Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 09:29   #1

Need internet in Baja...Stressing BAD!!!

I am not very "tech" friendly, but I assumed (stupidly) that with all the tech stuff going on, enrolling my children in Virtual school, while sailing around the sea of Cortez was a CAKE WALK!!! I really thought Tex-Mex, or even alltell could provide me constant phone/internet via satellite, even maybe direct tv............That is not what I am finding, I am finding $10,000 eqpt, and $1500.00 a month fee's ect...? Help me. Someone must know a secret, a tip, something to give me those services without it costing thousands. Please!!!
teamfshnakd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:24   #2

Contact

Teamfshnakd,

The Sea of Cortez is REMOTE cruising! There is WiFi at more and more places in the Sea, but not all over the place. And it's NOT known as being fast!

We have sailed the Sea for the last 3 summers. You can see a lot of info on our web page under our “Position Reports”.

For schooling, if it's only written reports back and forth, you can use Sailmail (see SailMail) It's only US$ 250.00 per year after you have your SSB radio and Pactor modem set up.

Hay, it's cruising!

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:10   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfshnakd View Post
... I really thought Tex-Mex, or even alltell could provide me constant phone/internet via satellite, even maybe direct tv............That is not what I am finding, I am finding $10,000 eqpt, and $1500.00 a month fee's ect...? Help me. Someone must know a secret, a tip, something to give me those services without it costing thousands. Please!!!
What you found, is not that those desired technical resources were unavailable; but that they cost more than you desired to pay.
Cruising, like most endeavours, is a compromise (albeit an overwhelmingly favourable one, for many of us). It’s difficult to rationalize the competing desires of remote living, with urban services, at little (or no) cost. Perhaps it’s an unreasonable expectation.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 14:12   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
From my land travels in Mexico I have found land based broadband to be common. It takes time to develop markets for even newer technology. The wireless data market is actually so large now that satellites to carry more volume are sold out as soon as available. There are commercial users that need this a lot more than cruisers do. They pay a lot more because they have the resources to justify it. Cheap broadband Internet access at sea is mostly stuff for your great grandchildren - maybe.

Satellite communications technology has reached a point where the data density of a transmission signal is rich to the point where very little is any additional bandwidth can be carried. There is a limit on how fine you can slice the spectrum. Going beyond this will require technology breakthroughs of an enormous proportion. This even assumes that the gear you need in the expensive solutions gets dirt cheap. The air time prices are not going any direction but up.

There are places where cell phones don't work. It means there still are quiet places cruise.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 17:59   #5

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Consider cruising the Florida coast instead.
Old 04-08-2008, 22:16   #6

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Get a spear gun, learn to fish and not care about youtube.

I wish I was back there right now.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:38   #7

I am in no way, a person who needs phones/ e-mail and crap like that period. The problem is 3 children who have to get their education via, internet.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:01   #8

Home schooling as you cruise...

Team,

If it is just a matter of schooling, then they do not “NEED” the Internet. We know of 3 or 4 other boats doing home schooling now. And they are all in the Sea of Cotez and Mexico west coast area.

Have you looked on the net for “home schooling”?
Take a look at: Calvert School: Providing Home School Curriculum and Support for Over a Century

There are also a lot of others. Once couple we know of used a package put together by the school district where they lived before they started cruising.

If you need a contact, I can put you in contact with one couple with 3 kids who are doing it now.

Greg
Old 05-08-2008, 08:57   #9

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfshnakd View Post
I am in no way, a person who needs phones/ e-mail and crap like that period. The problem is 3 children who have to get their education via, internet.
If I offended you, I'm sorry. It was not meant as a jab.

I remember being a few months into cruising having left the workaday world and dealing with having to slow down the daily pace. It wasn't easy.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:28   #10

I did not take it personal, I really just did not consider the internet to be hard to get now days. The problem is that we enrolled all 3 children in a pricey "Virtual Academy" That requires each of them to have internet access 20hrs a week. I think we could swing it if we stay close to marinas with wi-fi, but it is just overwhelming. To tell you the truth, I don't even know if Wi-fi works on the desk-top computers the school issued. I think it might only be for lap tops, but again I am Techtarded!
Old 05-08-2008, 10:44   #11

Team,

OK, now with a it more info from you, I can provide a bit more info to you. Also a quick question. Do they need to be 20 hours per week, or can it be no time this week and then 30 hours for the next 2 weeks?

You can get free Internet in La Paz, Low cost Internet in Puerto Escondido, Low cost Internet in Loreto, free Internet in the Bay of Concepcion, low cost in Mulege, Free in Santa Rosalia, and low cost in Bahia Los Angeles.

That would allow you to cruise most of the Sea making stops in nice places.

How big is the boat that you are taking a full size desk-top? If I were you I would go with a small (Eee PC for about US$400.00) laptop for the kids. Keep it in a dry bag and at only 2 pounds it's easy to take in the dink back and forth to shore.

FYI, The Eee (or similar small laptops) have WiFi and a video camera built in.

Greg
Old 05-08-2008, 10:57   #12

I know that I log in in their hours for school time, but the new virtual classes are available only weekly, but they could do all the courses in 2-3 days and have the rest of the time off, but I do have to do their attendance each Sat. School hasn't started yet, so i can get some practice on land, and work on "being Creative" before we get into a bind.
we are looking at a 45" Cat.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:59   #13

Team,

I think I have gone about as far as I can in response to Internet in the Sea of Cortez.

As far as schooling the kids, as I said I can put you in contact with others schooling the kids as they cruise.

Jill and I have talked about it and although we are not familiar with the program you have signed up for, we think you might want to reconsider such a structured school program. There is SO MANY enriching activities is the Sea that could never even be considered in a structured program! Last year we were with a few other cruisers and their kids taking inland trips to cave paintings that are over a thousand years old, a turtle sanctuary and other once in a lifetime experiences.

We have also spent two weeks or more at a time dodging storms in a “hurricane hole” with NO outside contact other than SSB or HAM radio. Not all marinas in the Sea are suitable for waiting out a bad storm.

Good luck on what ever you decide and most of all, ENJOY the cruising experience and make sure the kids have fun as well !

Greg & Jill
Old 05-08-2008, 12:38   #14

Boat: Catalac 10M
Check this out. A cruising couple with three kids. She is a (very good) writer and a home schooling expert. Also I believe they plan to do the Sea of Cortez this winter.

Toast Floats
thims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 10:10   #15

Boat: SWITCH 51 CATAMARAN - ZIA
5milewifi

Check this out - wifi access 5 miles or more from the hotspot.

5MileWIFI.com