Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2015, 15:03   #1

Boat: Hunter 460
Navigation / Sailing Apps for Android?

I don't want to start an "Apple" war but I'd like to hear opinions on app availability for Android tablets like the Samsung Galaxy. Are they as plentiful and good as for an Apple iPad? When I throw away my employee ID card I also intend to throw away my BlackBerry so I'll be looking at buying both a phone and a tablet from the same manufacturer.

Thanks.
Brian
txh2oskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 15:10   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: Navigation / Sailing Apps for Android?

Navionics is what I've used on Android in the past. They also have a windows app that I installed on my windows surface.

So I wouldn't limit yourself to just android. What's great about the surface (and similar competitors) is that it runs full windows and all the apps that go with it. Replaces my laptop. Only downside is there's no built in GPS, but I have a USB puck for it. There are lots of other devices to choose from.

I also don't think having a phone and tablet from the same manufacturer makes a huge difference. Same OS there's some benefits, but even that can be worked around. Not worrying about that, you can look at every option out there.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:30   #3

Navionics is good. Have a look at flytomaps in the USA. I haven't been lucky with my android phones and tablets and GPS. They all have it built in but they need strong signals and take a long time to link up. I must choose cheap gear. The iPad hooks up quickly and almost anywhere. Navionics and ftm work on it too.
Search around the net for navionics. You never know what you might find.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:11   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by txh2oskier View Post
I don't want to start an "Apple" war but I'd like to hear opinions on app availability for Android tablets like the Samsung Galaxy. Are they as plentiful and good as for an Apple iPad? When I throw away my employee ID card I also intend to throw away my BlackBerry so I'll be looking at buying both a phone and a tablet from the same manufacturer.

Thanks.
Brian

Several threads on the topic around here; do a search.

-Chris
Old 13-07-2015, 13:26   #5

Reviving rather than starting new thread.

I just bought a shocked awesome new android cell phone (Sonim XP7) and I want some chart plotter functionality out of it.

I've tried a search but can't find much recent on Navionics for Android. I've read some reviews that were fairly negative, specifically regarding advertising pop ups while navigating.

Does any one use Navionics for Android? Great Lakes and Gulf of St Lawrence?

Can any one recommend another suitable app?

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 15:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post

Can any one recommend another suitable app?

We use MX Mariner (raster charts) and Plan2Nav (C-Map vector charts) on android tablets with good success.

-Chris
Old 13-07-2015, 15:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We use MX Mariner (raster charts) and Plan2Nav (C-Map vector charts) on android tablets with good success.

-Chris
I checked them both out on the App store. Both have good reviews. If you were expecting a lot of confined navigation- like the ICW, is there one you would recommend over the other?

Old 13-07-2015, 15:44   #8

OpenCPN now available for Android but beta version only. Works well. CM93 charts can be found on net.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 15:50   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

-Chris
I have those plus Navionics and Marine Navigator on a Samsung Tab 2 (10"). Hey, I like having options.

Android nav apps are improving, but none are as full function as something like FUGAWI (which I rarely use now, but still have on my old neglected laptop).

For example, Marine Navigator natively imports BSB/KAP files so I've been using it in the San Blas with georeferenced scans of Bauhuas' charts. Otherwise its functionality is quite basic, but having Bauhaus on my tablet while picking thru the San Blas is GREAT! In theory you can do this with MX Mariner too, but it requires a third party conversion utility which I could not get to work.

Also, different chart sources are better for different areas. So I would check out CMAP, Navionics and other charts for your intended cruising area first. Then choose based on chart accuracy and software features. For example, CMAP is a bad joke in Belize, but excellent in the Bay Islands. This is one reason I like having multiple apps so that I can compare.

A screen shot of my navigation app portfolio attached.

I also run My Anchor Watch on my phone. Great app, that retires to the cabin with me each night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1436827841880.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	105293  
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 19:58   #10

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
A screen shot of my navigation app portfolio attached.
Thanks, belizesailor.

A question: is Course to Steer useful?

I've thought about it several times, looking at it on the Google Play Store. And I have not been able to work out how I'd really use it. I adjust my CTS to allow for leeway by trial and error - and I guess that's because leeway and currents etc always seem dynamic, not fixed numbers.

What's your experience with the CTS app?

Al
Old 13-07-2015, 20:05   #11

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

In addition to apps similar to those of belizesailor, I have:

* Anchor Alert (by SlimJim Software. It's relatively expensive, but I think it has functions not matched by less expensive anchor watch apps)

* Animated Knots

* Knots 3D (the two knot apps complement each other, with some overlap)

*GPS Status & Toolbox

* InSSIDer (to look at available WiFi networks; mainly used when in a new marina and on shore looking for a free and strong connection)

*OpenCPN

Al
Old 13-07-2015, 21:50   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Thanks, belizesailor.

A question: is Course to Steer useful?

I've thought about it several times, looking at it on the Google Play Store. And I have not been able to work out how I'd really use it. I adjust my CTS to allow for leeway by trial and error - and I guess that's because leeway and currents etc always seem dynamic, not fixed numbers.

What's your experience with the CTS app?

Al
I got it just to check it out. For me, its more intuitive just to do these calcs graphically if I need them.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 04:32   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I checked them both out on the App store. Both have good reviews. If you were expecting a lot of confined navigation- like the ICW, is there one you would recommend over the other?

No, and we purposely use both. Partly 'cause I prefer raster, and wifey can be talked into using vector. Partly because the C-Map vectors are different fro our NOAA vectors on the plotter and on our laptop backup (MaxSea).

IOW, we choose to use both so we can have multiple redundancies.

And then again, since they're both back-ups, can't say as we've wrung them out completely, like one might have done (out of necessity and frequency) with a primary system.

-Chris
Old 14-07-2015, 15:39   #14

Boat: Marples 37

I have an android tablet and like it, but the one negative I've found is if you have garmin charts as they're only usable with apple. Hopefully Garmin will catch up with the rest of the world one day.
CGirvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 17:18   #15

I've been working on installing plan2nav, but so far its been a lot of back and forth with customer service about little glitches.

I need to enter my address to register, including my state. I select Canada as my country, it requires me to include my state, but offers no fields to enter a state, likely because Canada isn't a republic. I'm still going to give them an opportunity to work out the bugs though, because it is very cheap.

Tags
navigation, sail, sailing