Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 14:48   #1

Boat: Pacific Int. Marine 41
Navigation Equipment Recommendations?

I have a new to me 30 year old 42' sailboat with mid 90's Instruments and displays. It looks to be a KVH Quaddro system and the displays are failing . I would like to do a complete system update and replace everything. I am looking for recommendations from fellow sailors and people who have install new systems before. I am looking for a good value but don't want bottom of the barrel stuff either. I am going to be doing some major ocean sailing in the next 5 years and would like something that can be expanded on with something like radar also. I at the very least need the standard sailing instruments. Depth, Speed, Wind dir & speed, GPS. The boat does have an older autopilot that looks to be nmea 0183, id like to be able to incorporate they autopilot with whatever I install but its not a show stopper. Thanks!

Also.... any opinions on traditional cups & vane vs ultrasonic wind instruments?
bhecla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 15:04   #2

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Navigation Equipment Recommendations?

Why don't you go to West Marine and play with some equipment hands on? Most of choosing a system comes down to what brand interface you like the best. Alot of people on these forums will support Garmin, Raymarine, Navico brands, Furuno, etc.

It all depends on your budget and what you want the overall system to do.

In terms of traditional windvane vs. ultrasonic, ultrasonic is definitely the future.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 15:11   #3

Boat: Pacific Int. Marine 41

I agree that using a system will let you know if its the right one. I guess I really want to throw the question out there so that I might pick up a tidbit of information that I may not have seen elsewhere. Such a large selection I am bound to miss something awesome :P
bhecla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 15:25   #4

I'm doing the same thing you are, in the process of setting up a complete system of electronics. I have toyed around with all of the brands, and I have decided to go with B&G. I really liked Raymarine's chartplotters, and Garmin has a nice, easy interface as well. B&G makes some sailing specific software that includes tacking lines, etc., however Garmin and other brands are starting to implement these as well.

When it comes to radar, Simrad/B&G/Lowrance makes a broadband radar (3G or 4G), that is a little different than traditional radar. Something to consider.
Old 05-03-2014, 15:33   #5

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhecla View Post
Also.... any opinions on traditional cups & vane vs ultrasonic wind instruments?
Ultrasonic sensor? They don't even tell you the price; you need to ask for a quote. ...... hahah.

I just use my tongue and ears to tell me the speed and the apparent wind direction.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 15:43   #6

Who is they?

Tags
equipment, men, navigation