Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2019, 17:41   #1

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
NKE Ultrasonic log

Anyone use one of these? I can at least buy one in this country, and it allegedly fits into my existing Airmar socket so no need to haul out to install it. Haven't managed to find any useful reference to them on the net, which might mean they work perfectly or might mean no-one has them because they don't.

But they're not exactly cheap so it would be nice to know if they're reliable.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 06:07   #2

Re: NKE Ultrasonic log

I looked into it, I believe it is an Airmar transducer. Every time I got close to buying on, I would get talked out of it. Some very accomplished sailors would tell me not to bother, as I have the high speed GPS, and they thought that was better. I still have a paddlewheel, but I never use. So, the consensus was if you have the NKE high speed GPS, not worth the expense. YMMV.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 06:13   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
I looked into it, I believe it is an Airmar transducer. Every time I got close to buying on, I would get talked out of it. Some very accomplished sailors would tell me not to bother, as I have the high speed GPS, and they thought that was better. I still have a paddlewheel, but I never use. So, the consensus was if you have the NKE high speed GPS, not worth the expense. YMMV.

But GPS only tells you SOG. It can't know anything about STW, and SOG is no substitute, especially in tidal waters.

I'm using the old (and expensive) Airmar CS-4500 ultrasonic log. I like it better than paddlewheel because it doesn't foul and is consistent. I'm guessing the newer ones are better (and cheaper), and I'll be interested to see what kind of luck people have with this one.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 22:58   #4

I've had messages saying the old nke electromagnetic sensors weren't much good, but no news about the new one. It fits the airmar socket, unlike the airmar UST800 (!). But at the same price as 600m of 8mm uhmwpe rope I'm a bit cautious.
Old 30-09-2019, 15:27   #5

So, I have had no luck finding anyone who says the NKE device is really good. Including the dealer. It does look like it fits my paddlewheel socket, which is good. But at NZ$2000 and no confirmation as to whether it can be calibrated, it's a bit on the rich side for me.

Having said that, the Airmar UST800 is NZ$3000 (and definitely needs a haulout to install), so the NKE is the "cheap" option.

Or.... I stick with paddlewheels...

Definitely a market opportunity out there for someone to do it properly and at a believable price. I note that NASA have been advertising an Electromagnetic version for a while, really cheap. However, it's still not available a year later (not the only company to have done this). And it's electromagnetic. I understand that the NKE electromagnetic one is useless, and the ultrasonic one is the only option.