Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2020, 13:03   #31
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 6
Re: New Icom M803 SSB

A quick question BJ, what model headset adapter are you using to connect the Heil 7 to your M802?


Thanks & 73's,
Gary
AA1GJ
Gary Jensen-DSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 15:22   #32
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 6
Re: New Icom M803 SSB

The absence of a head phone jack on the M803 control head might have something to do with the control head being IPX7 Water Immersion Compliant. I suspect maintaining protection against meaningful water ingress while immersed in water to a depth of 1 meter for 30 minutes is difficult to achieve with a 3.5mm or larger hole drilled into the front to accommodate a non IPX 7 or 8 headphone plug.
Gary Jensen-DSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 23:59   #33
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Currently in Hawaii
Boat: Cooper 416
Posts: 550
Re: New Icom M803 SSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Jensen-DSR View Post
A quick question BJ, what model headset adapter are you using to connect the Heil 7 to your M802?


Thanks & 73's,
Gary
AA1GJ
Hi Gary, the folks at Heil pointed me to Associated Radio. I contacted them and in about 2 week they sent a custom built dongle (adapter).

(BTW...I agree with you they removed the headphone jack to meet the IPX7 standards. But, IMHO it was not a well thought out "feature." I have never seen a SSB control unit mounted in a cockpit. If the control unit is underwater...the last thing I'll be doing is trying to talk on a radio! )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5182.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	209702   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5220.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	209703  

__________________
-----------------------------------------------
S/V Discovery 15797 (https://www.QuestsOfDiscovery.com)
WA7WJR & XV9WJR
Discovery 15797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:40   #34
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 16
Re: New Icom M803 SSB

Jim Corenman has issued a beta release of SailMail (3.5.054) to add support the M803, in which he cautions to use the AF/Mod DB-9 port in lieu of the DIN-8 ACC port for audio and PTT connections to your modem due to the ACC port being overly sensitive:

Recent changes for Airmail beta ver 3.5.054:
============================================
Icom M803: Support for the new Icom M803 marine radio is added. "Icom M803" is added as a radio choice, in Options as well as setup-wizard. The connections are the same as the M802 and previous Icom marine radios, however the audio-input for the "ACC" connector is way too sensitive, at least for the early radios which we have been able to test. As a result we are strongly recommending using the 9-pin AF/MOD connector which has a high-level audio input level. This will avoid problems with RF feedback and audio distortion. A wiring diagram is on the Sailmail website, search for "Icom M803" if it is not on the home page.

The upshot is you will need a DB9 -> DIN-8 cable specific to the M803. Note that the AF/MOD port does not provide power to the modem, so a separate 13.8v. feed to the modem is needed in addition to the new cable.

Gary Jensen at Dockside Radio is currently providing the required DB9 -> DIN-8 cable, but have not seen it advertised elsewhere...

Cheers,

Ted Lavino
KG6LZP
tlavino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:47   #35
Registered User
 
flyingnut40's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Cobourg, Ontario,Canada
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 281
Re: New Icom M803 SSB

following
__________________
Live your life with passion, even if it kills you, because something is going to kill you anyways. Webb Chilies
flyingnut40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:04   #36
Registered User
 
AA3JY's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kimberton,Pa.
Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Posts: 580
Re: New Icom M803 SSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavino View Post
Jim Corenman has issued a beta release of SailMail (3.5.054) to add support the M803, in which he cautions to use the AF/Mod DB-9 port in lieu of the DIN-8 ACC port for audio and PTT connections to your modem due to the ACC port being overly sensitive:

Recent changes for Airmail beta ver 3.5.054:
============================================
Icom M803: Support for the new Icom M803 marine radio is added. "Icom M803" is added as a radio choice, in Options as well as setup-wizard. The connections are the same as the M802 and previous Icom marine radios, however the audio-input for the "ACC" connector is way too sensitive, at least for the early radios which we have been able to test. As a result we are strongly recommending using the 9-pin AF/MOD connector which has a high-level audio input level. This will avoid problems with RF feedback and audio distortion. A wiring diagram is on the Sailmail website, search for "Icom M803" if it is not on the home page.

The upshot is you will need a DB9 -> DIN-8 cable specific to the M803. Note that the AF/MOD port does not provide power to the modem, so a separate 13.8v. feed to the modem is needed in addition to the new cable.

Gary Jensen at Dockside Radio is currently providing the required DB9 -> DIN-8 cable, but have not seen it advertised elsewhere...

