Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 07:45   #1

Nav Station Location

In the building process and realize space is going to be tight. 22' cutter (Glen-L AMigo)
where would you put the nav station? Close to the companionway for ease of use or in the fore bulkhead to be further away from potential seas?

I'm at the point I must decide now to continue with the build and looking for advice.
WAS planning a chart table with radios, etc. where the head is located in my sketch and moving the head to the area between the V bunk ....

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doubleberth.stowage.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	15188  
colo.sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:33   #2

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
For a boat of that size, potential flat areas for setting out a chart are REALLY limited. I'd plan on realistic use of the galley table or an enhanced counter. Forget the forepeak. In rough weather it will be a zero-gravity experience alternated with crashing into seeming concrete as you fall off wavetops. Sleeping, alone, in that space is going to be a challenge. I'd save it for the head and for storage of sails and other gear, then use it for a bunk when you pull into a quiet harbor at the end of a passage.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:36   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I like having my nav station right at the base of the companionway. It's nice not to have to stumble over the off watch just to make a log entry.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:46   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
How about something that folds down over the sink and stove? That would be convenient to the cockpit.

I think traditional nav stations are mostly wasted space on typical cruising boats. I've rarely used any of mine. Who's going to have an assigned Nav/radio person sit at a nav station inside?

For planning, I prefer to use the larger saloon table. For on the go navigation, I usually need the chart or guidebook where I can refrence it form the helm. I'd much rather have the VHF just inside the companionway hatch where it can be heard and accessed from inside and out. Removing my VHF from the nav station is on my project list. (though I may add a second instead).
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:57   #5

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
One option for the radio is to use a VHF that has a remote handset option, such as Raymarine's Command Mic or the Garmin series. You get two radios, in effect, to handle the variety of places you will be when operating the radio. The new radios also couple with the rest of your navigation system to communicate GPS and distress info. If you are locating your electronics near the companionway, you can also make or build swing-away units to allow use of the multifunction display at the chart table location or make it visible into the cockpit. Swing-away makes it easier to get past when entering and leaving the cabin.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote