Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2009, 12:59   #1

New Antenna, Now What?

I just had the standing rigging replaced, which included the in-line HF antenna. The rigger used stayloc fittings, and the job looks great, but he didn't have enough feedline from the old antenna to make the connection to the new one. It looks like I need to replace the feedline from the balun to the new antenna. I've got 2 problems:

1. I've been looking for marine feedline. The old rig was attached using unshielded radio feedline. It worked great, and I'd like to use the same thing if I can find it, but nobody seems to have it. Anyone have a source or can you recommend an alternative??

2. How do I attach the feed line to the stay? I suspect the old feedline was clamped on using a hose clamp. I'm concerned that clamping the tinned copper feed line to the stainless stay could lead to galvanic corrosion and I'd rather not take the chance.

Can anyone give me a little guidance?
frogman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 13:12   #2

Boat: Tayana 37- Victoria Rose
Hi Frogman.... for the line to the antenna, you'll need GTO15 wire. You can get it from Defender or other marine electronics outlets.

On our installation, after reading lots of posts and sorting through many opinions.... we simply used a cable clamp and eye connector. We ran the GTO15 up the back stay (using stand offs) and then did a 90-degree turn with the wire so the insulation would be above the connection... an attempt to keep water from running down the wire. We soldered a round wire connector (which probably isn't necessary) to the end of the GFO15, and put it through one of the bolts on the cable clamp. My guess is just tucking it under a clamp would work fine.

We also attempted to add a bit more protection by enclosing the GTO15 in a tube to prevent burns should someone accidently grab the wire when we were transmitting.
Sailabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 13:19   #3

That is exactly the answer I needed. I'd been searching the web and had just found a few examples where the feed was clamped directly to the stay, but I like your idea a lot better. The boats in the yard gettng the bottom done. We'll get it back this coming weekend and then I'll give this a try. It's amazing how sparse this information is. After tons of searching and even calling folks at a Ham Radio supply I hadn't gotten anything useful, then I remembered the forum Thanks!
frogman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:59   #4

Any suggestions on a tv antenna ( mast mount ) for HD tv ?
Danny B
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:18   #5
Eternal Member

frogman27,

Steve has it right: use GTO-15 feedline and a s/s cable clamp. However, an easy way to terminate the GTO-15 is with a sturdy ring terminal, with a hole sized to fit over one of the legs of the s/s cable clamp. This should be either a heat-shrink terminal or you should put heavy adhesive heat shrink tubing over it. I actually use both! Then, there's no need for the loop....just run the wire up the backstay and connect it to the wire clamp, using another nut if you have one (best) or the existing nut if you don't.

GTO-15 is AWG14 size wire. I prefer to use yellow terminals because they're stronger than the blue ones, and to double the bare wire back onto itself for a tighter crimp connection. Take time, and do this right, inserting the insulated portion into the end of the heat shrink ring terminal. Then, put another length of adhesive heat shrink over that.

This connection is easy to inspect and clean periodically. Leave a little extra wire belowdecks in case you have to replace the terminals somewhere down the line.

Use either short PVC lengths with wire ties or, better, 5/8" solid nylon rod with a hole drilled in the middle to hold the feedline about 2" off the backstay.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:23   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Do I recall correctly that GTO-15 is also the standard wire used for neon glass? Meaning, a local neon sign supplier might also sell it, at non-marine prices.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:27   #7
Eternal Member

Yeah, but it's so cheap anyway it's hardly worth the effort to shop around.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 14:27   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I didn't mean shop around, just that if the local chandlery doesn't have it, and the local Radio Shack says the usual "Huh?"...neon suppliers are another option that might be around. As opposed to having it shipped in, waiting and paying UPS at least ten bucks once their residential delivery surcharge kicks in. (Heck, even the Priority Mail boxes hit ten bucks real fast these days.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna