Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2013, 15:41   #1

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Navionics on android device

Just had a look on the "play" store and see that Navionics now have nav packages to run on Android devices
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...r?id=Navionics

Has anyone had any experience with them yet?
$44 for charts including seems an absolute steal considering the price of paper.

I will have the real deal inside the boat (cMap, siTex explorer plus and monitor) and some photocopied paper, but for a backup unit for outside the navionic looks like a very viable alternative.
Old 31-01-2013, 16:09   #2

Re: Navionics on android device

I have it to demonstrate to my students what is available on a phone. I like the availability of marina phone numbers and other services.

I would not use it a means of navigation unless my charts, chartplotter, and netbook failed.

It can be glitchy when using the ? to check on features like navaids. It freezes then crashes.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 16:12   #3

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

I have it on my Android phone. US, Central and South America. Works just like a chartplotter. Great for backup. I have had no problems with it.
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 16:21   #4

I use it on a samsung 10.1 tablet. Works great as back up but with reduced functinality in routing. The charts for cellphone differs from what is used in tablet software. I bought (by misstake) both. The cellphone issue is less detailed. I think some layers might be omitted
Deckmatedufour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 19:04   #5

Thanks for the replies.
I notice the Garmin BlueChart Mobile app does not work as an independent navigation device, that is, although you can enter waypoints and routes, you cannot navigate to a waypoint or navigate a route.

Is this the same with the Navionics ?
Old 31-01-2013, 19:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I would not use it a means of navigation unless my charts, chartplotter, and netbook failed.
The plan would be to have the real one (Cmap and siTex explorer plus and monitor) down below safe and dry where we would mostly be when on autopilot and on passage. In addition to that I have a laptop with MaxSea CM93.

The plan for this tablet device would be for when I drive from up top in nice weather and when coming into an anchorage needing a bit of additional visual information.
Old 31-01-2013, 21:22   #7

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

I have this app running on my Lenovo 10" tablet and use it almost exclusively over other choices I have on board:
  • older Raymarine chartplotter installed
  • handheld Garmin GPSMAP
  • Garmin Bluechart on PC
  • Paper charts (most quite old)
  • Marine area maps
My chartplotter display is inside at the nav station, so not so helpful when negotiating channels - like from Brisbane to the Gold Coast which I found a bit daunting doing it for the first time recently. With the tablet next to me on the helm seat it was easy to resolve any uncertainty on markers, and the accuracy was spot on. I like the intuitive touchscreen functions, and the ease of zooming in/out and displaying distances and bearings.

GPS acquisition is fast when under the bimini, but it takes a few minutes from inside the cabin. Once acquired, it keeps up fairly well. I assume this sensitivity would be a function of the particular device. There is an excellent free app to test the GPS and see what satellites are detected and their strengths .. "GPS Status".

There are a few negatives though. Battery consumption is a bit of an issue as the GPS and display consume a fair bit of power. A constant charging source would be useful. Mine also goes into standby after a period of inactivity, and then needs to reacquire the satellites when woken. I can adjust the standby timeout period but not disable it.

Lack of sunlight readability, and the fact that it is not robust or waterproof are other negatives. It also lacks in functions (e.g. very basic route planning, only displays North up).

The downloaded charts can not be identified by name or number so if you want to make space and archive your charts, you would have to delete them all and then re-download just the area you want.

Apart from these shortcomings it gets a big thumbs up from me. So while I would not consider it a primary navigation device or a proper planning tool, at the price it's is a no brainer if you already have a tablet. Note that you can install the app on more than one tablet (linked to your Google account).

I haven't had had any freezing or crashes as noted by Jackdale. Maybe it’s a compatibility issue. It won’t run at all on my Toshiba AT1S0 (7").
Old 01-02-2013, 13:49   #8

In Navionics you easily can create a route, but you can only edit the last WP in the route and you must delete and create a new WP when you want to move it (the last WP). The screen present the route and your track together with course and speed but not XTE or BTW. This said I still find it very useful. Not least when the primary nav station is down below and you want some extra assitance in the cockpit. I have so far experience from charts covering Baltic Ocean and part of Germany and Netherland, they have all been without remarks.
Deckmatedufour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 14:20   #9

Just make sure you get the right version of android. Some of the newer tablets won't work with navionics. (Yet)
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 16:22   #10

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Had some problems last summer when the app refused to start at all. Now it's working fine couse Navionics has corrected the problem (me think's bcs didn't do nothing in this end)
Got galaxy and apps for Europe and Caribean.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navionics