Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2019, 17:47   #16

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Re: New B&G DST800 not showing depth

The boat still hasn't been launched. I did take the time to install the other plotter in the system (B&G Vulcan 5). The depth did show up in the device list. Still didn't show on the other plotter or displays. I think it will be fine when launched.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:54   #17

Update. boat was launched early June. The depth did start showing up, so apparently it does need to be in the water.

Interesting, the SAME thing is happening now. The speed is reading 2 knts lower than real speed. It was fine when it was first launched. Now it is reading way too slow.

I pulled the unit out of the boat, cleaned it to like new. Still reading slow. Took it out again, played with the wheel, It felt 'gritty' when spun by hand. Thinking some sand or growth or something got between the axle and the wheel and causing some extra friction..There was some growth on the side of the wheel, possibly that caused some friction.

For better or worse, I sprayed some sailkote on the wheel/axle to see if it will smooth out. It feels a lot 'free-er' now. Will see if the speed is more accurate next time.

Thinking of just keeping the sending unit out of the boat til I need it. as it seems to foul a lot more than our old 90s Autohelm paddlewheel ever did!

Unsure if the axle /wheel on the DST800 can come apart to be cleaned better.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:01   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Have you calibrated the speed? They usually read incorrectly until this is done.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:26   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Have you calibrated the speed? They usually read incorrectly until this is done.
Yes, Calibrated it in June.. (about 68%) been fine.. then this weekend it was registering way slow, like needing 120% . This is why it was replaced under warranty this spring.

Hoping it was just environmental (sand/growth/etc) on it to cause it to run slow.. There was a good amount of grittyness you could feel and hear when you turned the paddlewheel when i pulled it out of the hull.

Hopefully my deep cleaning it , the best I could, will help.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:38   #20

Kinda answering my own question.. reading the manual (shocking concept) it says the shaft can be removed to service the insert...by pulling on the end of the shaft. Problem is, the shaft is below the surface of the plastic, nothing to grab onto! No idea how to actually remove the shaft...without damaging something. I guess if it is removed, you are supposed to put a new one in. But if i could get the shaft out, that would make cleaning a LOT easier!

http://www.airmartechnology.com/uplo.../17-355-01.pdf
Old 04-05-2020, 01:35   #21

Did you get a resolution for depth issue with the DST?
I have exactly the same problem with my DST800 (showing up as DST200), I cant find it under the Depth device menu. For Speed and Temp the DST200 show up as options.
Hans_Grapenmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:25   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans_Grapenmyr View Post
Did you get a resolution for depth issue with the DST?
I have exactly the same problem with my DST800 (showing up as DST200), I cant find it under the Depth device menu. For Speed and Temp the DST200 show up as options.
The depth showed up when the boat was put in the water..
Old 01-09-2020, 23:08   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
The depth showed up when the boat was put in the water..
I had the same problem on my newly installed Vulcan FS, DST800 shows up as DST200. I got now a depth reading, but no bottom echo sounder image. Or does this model perhaps even not even provide any echo sound bottom image?
GwalarnYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:03   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
Yes, Calibrated it in June.. (about 68%) been fine.. then this weekend it was registering way slow, like needing 120% . This is why it was replaced under warranty this spring.

Hoping it was just environmental (sand/growth/etc) on it to cause it to run slow.. There was a good amount of grittyness you could feel and hear when you turned the paddlewheel when i pulled it out of the hull.

Hopefully my deep cleaning it , the best I could, will help.
this calibration is for june,date xx, hour, curent on this date.
sometime i calibrate DST800 couple time in one hour.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:13   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwalarnYacht View Post
I had the same problem on my newly installed Vulcan FS, DST800 shows up as DST200. I got now a depth reading, but no bottom echo sounder image. Or does this model perhaps even not even provide any echo sound bottom image?
DST800 is not sounder image sensor. DST800 is a Smart™ TRIDUCER® Multisensor that offers depth, speed, and temperature functions in one compact thru-hull fitting. sensor computes accurate depth, speed, and temperature data and sends it to any NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000 display or network.
http://www.airmar.com/productdescription.html?id=110
more is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth