Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2015, 16:54   #16

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Re: NMEA 183 to Zeus2 Connectivity

I have version 1.21 which allows a Raymarine S3G (or equivalent) to be connected.

I installed about 1/2 of the backbone today in less than 2 hours. It took longer to pull up the cabin sole than connect NMEA2000 cables. Very easy.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 14:07   #17

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Ok, so is someone saying that the Zeus2 can be used to control a Raymarine S1 autopilot? I haven't gone down that path to see if it is feasible on my own installation. I have ST60 wind and speed/depth going to a ST to STng converter, that is hooked up to N2K backbone on my network. Zeus2 is hooked up to the same backbone. I still have the SmartPilot controller for the AP in the system, but Zeus is seeing rudder angle from it. I really didn't think that Zeus could control the AP while the controller was still in the system. And not sure if the controller can be removed. Hmmm.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 20:41   #18

you can't remove the controller. that still controls auto / standby. compass vs nav steering etc. the zeus just feeds it way point info via the seatalkng to seatalk converter. you could also do it using nmea 183. you'd need a new simrad pilot for control from the plotter. even then I'd still always have a controller for one button standby action. instead of on screen menus
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:36   #19

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Hmmm, will have to see how that works. So right now my controller is on the same converter as the two other Seatalk instruments. And the converter is an extensions of the N2K networked (connected to the rest of the network with a backbone). Zeus2 is on the same N2K network. So you are saying that the AP controller can get the waypoint data over the N2K network when hooked up this way? Would that imply that the waypoint data is converted from STng to ST format? I did not know the converter was a 2-way instrument.

With my old Garmin, the AP controller got info via NMEA0183 wired direct. I'd rather not mess with NMEA0183 connecting to the Zeus2. I have it setup to be removed after use (prevent theft), and am trying to minimize number of wires that need to be connected (and bigger issue is connectors failing eventually).

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
you can't remove the controller. that still controls auto / standby. compass vs nav steering etc. the zeus just feeds it way point info via the seatalkng to seatalk converter. you could also do it using nmea 183. you'd need a new simrad pilot for control from the plotter. even then I'd still always have a controller for one button standby action. instead of on screen menus
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nmea