Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 02:24   #1

Boat: Outremer 55 Light
Navionics App on Android Phone

I've just downloaded the Navionics app and chart onto my Samsung Galaxy SIII. The chart looks fine but the app doesn't seem to provide SOG or COG.

Am I missing something or does the Navionics app not have SOG and COG?

Barrie
Cruisin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 23:45   #2

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft
Re: Navionics App on Android Phone

That is not the only problem with navionics for android. I have hundreds of waypoints archived and cannot get them on the app.
Jubilee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
That is not the only problem with navionics for android. I have hundreds of waypoints archived and cannot get them on the app.
I second that not only is the last way point not able to be edited when saved but at that pointthe screen is so expaned you can't see ur surounds to edit to along with false advertizement about there software and terrible tech support
georgepetsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:21   #4

Boat: Outremer 55 Light

OK, doesn't sound too good...I'm glad I only paid $14 for it!

While researching this Navionics problem I've read some good things about a navigation app called MX Mariner....anyone using this?
Cruisin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:54   #5

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I use MX Mariner and prefer it over Navionics. For a full list of MX's current features and planned improvements, see the developer's site here:
MX Mariner
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:25   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Silverton 33' "First Noel"

On the Navionics APP there is a speed display if you have your GPS engaged and your moving. No COG. They do have a max of 200 waypoints.
JNoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:28   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
So who is happy with their android navigation ap? Looking for recommendations...
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:54   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Silverton 33' "First Noel"

I have had it for the past 2yrs. I must always remind myself that this is back up and nothing beats a chartplotter. Like the Navioncs APP, also running it on iPad which I really enjoy. Might get to go out this weekend. Rain Rain, please stay away....
JNoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:11   #9

Boat: Cal 2-27

I have mx mariner and navionics on my nexus 7 and phones. I like navionics over mx anyday. just try them both they are pretty cheap. I like the look of mx better as navionics is to "crowded looking" and not as clean looking, but functionality, i really like all of the features of navionics and would pick it if i could only have 1
Old 11-05-2013, 05:54   #10

I complained to Navionics about not being able to load my archived waypoints. Got a canned answer that it is not possible at this time. No other interest from them.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:41   #11

Remember the Navionics app cost $15.00 for all of the US and Canada. It really is not going have all the features of a full chartplotter. But then that is not what it is intended to do. While I do have it, it really is that last thing I would use for navigation.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 14:55   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Remember the Navionics app cost $15.00 for all of the US and Canada. It really is not going have all the features of a full chartplotter. But then that is not what it is intended to do. While I do have it, it really is that last thing I would use for navigation.
It's nice that you where able to buy this app for $15 as they can hardly charge for US taxpayer funded charts. However my app cost $77 for Asia. What are we supposed to do with an app with charting. Are you saying it is not to be trusted? Why buy it if you are not going to use it or is it something that you can just sit in a pub and show off with. Without the ability to add and massage waypoints easily it is just another P.O.S.
Old 11-05-2013, 19:03   #13

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

I don't have a plotter display at the helm. So I use my Navionics app on tablet somewhat like a GPS navigator in a car in browse mode ..... just to keep track of where I am and show my position relative to the various markers. It's great when in a narrow channel with various inlets and confusing markers (sometimes hard to work out which is upstream/downstream), and I have found the accuracy spot on (Brisbane to Sydney area).

Being updateable on demand it should be more accurate than my 6-7 year old charts in the plotter. The plotter is older technology so I will not be doing any updates to the charts.

The tablet is also great to take to the saloon table and discuss options for a trip. But I would not try to use it for proper route planning or waypoints. For that I use a paper chart, and also mark my track on it periodically. The boat's GPS plotter gets used less often.

My PC will have a bigger role in my next trip, but that is getting a bit off topic. For the Navionics app, although the price has gone up, I would recommend it to anyone with a compatible tablet, but not to buy a tablet for the purpose.
Old 11-05-2013, 20:10   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
It's nice that you where able to buy this app for $15 as they can hardly charge for US taxpayer funded charts. However my app cost $77 for Asia. What are we supposed to do with an app with charting. Are you saying it is not to be trusted? Why buy it if you are not going to use it or is it something that you can just sit in a pub and show off with. Without the ability to add and massage waypoints easily it is just another P.O.S.
The Canadian Hydographic Service charges for its charts, a set of raster charts to cover Vancouver Island is about $350.

As an instructor, I get students asking about such apps. I also compare the apps to chartplotters, laptop based charting and paper charts. As well I teach the raster and vector base charting systems.

Since it is on my phone I do on occasion use it to show someone a particular locality. But I do not use it for serious navigation.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 20:49   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
The Canadian Hydographic Service charges for its charts, a set of raster charts to cover Vancouver Island is about $350.

As an instructor, I get students asking about such apps. I also compare the apps to chartplotters, laptop based charting and paper charts. As well I teach the raster and vector base charting systems.

Since it is on my phone I do on occasion use it to show someone a particular locality. But I do not use it for serious navigation.
As a world cruiser I have paper charts but have not used them in years. Knowing the limitations of electronic charting, most of the world navies and merchant fleets also are almost exclusively electronic charting.(Tubbataha Reef not withstanding) I have been cruising since before GPS. I have installed professionally many chartplotters and PC based navigation systems. Invariably the same problems arrive, the manufacturers for whatever reason change their system and render entire libraries obsolete as Navionics did on the Australia package recently. While I like the look of the Navionics charts on a Samsung 10.1 and do use it as another toolfor navigation it is limiting in what I bought it for. That is to use my existing waypoints. discuss and get info from other cruisers on anchorages and hazards because of the inability to import export waypoints and tracks. My primary system is PC based and I use a small netbook in the cockpit to aid navigation on reef passages I have used previously. In light conditions which make it difficult to see the reef it is very reassuring but not being daylight readable makes the Android more attractive. The Navionics advertising is misleading. I guess our primary difference in discussion is that you are using a phone where I am using a tablet as someone else has queried.

Tags
navionics, phone