Cheers,

Ted Lavino
KG6LZP
Surprised that 803 doesn’t have have one of its DIN connections to provide power to a data modem especially a SCS modem directly from the control unit without modifications..
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 10:24   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 2
Re: New Icom M803 SSB

I am located in Miami FL and looking for a tutor, technician, teacher to help me with an ICOM 803 with Pactor P4 Dragon DR-7800. It is just black magic to me. Will hire on a day rate, need to know both the hardware and software. Contact me Patrick 305-588-6880.
pfiorentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 11:07   #38
Registered User
 
AA3JY's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kimberton,Pa.
Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Posts: 580
Re: New Icom M803 SSB

You an Amateur radio operator or planning on only using a Sailmail account?? Radio and SCS modem been setup?
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 11:08   #39
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 16
Re: New Icom M803 SSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Surprised that 803 doesnít have have one of its DIN connections to provide power to a data modem especially a SCS modem directly from the control unit without modifications..
It still has the DIN-8 ACC port, that provides 13.6v DC power on pin 7, but since the usable audio is now provided via the AF/MOD DB-9 connector one will need a splitter to power the modem via the radio, connecting the modem audio cable to both audio from the AF/MOD port and and power from the ACC port, both of which was previously handled by the ACC port.

Heard rumors that Dockside Radio may be stepping up to the plate here...

Cheers,

TL
tlavino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 06:23   #40
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1
Wink Re: New Icom M803 SSB

Just FYI...

Defender Marine is having their annual warehouse sale. They have a package deal with the Icom M803, AT 104 and interconnect cable for ~$2517. Sale ends 29-March-2020.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=6651853
SV Abundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:28   #41
Registered User
 
AA3JY's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kimberton,Pa.
Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Posts: 580
Re: New Icom M803 SSB

Some one mentioned there is an “Amateur Mode”..went thru the ops manual maybe I’m missing something but I can’t find it...possibly where LSB/USB selections is what is being referred too..?
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:44   #42
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 6
Re: New Icom M803 SSB

Amateur mode in the m803 means the amateur radio bands are available for both transmit and receive. You can add the amateur frequencies as one of your channels. In fact you can rx continuously between 500khz and 30Mhz and Tx a good portion as well. No special mods or programming required.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:06   #43
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Currently in Hawaii
Boat: Cooper 416
Posts: 550
Re: New Icom M803 SSB

The setup sequence should be the same as the 802 outlined here...

Icom M-802 Programming Instructions
__________________
-----------------------------------------------
S/V Discovery 15797 (https://www.QuestsOfDiscovery.com)
WA7WJR & XV9WJR
Discovery 15797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:10   #44
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 6
Re: New Icom M803 SSB

The Icom 802 programming instructions do not apply to the Icom 803. Please note there is not a "Mode" button on the Icom 803 remote head. "Mode" is now a soft-key button, not a physical button.

My 803 came from the factory already in the "open/amateur" mode. No changes or programming needed.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:37   #45
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Currently in Hawaii
Boat: Cooper 416
Posts: 550
Re: New Icom M803 SSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
The Icom 802 programming instructions do not apply to the Icom 803. Please note there is not a "Mode" button on the Icom 803 remote head. "Mode" is now a soft-key button, not a physical button.

My 803 came from the factory already in the "open/amateur" mode. No changes or programming needed.
Thank you for the correction.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------
S/V Discovery 15797 (https://www.QuestsOfDiscovery.com)
WA7WJR & XV9WJR
Discovery 15797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
icom, ssb

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLD] Icom IC-M710 SSB Marine HF 150 Watt Radio with Icom AT-130 Auto Tuner jefndeb General Classifieds (no boats) 1 24-05-2020 08:20
[SOLD] Icom IC-M700Pro SSB Marine HF 150 Watt Radio with Icom AT-130 Auto Tuner jefndeb General Classifieds (no boats) 0 10-12-2017 14:07
For Sale: Icom 700 pro ssb and icom at 130 fishpipe General Classifieds (no boats) 5 19-01-2017 07:43
For Sale: ICOM HAM/SSB radio, GAM antenna and ICOM AH-4 tuner. All for $899.00 Jentine Classifieds Archive 0 04-07-2013 10:00
For Sale: ICOM M802 SSB, ICOM AT-140 Tuner, Pactor PTCIIpro with III Paul L Classifieds Archive 1 25-07-2012 18:34

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:00.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.