Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2014, 04:27   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Need Help Expanding Wood panel

Overview: The Plotter, Depth and Knot Log on my boat are all mounted on the cockpit side of the bulkhead that is common with the cabin. The cabin side of the bulkhead is covered by a removable piece of teak ply that the PO 1/2 "heartedly" added a small wood bump out onto. The bump out looks terrible and as I continue to bring the electronics on my 34 year old Tartan into the 21st Century, it is too small.

After spending a few days Googling, it seemed prudent to reach out to the CF brain trust. So far I found the Beckson C2 vent that could be mounted with the open side up (against the cabin ceiling):

There are also some NEMA rated enclosures that are designed to be fully weatherproof, and priced accordingly.

Speaker enclosures are too small. The SWAG dimensions are 5" X 8" (minimum) and at least 2" deep. If the bump out is larger by 2-3 inches, that is fine as I am sure the space will get used.

Has anyone come up with a better way to add an "electronics bump" to a flat wood panel?

Thanks
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 04:42   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Need Help Expanding Wood panel

I have the same issue. Speed and depth are mounted on the starboard cockpit bulkhead and the compass is on port.

If you find something let us know. I am going to put the electrical panel inside on starboard and am going to add a galley cabinet on starboard.

Here are my cardboard mock ups and a shot of the galley build as of today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-20 13.23.19.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	92203   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-20 13.23.23.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	92204  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-23 19.12.40.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	391.3 KB
ID:	92205  
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 07:26   #3
Marine Service Provider

Ex-Calif

If you decide to network NMEA 0183 data, check out the Madman Electonics (NZ) NMEA to Wi-Fi adapter and Yapp Electonics (UK) multiplexer. Definitely a better value than other options.

I have used the Wi-Fi for some time, throwing AIS data to my iPad or PC. I am ordering the multiplexer so both AIS and GPS data can be fed to the PC. Hence the desire to get more space.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 23-11-2014, 08:27   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

Why not just make your own bump-out from 3/8" teak veneered ply with solid trim around the edges?. It will look better and you can make it exactly the dimensions you need.

Anything else is going to be an eyesore.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 11:44   #5
Marine Service Provider

Need Help Expanding Wood panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Why not just make your own bump-out from 3/8" teak veneered ply with solid trim around the edges?. It will look better and you can make it exactly the dimensions you need.

Anything else is going to be an eyesore.

Yes you are right. This probably is how the story is going to end. I was looking for an easier solution. But your solution will look better.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-11-2014, 12:00   #6

I like your mushroom vent solution. Should work fine.
Or you could add a plastic portlight on the inside.
Or you could make spacer rings so the instruments are projected further into the cockpit and not into the boat.
Or you could have a nice snap on Sunbrella cover for the inside.
Or there's always a nautical oriented picture in a frame that covers it.
or.....

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote