Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2023, 10:05   #1

New Chartplotter options for Sailboat

Hi. I have a boat that came from the factory with Raymarine electronics (autopilot, i70 and A75 MFD). The MFD is getting slower and slower with age (slow, unresponsive after sailing for half a day). I would like the option to have linkage to the Navionics app and the option upgrade we would love would be to add some sonar imaging to help us with anchoring.

We have an Airmar DST now, and I understand that a sonar would disrupt the depth reading from the DST. Are there any options for Sailboats (fibreglass/polyester hull)?

How is the interoperability of the Autopilot with another brand (say Garmin?). I was considering the Axiom+9 but now see that Raymarine has released a few more updated MFDs.

Thank you in advance.
barold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2023, 05:45   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: New Chartplotter options for Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by barold View Post
... and the option upgrade we would love would be to add some sonar imaging to help us with anchoring.

We have an Airmar DST now, and I understand that a sonar would disrupt the depth reading from the DST. Are there any options for Sailboats (fibreglass/polyester hull)?

How is the interoperability of the Autopilot with another brand (say Garmin?). I was considering the Axiom+9 but now see that Raymarine has released a few more updated MFDs.

It's not uncommon to have two transducers, using different frequencies to eliminate interference.

Our DST uses 235 Hz, and the "fishfinder" (bottom discrimination) transducer (B744V) uses 50/200 Hz.

Some newer MFDs include a "fishfinder" capabillity... so you just add a compatible transducer for that function.

(I'm not sure if both can be connected to the same MFD for dual read-outs. Just happens our DST goes to a Garmin MFD, and the B744V leads to a Furuno MFD... redundancy on purpose... so I never looked at that.)

AP interoperability seems to be easy enough, as long as the AP will take direction via NMEA0183, or maybe more commonly these days, NMEA2000 with newer units.

The AP control head will likely have a "Go Straight" button. Generally, going beyond that, you command the AP from the MFD. Waypoints, routes, etc. on the MFD; you select "Go" or whatever, AP responds.

Our AP is an older Raymarine SmartPilot, currently commanded by a new Furuno TZT3 MFD via NMEA0183 sentences.

-Chris

Tags
boat, chartplotter, sail, sailboat