 years now. No issues.

as for taking inputs off the instrument panel, I am not sure that will work without affecting the original signals. Better to add extra sensors to the engine. most Marine engines have multiple ports so there are multiple options for the sensors
SV-Apres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, monitor, nmea, nmea 2000