Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 05:48   #1

Boat: Gozzard 41
Navionics Platinum or Gold for Ray Marine E 80?

I'm getting ready for an extended cruise and outfitting my E80 chart library. I'm looking for opinions on whether it's worth the money for the platinum upgrades? They (platinum) are very slow On my E80 so I'm thinking gold maybe a far better value.

Appreciate any thoughts!

Frank, Eleanor Q
E

Eleanor
Eleanor Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:26   #2

Boat: Allures 44
Re: Navionics Platinum or Gold for Ray Marine E 80?

You're thinking right. Gold is cheaper, and it includes a far larger coverage area on one card. I doubt you'll miss the Platinum features (like satellite imagery overlay). I don't.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:01   #3

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

If you are using dollars as your sole criteria for selection, then gold charts are the way to go.

I used Platium Charts on the E-80 on my last boat and on my E-120 in this boat for San Francisco and Southern California.

Unfortunately, when we went into Mexico and Central America, there were no platinum charts for the area, so we used the Gold charts for Mexico, Central and South America.

What we lost were the annimted current direction markers, satellite photos of unknown marinas we were entering and underwater contours. I missed those features and will be glad to plug in the Platinum Charts once we cross over to the Caribbean Sea.

We also use the Navionics World to update the platinum chart chips weekly, which is free for the first year you own the charts.
Save 50% on chart update | Navionics

Unfortunately, we couldn't update the Gold SD Card, because the CF card is full and can't tranfer teh data. (remember one SD card covers all of Meixco, Central and South America).

Anyway my recommendation is if it is not about money the Platinum Charts are well worth it...

Also make sure your E-80 has the lastest software version, which is currently 5.69
http://www.raymarine.com/knowledgeba....cfm?view=3753

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:35   #4

Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

I forgot to mention that we are also using the Navionics PC APP. One of my favorite toys.

Once you register you chart chips, you can down load the software to you PC and it will display all the charts you currently have registered, without using the chips...

The software is a little clunky, but it allows you to plan routes and place waypoints. Then you save the dta to an SD Card and transfer ito your Chartplotter. The software is great for route review and planning.

Another nice feature of the Navionic PC APP is tht it allows User interface. For instance if you update marina information, chart info or maybe just your favorite dive spot, it is share with the rest of the "Community" who uses the software.

We have found some great snorkling spots and anchorages that other people have previously visited and marked.

Mobile & PC App | Navionics

Old 04-11-2012, 08:43   #5

Boat: Gozzard 41
Thanks for the replays guys.

Jeremaison, do you find the platinum slow on your E 80. I have one chip. For the Chesapeake find it too slow!

Frank
Eleanor Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Q View Post
Thanks for the replays guys.

Jeremaison, do you find the platinum slow on your E 80. I have one chip. For the Chesapeake find it too slow!

Frank
It can be slower depending on how much data you display. If you display all data, it will be slower zooming in or out or moving around the chart.

Go into your menu and turn off some of the displays (Like anything to do with land displays) and you will see a difference in speed.