Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2019, 22:00   #1

Boat: Contessa 32
Navico/Simrad TP22 tiller pilot war story...

Where to begin... I have always like the Simrad autopilots. I had a Wheelpilot back in the bad old 1990's, two boats ago, and it seemed indestructible. So when I bought boat number 3, a Contessa 32, tiller steered, it was a no-brainer to get a Simrad (by then devoured by Navico) TP22.

It did not disappoint. Several happy cruising seasons went by with "Mikey" (as we call autopilots out here on the BC Coast for historical reasons) doing a fine job. Singlehanding with no autopilot is no fun. Singlehanding with a good reliable autopilot is very nice indeed. Don't leave home without one!

So, it's Season 6. In July & pretty far from home, I notice that Mikey is whining a bit -- a new, high pitched element in the motor/drive sound when steering actively. Hmmm. It doesn't sound too bad. I think maybe I should take it apart and lube the drive screw at end of season. In early August it sounds worse. By mid August it's not just a subtle whine, it's almost a distressed bearing squeal... and I'm thinking I need to take it apart now, during the cruise, and find out WTH is going on.

I crack the case with great care, and have one of those awful moments that you remember for a long time after: the case spews (not just dribbles but spews) bright orange rusty water! (Which instantly stains my tired old cockpit gelcoat, but that's another matter entirely.) OMG. There's been water inside it for a while. Not good.

Now, let me say in passing that I always either cover the unit with a waterproof jacket when not in use, or take it below if idle for more than a few days. I don't go off-shore. It has never been slammed by green water coming aboard. It has been rained on -- I'm in BC, after all. That's about it. I am not an autopilot abuser -- I've treated it gently, and it's only in use about 4 months out of each year and only for (max) 6 hrs at a stretch. And if it starts working too hard, I take over and hand steer. I mean, it's had a good life.

So I gingerly explore further and find that the motor has apparently been sitting in a pool of rusty water for quite some time -- there's rust sludge build-up in the crevices of the bottom case. I do a careful and thorough cleanup with q-tips and get it all dry, then spray the motor and drive shaft with Corrosion Block in the hope of slowing down the damage. It's still working when reassembled, despite the pathetic whine. And I'm homeward bound, so... OK, this sucks but it will probably work until I get home. And it does.

On getting home I call Navico Canada. I talk to a very nice, intelligent, courteous fellow who tells me some very shocking news.

Navico has no repair depot anywhere in N America. Navico also does not sell spare parts, or even ship them to their regional tech support people. Navico will replace your TP22 if it fails in service within 5 years of purchase, but if it fails after that period you are SOL: throw it away and get another one.

I am appalled! They're selling an expensive and important bit of marine gear with absolutely no repair path? But he confirms, no repair path. So I dig up the original receipt from West Marine, and wouldn't you know it... I'm about 4 months past the 5 year mark. [ Cue sounds of gnashing teeth and pounding head on keyboard.] So I've appealed to the nice guy at Navico Canada to bend the policy just a little considering the light duty cycle, fact that the leak must have been going on for quite a while before I discovered it, etc. We'll see. Sometimes pleading works.

Anyway, in case Navico is stern and unbending and refuses to replace... does anyone know of an indie repair shop that fixes these units? It feels so incredibly un-eco and wasteful to just toss it and buy another (ouch). I thought of grabbing a used one off Ebay just for the motor, but it would be a darned expensive motor. If anyone has found a way to repair a TP22, knows where to source the parts etc, I'd be very interested.

Also has anyone else had their TP22 leak like a sieve after only 5 years of light service? Grrrr I hate disposable short-lifetime gizmos.

Tags
navico, simrad