Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2015, 18:08   #1

Boat: Morris Justine
NEMA n2k field connector cable problem

I'm installing a N2K network in my boat but am having a problem with a drop cable I made using field connectors. If I replace the cable with a pre-fabed one, everything works. I've triple checked the cable I made (Maretron field connectors) using a continuity multi-meter. The pins on the male side correctly go to the correct pins on the female side and no shorts to other pins are detected yet the cable doesn't work.

Any suggestions?
MooGroc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 18:22   #2

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Re: NEMA n2k field connector cable problem

I made up a field connector and it worked well.

going to sound retarded, but try wiggling it and turning the nut a bit more. might not be getting seated all the way.. maybe a tiny bit of lube on the threads to ensure the pins make contact.

maybe start fresh, cut the wires exactly like the directions say.. again..

it is a bit touchy making them up, i agree
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 00:23   #3

I hate those connectors but they aways work. just need to match up the colors...
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:16   #4

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

After I got my whole network set up, with half a dozen field connectors and another dozen premade connectors and cables, I had two shorts, both int he field connectors.

Turned out to be easy to find. I just redid it and it was fine. Have you tried a different bulk cable? Maybe the bulk cable is bad.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:19   #5

Thanks everyone. Seems these things are normally pretty good. I'll cut the ends off and try again. This time tinning the wire ends and shrink wrapping the shield. If that doesn't do it, I'll suspect the cable. Just frustrating that my continuity tests show the cable is good.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:27   #6

seriously, try retightening it. it might work. I had trouble seating even some pre-made wires, that required some wiggling and retightening (I didn't want to over-tighten them at first). But follow the directions to the letter! cut the wires to the length they tell you. MEASURE the wires, dont getimate. 2mm is 2mm! One will be shorter than the rest for a reason!

also try to test each wire with ALL the pins on the other side, maybe 2 wires are shorted. if one pin shows continuity to 2 pins... you got a problem!

took me a couple times to get it right myself.
Old 13-04-2015, 03:58   #7

So, I cut the ends of my cable and reattached the field connectors. I used my multi-meter to verify it was wired correctly. Same problem. My cable doesn't work but the pre-fabbed cable does.

Than I did something interesting. I put the pre-fab and mine together with the pre-fab one at the Garmin 740 end and it worked. So, the problem is that the field connector wasn't making a good connection at the Garmin end. I attached the field connector to the Garmin again using wrenches to get it all the way down and very tight and it worked. I had been very careful the previous times I connected to it so it wasn't like I over looked this before.

I blame the low quality plastic connector on the back of the Garmin. Everything works now. I just hope I don't have to touch that connection again for a long time. It might not stand up to being removed and put back on tight enough. No such problems with the metal connectors on the iCOM or Vesper.
Old 13-04-2015, 04:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooGroc View Post
So, I cut the ends of my cable and reattached the field connectors. I used my multi-meter to verify it was wired correctly. Same problem. My cable doesn't work but the pre-fabbed cable does.

Than I did something interesting. I put the pre-fab and mine together with the pre-fab one at the Garmin 740 end and it worked. So, the problem is that the field connector wasn't making a good connection at the Garmin end. I attached the field connector to the Garmin again using wrenches to get it all the way down and very tight and it worked. I had been very careful the previous times I connected to it so it wasn't like I over looked this before.

I blame the low quality plastic connector on the back of the Garmin. Everything works now. I just hope I don't have to touch that connection again for a long time. It might not stand up to being removed and put back on tight enough. No such problems with the metal connectors on the iCOM or Vesper.
Not surprised. As I mentioned, I had a similar problem (on pre-fab cables and the field-fab ones), really had to work to make contact on a couple of them. I didnt use a wrench, but some just didnt want to make full contact. At least you know your workmanship and the field connector are good. I do wish they made an easier (and less expensive) field connector!

Great that you followed up with the thread and said what worked.