Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2016, 08:04   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 35, Corroboree
NEXUS Instruments

This is a long shot, but I'll try anyway. We have a NEXUS Instrument system on our boat, new about 1997, that has a WIND readout unit for apparent/true windspeed and direction, and a SEA unit for ship speed and depth. On haulout this last week, our electrician determined that the processor board is not operating properly as we don't get full voltages across the Wind and Boat Speed circuits. We do seem to have reliable depth readout, sporadic wind readout, and no boat speed readout. We just cleaned the boat's bottom so we know the transducers are clean and operating.

The NEXUS system was bought out by Garmin some years ago and specific NEXUS parts, I believe, are no longer available. The wiring follows NMEA 0183 protocol.

So my questions to the Forum are:

1. Does anyone have an old NEXUS system lying around somewhere that I could buy for parts? I am open to any and all offers.

2. Failing that, do you think it would be possible to have an electronics technician repair the processor board, which is a 4" x 4" circuit board?

I am not in a position to buy a whole new electronics system as I would have to haul the boat again and take the mast down to install it.

I welcome your thoughts and advice.

Eric
ewsponberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 23:06   #2

Boat: Albin Vega 27"
Re: NEXUS Instruments

Have you tried Nexusmarine.se maybe the support can help.

/Jonte
Jonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 01:41   #3

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I have the NX2. The multi control went out. Very expensive. About $1000. I bought Digital Yachts Aqua Wear and downloaded inavx for iPhone and iPad. Now I have chart plotter, instruments, anchor alarm, tide tables, and weather maps streamed to both.
DocBrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 13:28   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonte View Post
Have you tried Nexusmarine.se maybe the support can help.

/Jonte
I have not, actually, but now I will. Thanks!

Eric
Old 13-11-2016, 13:29   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrauer View Post
I have the NX2. The multi control went out. Very expensive. About $1000. I bought Digital Yachts Aqua Wear and downloaded inavx for iPhone and iPad. Now I have chart plotter, instruments, anchor alarm, tide tables, and weather maps streamed to both.
Thanks for the (expensive!) news. I too have iNavX on an iPad2, so I can get speed over ground with that.

Eric
Old 13-11-2016, 14:12   #6

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

I had the same issue and after long conversations with Garmin, replaced the whole system with her Garmin NX2. They gave ma a discount on the system, bit was still $1100.00.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 14:36   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

I have the system on a clients boat and had an integration issue the Comnav pilot. I deal with them in Richmond BC often, this exact question has come up. They are perpared to help if they can. Call or email Stanley
ComNav
groundtackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 08:33   #8

Boat: Tartan 4100
Re: NEXUS Instruments and auto pilots

There have been several posts re Nexus instruments and auto pilots and product availability and repairs, etc. Dick Booth has been a long time Nexus (and now Garmin) dealer and service person. He is still in business and has many spares much NX2 and NXR new equipment. He has Nexus auto pilot displays so you don't have to buy all new ap electronics for just a display failure. He can also get your Nexus server hooked up to new GNX displays as well. He is at d_booth@verizon.net.
tartan4100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 16:18   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

I'll second the recommendation to talk with Dick Booth before you do anything else. If you don't get a hold of him try a few times - he's sometimes hard to get a hold of. But he's pretty much the master of all things Nexus and has a lot of refurb and used gear on site. Depending on what model equipment you have, the new server may actually work with your old instruments, although the transducers will be hit or miss. Nexus in general was (and it really is "was" at this point) very good about backward compatibility. Dick will be able to tell you what matches what.

FYI, we have our original Nexus server-based system we put on the boat in 2001 when it was new and other than the anemometer failing a few months ago it's all still working. The reality is that Garmin has basically dead-ended it, and NMEA2k rules the world, so we'll probably be replacing ours with a new system next spring. Given the treatment by Garmin they won't even be on my list.
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 10:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewsponberg View Post
This is a long shot,

1. Does anyone have an old NEXUS system lying around somewhere that I could buy for parts? I am open to any and all offers.

Eric
Might you still be on the lookout for a Nexus? I bought a boat last year with a fully functional NEXUS system, 3 displays, server, etc. and I'll be uninstalling it this spring.

The boat was a bit of a time capsule as it also has a functional LORAN system (functional meaning it powers up, but of course there's no signal for it to use).

Anyway, you or anyone else let me know if this is of interest.
LakeSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 10:00   #11

Boat: Tartan 4100

I was a Neuxs dealer from 2002 (and a Nexus user since 1994) and am now a Garmin dealer. I still have lots of Nexus parts and displays, etc. I can perhaps help you fix your system as well as move towards a Nexus/Garmin system, or a full Garmin system. You can contact me by email a d_booth@verizon.net.
tartan4100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 15:23   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
Might you still be on the lookout for a Nexus? I bought a boat last year with a fully functional NEXUS system, 3 displays, server, etc. and I'll be uninstalling it this spring.

The boat was a bit of a time capsule as it also has a functional LORAN system (functional meaning it powers up, but of course there's no signal for it to use).

Thanks, LakeSurfer,
This thread is over 4 years old, and I wrote it while getting our boat Corroboree ready for our circumnavigation. We reached New Zealand in 2018 with only the depth sounder working most of that way. We hauled out there for about 4 months to do an extensive refit. We replaced the old Nexus system with a Raymarine system. So far been happy with it and am glad not to have to fish around for ancient parts.

Had a similar situation with the LPG galley stove. When I left Florida, the manufacturer in New Zealand extended an open invitation to have the stove rebuilt during our visit there. When we got there about 2 years later, they'd gone out of business. By the time we arrived in Australia, it was starting to show flame where there is not supposed to be flame, so we replaced it with a Force 10 model that was the only one that would fit exactly in the same space.

We are still in Australia, having been stranded here an extra year by the COVID-19 pandemic. We hope to get vaccinated next month (March), have the boat hauled for new bottom paint in April, and depart in May to cross the Indian Ocean this year. Hope to be in South Africa by November.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 28-02-2021, 07:03   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewsponberg View Post
Thanks, LakeSurfer,
This thread is over 4 years old...We replaced the old Nexus system with a Raymarine system. So far been happy with it and am glad not to have to fish around for ancient parts.

Eric
Exactly! Also upgrade to a Raymarine, but I fished around looking for folks who might want the old Nexus - hate to see it get junked as its fully functional.

I think the LORAN is only good for the electronics recycler. LOL
LakeSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:14   #14

Boat: Goman Express 30

Quote:
...but I fished around looking for folks who might want the old Nexus

Still have it? Bought a Goman Express 30 with no functional instruments, and I'm on a tight budget.

Tim
Quintont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 16:30   #15

Quote:

I'll buy that nexus anemometer!! Hope you still have it..
Best
Michael
michaelkehir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum