Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2020, 19:13   #1

Boat: Baltic 43
NKE vs B&G Zeus

Does anybody have the NKE cruising pkg? I have a quote from upffront.com as follows

NKE Cruising package (SO332)

This is the basic cruising package with autopilot
It includes speed, depth, wind & gyropilot
We have included as an option the “True Wind & SOG mode”

I have had a Zeus touch pkg with 4g radar etc and was happy but intrigued by NKE so I thought for the new project that needs electronics I would revisit this.
Looking for anyone with the pkg onboard or use.
Thanks
Silver_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 06:01   #2

Re: NKE vs B&G Zeus

We have NKE system on board.
Username25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 06:26   #3

Ok what do you have and how do you like it so far? In comparison to any other brands you may have had and do you use a chart plotter or a lap top with opencpn or?
Old 28-03-2020, 08:25   #4

NKE is mainly used by offshore racers (mostly french) with fancy and high-end pieces, e.g. HR/Regatta Processors and 3D Sensors. On a cruising side it is reliable stuff, but from my perspective is showing signs of stagnation with some items 10 or even 15 years old. They still use NMEA 0183 format. At the time of purchase in 2013 NKE was about 30% cheaper vs B&G and it was the main factor to choose NKE. Probably it is the same "cruising pack" but with some additional items, e.g. autopilot remote control (must-buy), baro sensor, WiFi output. Now I would upgrade fluxgate compass (Resolution: 1°) with 9-axis (Resolution: 0.01°). Maybe electromagnetic speed sensor with ultrasonic and standard wind sensor with HR, but just maybe. We do not have chartploter, just laptop running Adrena and TimeZero Navigator (connected via Digital Yacht NMEA 0183 to USB adaptor). Plus tablets/phones with Navionics and Sailgrib WR connected via XB-8000 AIS WiFi.
Old 31-03-2020, 10:53   #5

Thx I had chartplotter and now I’m thinking of going to laptop or monitor combo. I have a electronics guy that is going to give me some options that lean towards the set up that you have, not a homogeneous brand set up but a more customizable system. Thx again for the input
Old 01-04-2020, 09:18   #6

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56

I was faced with the same decision to replace an old B&G 2000 system. Went with NKE as my criteria were reliability, reliability, reliability. NKE design has ben stable for many years and I figured they have worked out many bugs. Read and heard about too many stories online about problems with B&G & NMEA 2000 integration. One of NKEs "pages" mimics the B&G Sailsteer, if that's something you are after. One thing NKE does not have is navigation displays, which suits me just fine as I like to keep systems separate and redundant. I use a PC for navigation that is fed instrument data and AIS via the Wifi box.

Been using the NKE system about a year. Had the wind instrument bearing go out but other than that it's been solid. Did the installation myself (except the through-hulls) and was straightforward. I'd recommend labelling the connections on the boxes and tinning any sensor wire ends.

I doubt you'd need true wind for your Baltic as I think it's more for surfing offwind where apparent wind really swings around. Using SOG instead of STW would be useful for when your speed sensor craps out.
Mal Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 13:04   #7

Just in case... our NKE windmill was blown away in 50-55 knots of wind, so I would suggest to keep a spare one board.