Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 23:13   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
Navpod: Where to put it?

I have all the equipment needed to set up a Raymarine Seatalk network for my instruments. I have a three-instrument navpod that I can install in two potential locations.

The first is the location where the old instruments were, on the wheel pedestal. I've removed all the old instrument except the speed log, because it was the only thing that still worked. Once I install the new instruments I'll remove that too.

The second location on on the cabin roof just behind the main cabin hatch. The boat is a cruiser but we race at our yacht club during the summer.

Installing on the pedestal would be easier. The pedestal already has the space and tubing that would accept the Seatalk cable.

Installing on the cabin-top would be harder. There is no natural mounting location or hardware.

On the Pedestal only the helmsman can see the instruments. On the cabin top the entire cockpit crew can see them, but they would be more susceptible to damage by crew working on raising and lower sails and moving around on the deck.

Anyone have an opinion on which location I should favor?
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 23:26   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Navpod: Where to put it?

The only things the sail trimmers need to see are wind angle and boat speed. Those (or at least repeaters) should be visible from the entire cockpit -- either above the hatch or possibly either side of the companionway if you prefer.

You can then have the depth (or tridata) at the helm, as the helm is the only one interested in that. Autopilot controls and potential space for chartplotter are the other things for the helm position.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:59   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42

I went through the same decision process after we bought our current boat and in the end decided to mount the instruments I needed to see but not manipulate over the companionway. For that we had a small tubular frame made up with a couple of short uprights spaced to fit a 3 instrument NavPod. The greatest difficulty was running the cables through the overhead but we got that handled with patience. The mount works well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cockpit 1.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	438.9 KB
ID:	177138  
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:38   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

If you race, you want them visible to trimmers, pure and simple. If you ever cruise the boat long distance you probably want them where you can see them from under the protection of a dodger.

Really the only device to have at the helm is a mfd/plotter for the simple fact that the helmsman needs access to the controls at times.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:50   #5

Autopilot should be by the helm....That would lead to mounting the nav-pod at the helm
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:04   #6
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

If you are a frequent long passage maker the instruments may be better under the dodger.

Daysailer or short passage cruiser, all at the helm.

When racing, add a speed puck forward for crew to see.

Communicate WIFI MFD with mobile devices down below or up on deck in nice weather.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:20   #7

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

The one big issue I have with having them on the pedestal is that too often it blocks one's vision, especially if sitting. This isn't an issue if the trip is short, but on long trips it can definitely be annoying.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:31   #8

Boat: DownEaster 38

I recently had a similar situation with locating a Chartplotter and a single display.
I ended up with the chart plotter at the helm (everything is there) and the display on the coach roof just to starboard of the companionway. I don't have any winches there (yet) so its a good spot. You could put the three hole NavPod there, too but over the companion way is probably better. Running cables inside without messing up the headliner was the hardest part, but patience paid off.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:38   #9

Boat: Catalina 30

We took out the original displays from the original pods to each side of the compass and replaced them with Garmin GMI-20s. The pedestal has a single NMEA2K cable with a 4 port terminator and the power for a chart plotter. One MFD shows Depth and the other shows Wind Angle and Speed. We have a B&G Vulcan 7FS at the nav station below that gets the depth from the transducer and repeats it to the NMEA network. It also supplies the GPS coordinates to the network and VHF. Often if I'm in a familiar area I don't even mount the helm's Simrad EVO2 NNS chart plotter.

If you're that serious about racing, they make wind speed/angle displays that mount on the mast, so everyone can see it and it is not a tripping hazard.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 17:43   #10

Boat: Hudson 50

I would install them on the pedestal if it were me just so the helmsman has everything nearby. In fact do you have a chart plotter? You might want to add a Nav pod as we’ll although the pedestal tubing would need to be changed to give you more mounting space.
Please search Nav Pod Pictures for some examples
Old 11-09-2018, 09:19   #11

Boat: Freedom 38

I second the approach for an MFD at the helm and displays over the companionway as the best for both inshore racing and offshore cruising, which is how I use my boat. The reason is that for close quartering, you'll be at the helm and might need to navigate by computer (in fog at night, for example, or coming into an unknown harbor). Better still might be a way to turn the MFD around at the helm so it can be seen either way. This is the the way I might go but I'm usually double- or single-handing so my needs are different with fewer crew and the AP functioning as the helmsman the majority of the time when offshore.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote