Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2011, 13:26   #31

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Re: New SiiTech AIS Reporting System For Yachts

Aussiesuede..

Although I can see your point of view as regards piracy at sea,you can not stop progress.

I can mention many reasons why a yachtsman would find networked AIS useful:
1. The ability to detect targets far outside the scope of the on board AIS system.
2. Looking ahead for traffic when approaching a port.
3. Doing a search for a vessel.
4. As a check against own AIS receiver when no signals are received.
5. As a surveilance aid to charter fleet operators.
6. As a guide for family and friends.
7. As a guide for SAR operations.

If you wish to remain anonymous,simply switch off your transponder.
This is also a choice all ship captains have when traficking in dubious waters.

The AIS monitoring service to yachtsmen is presently very limited,depending upon the availabiliy of a land based wi-fi internet service as well as a powerful network card on board. Soon,we are hoping to be able to connect the GPS most yachts already have installed on board for transmission of position reports to Siitech's FREE network.

The next step will be to send affordable position reports via satellite and this is another possibility I am still looking into.

Tore
Old 06-05-2011, 12:51   #32

Next week I shall be commencing testing the new and unique SPOT GPS satellite messaging and tracking system from Globalstar which will merge their data with existing systems monitoring AIS targets.

The basic SPOT GPS Messenger is available now priced around US$ 170.- in the US
The advanced SPOT HUG has additional anchor/theft alarm at US$ 500.- in the US

See details here: (be patient)
We are also intending to make the SPOT data available in OpenCPN for the tracking of yachts taking part in regattas as well as for in and offshore cruising.

SPOT overview press release:
Quote:
REVOLUTIONARY SPOT HUG

Spot LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Globalstar Inc (GSAT) and a leader in personal satellite messaging and emergency notification technologies, today announced that SPOT HUG, a revolutionary new and cost-effective satellite-based security device for boats, is now available at retail locations across the United States.

SPOT HUG monitors the boat's position and detects any Unauthorized Movement (or anchor watch) automatically alerting a 24/7 Asset Monitoring Center with its GPS coordinates. The Asset Monitoring center will notify the appropriate parties of the event including the registered boat owner and local authorities where available. SPOT HUG also comes equipped with Sensor Alert capabilities and established SPOT messaging features for sending messages via satellite to others including an international rescue coordination center.

SPOT HUG consists of a Tracker with built-in GPS and satellite transmitter, a Wireless Keypad and key FOB. The Tracker establishes a virtual security perimeter around the vessel when stationary. If the boat moves outside of this perimeter without the presence of the key FOB, an automatic alert is transmitted every 5 minutes via satellite with an updated GPS location to the Asset Monitoring Center. In addition, SPOT messaging features can be activated using the Keypad or the FOB when in range of the Tracker.

Rugged and water-proof to IPX7 standard, SPOT HUG can be line powered to either a 12 or 24 volt external battery or operate solely using AA lithium batteries. Equipped with four external sensor contacts, SPOT HUG also provides Sensor Alert monitoring and notification for events such as high bilge water, low battery, door ajar and smoke detection. A message is sent to the registered boat owner and/or additional listed contacts who receive a text message and/or email with the detailed information. Additionally, SPOT HUG sends a Daily Status Alert message to the boat owner with sensor status updates and the boat's GPS coordinates SPOT HUG utilizes SPOT simplex technology so users can transmit location-based messages over the Globalstar satellite network. This allows boat owners to message for help in a critical emergency or let others know where they are and that they are okay. Automated Track Progress message mode lets friends and family view a virtual "breadcrumb" trail of their location on the water.

Pricing and Availability: SPOT HUG is available at retail locations for $399.99 plus an additional annual subscription price for service starting at $149.99 per year which includes unlimited asset monitoring,tracking and personal satellite messaging. For more information on SPOT products and location-based satellite services like SPOT Assist Maritime with BoatUS Towing, visit www.findmeSPOT.com Coverage: SPOT satellite coverage works around the world, including all of the continental United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe and Australia Northern and Central Africa, portions of South America and North-Eastern Asia and hundreds or thousands of miles offshore of these areas.

About Spot LLC Spot LLC, a subsidiary of Globalstar, Inc. (Nasdaq:GSAT), provides emergency notification technology that allows users to communicate from remote locations around the globe. The SPOT product family uses both the GPS satellite network to determine a customer's location and the Globalstar network to transmit messages and GPS coordinates to others including an international rescue coordination center. Thanks to this affordable, cutting-edge personal safety device, the company offers people peace of mind by allowing customers to notify friends and family of their location and status, and to send for emergency assistance in time of need, completely independent of cellular phone or wireless coverage. For more information on how Spot LLC is helping others stay connected - from disaster preparedness to outdoor adventure - visit www.findmeSPOT.com. Note that all SPOT products described in this press release are the products of Spot LLC, which is not affiliated in any manner with Spot Image of Toulouse, France or Spot Image Corporation of Chantilly, Virginia.
More info next week.

Tore
Old 07-05-2011, 13:15   #33

As you may have noticed the FREE link to AIS network "A" is now working:
Quote:
World AIS
And also the FREE link to AIS network "B":
We will next week start the testing phase of the new and revolutionary SPOT Messenger and SPOT HUG uploading the data to the above FREE AIS networks by satellite. This will be a great advantage for both yacht regattas as well as for the safety of the cruising yachtsman.

Tore
Old 04-08-2011, 10:36   #34

Just started uploading my live AIS data from the Annapolis area to the SiiTech server. The SiiTech site is much more versatile than Marinetraffic.com I like the filtering controls and being able to view charts as Google maps, virtual earth maps, ENC charts, raster charts and combinations thereof. I do notice that there are no class B targets in New York harbor and I know they are there as I am tracking one on Marinetraffic. I guess whoever is providing data there is filtering out class B? Also, while at work yesterday, I was unable to view ENC and raster charts but no problem here at home. Any idea's?

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:39   #35

Hi Eric..

Welcome aboard! Yes I notice the class B targets are missing in New York harbor.
I have made inquiries with Siitech and will revert when they respond.

Regards
Tore
Old 05-08-2011, 05:41   #36

Eric.. Here's the reply from Siitech...

Dear Tore,

About Class B.

That is a very interesting question. Thank your reader that he raised it.

At fist I would like to say that definitely SiiTech Web VTS displays AIS Class B transponder. Please see the attached screen capture.

AIS Class A has a triangle shape, but AIS Class B has a rectangle shape with an arrowhead.

Why we cannot see any Class B in New York harbor?

It could be several reasons:

1. The first one and the most common is that probably SiiTech doesn’t get any Class B ais messages from New York ais feeds. Marinetraffic displays only one Class B, but I believe there should be many of Class Bs, but not just the only one. We don’t know who provides AIS feeds for Marinetraffic, so we cannot compare SiiTech and Marinetraffic in this case. If we were sure that SiiTech and Marinetraffic get the same ais feeds then we could compare both sites. However there, in New York harbor, should be more than one Class B for sure.

2. Probably that is because of the AIS technology limitation: Class A can and has to reserve available slots to transmit ais messages, but Class B doesn’t have such rights. Class B cannot reserve any slots, so Class B waits for any free slot that could be left from Class As and only then transmits ais message. The priority to transmit was given Class A, because in such harbors as New York we have many vessels and even Class A theoretically could not find any slots to transmit ais messages. Again theoretically if we have a lot of Class As within one harbor then Class B could wait forever for any free slot to transmit its message.

3. It could be some issues with ais receiver which sends data to SiiTech or Marinetraffic. We don’t know if that is two channels or one channel ais receiver. There could be potential problems too.

4. Of course there could be some problems with web viewers too.

About ENC and Raster charts: Probably the user doesn’t have any firewall at home, but at work does. Please check if the firewall is open for HTTP 54 port, but not only for 80 one. We send ENC and Raster charts through HTTP 54.

Best regards,

Alex
SiiTech
Vancouver
Old 05-08-2011, 06:51   #37

Thanks for the info. I understand the problem of a class B unit getting an open time slot but I currently see 4 class B targets in Liberty harbor directly across the river from the financial district of lower Manhatten. I had been tracking one of our boats from the Naval Academy and had no problem tracking them coming into the area, going up the Hudson a little ways and then back down to a pier in Liberty harbor. They are off the air at this moment but I see 4 others there and they are being regularly updated on Marinetraffic. Our boats go through there every summer and Iv'e had no problem tracking the one that currently has AIS this year. I do not see any other class B targets in the area besides the 4 in Liberty harbor. They do not show up on the SiiTech site. There are currently 3 class A targets showing up in that harbor on both Marinetraffic and SiiTech. Interesting.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais